Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,561,859 times

Advertisements

How does one define urbane anyway?
having the polish and suavity regarded as characteristic of sophisticated social life in major cities: an urbane manner.

I would consider austin more urbane if lots of ppl spend their lives and work in austin compare to ppl who only work in houston, but then rush back to their suburban areas after work, so much that the bars and clubs close one after another in houston downtown. We do have a lot of urban buildings and urban structures, but that hardly makes it urbane.
I wouldn't consider houston downtown urbane when so many of its workers rush home after work, mostly to their suburb homes. Hopefully HP will change all that. If folks from real urbane places like boston and NY say Austin is more urbane, I would take their opinion cause that is my impression too. Of course, its all a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,421,766 times
Yeah you are right. Downtown Houston is dead after 5 PM...that is until 10 PM rolls around. Main Street is crowded and has a more diverse crowd, then you head south to Midtown (mostly on the weekends), and the bars/patios are full of people out having a good time (less diverse crowd, though). The workers sure as hell come home, but then the party goers come back out.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,580,825 times
In my opinion, our downtown doesn't need to be alive when the rest of the city is wide awake. Even though downtown is the center, it's not so much the core. And that's quite alright.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
If folks from real urbane places like boston and NY say Austin is more urbane, I would take their opinion cause that is my impression too. Of course, its all a matter of opinion.
Yet, I highly doubt any New Yorker would said that. Someone from Boston, maybe. But people from New York may very well be looking for a city in Texas most similar to their's, and that city is Houston. Where people live or what type of transportation is available would mean nothing to them if the city didn't provide the culture and exclusive lifestyle they're accustomed to.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
In my opinion, our downtown doesn't need to be alive when the rest of the city is wide awake. Even though downtown is the center, it's not so much the core. And that's quite alright.
Yeah, the central core of the city is actually Gessner at I-10 (right by Memorial City Mall). It is the geographic center of Houston. I want Downtown to be alive, though, and it has been since the Super Bowl in '04. The hotels downtown are booked solid throughout the week. Only on the weekends are rooms available.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Flat out rude statements like this is what gives Dallas a bad name.
Just repeating a cliche' I've heard from out-of-staters. Personally I think Dallas is a great place to visit as well.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Just repeating a cliche' I've heard from out-of-staters.
Oh, is that so? Because I've never heard anything negative about Austin or Houston from out-of-staters. The only negative things I hear about Houston come from--need I say it--Dallas.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Yeah, the central core of the city is actually Gessner at I-10 (right by Memorial City Mall). It is the geographic center of Houston. I want Downtown to be alive, though, and it has been since the Super Bowl in '04. The hotels downtown are booked solid throughout the week. Only on the weekends are rooms available.
So then what needs to be done in order for the life of the city to be concentrated on downtown? That's my question. When I think downtown Houston, I would like to think "excitement 24-7."

Old 05-29-2007, 05:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
Quote:
Oh, is that so? Because I've never heard anything negative about Austin or Houston from out-of-staters. The only negative things I hear about Houston come from--need I say it--Dallas.
Then you need to read around some more. There is plenty of trash talk about ALL of the entire state of Texas and the cities here in Texas on other states threads. Plenty of bad talk from out-of-staters on even Houston AND Austin.

BTW, just curious how a kid in high school even knows about the club scene in either downtown Houston or Dallas? Not you mpope but the other Houston gung-ho junkie that likes to put down the Dallas area every chance they can that has only lived here a year or so and I doubt is even old enough to drive.

I do have to agree that these your city sucks and mine is better are pretty old and the same goes w/ all of those that just flat out don't like Texas or any of the cities. I'll defend all of Texas and all of our cities no matter what but that is because I've been around to most of the other "hot" spots in the nation and I'd even live in Houston if it was the only place in Texas I had to choose from.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
So then what needs to be done in order for the life of the city to be concentrated on downtown? That's my question. When I think downtown Houston, I would like to think "excitement 24-7."
Well, tell the developers to stop building master-planned communities in Katy, Fulshear, and Cypress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then you need to read around some more. There is plenty of trash talk about ALL of the entire state of Texas and the cities here in Texas on other states threads. Plenty of bad talk from out-of-staters on even Houston AND Austin.

BTW, just curious how a kid in high school even knows about the club scene in either downtown Houston or Dallas? Not you mpope but the other Houston gung-ho junkie that likes to put down the Dallas area every chance they can that has only lived here a year or so and I doubt is even old enough to drive.

I do have to agree that these your city sucks and mine is better are pretty old and the same goes w/ all of those that just flat out don't like Texas or any of the cities. I'll defend all of Texas and all of our cities no matter what but that is because I've been around to most of the other "hot" spots in the nation and I'd even live in Houston if it was the only place in Texas I had to choose from.
I know people who go down there, and reading up on Houston's forum. I rarely post there, but it is a good read. People say Downtown Houston is real active at night.

Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF® (Powered by Invision Power Board)

And I am old enough to drive. I don't bash Dallas either, just hate it when people put down Houston and its people with no facts or anything. I hate that ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas