Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,728,407 times

Advertisements

For Ag exempt, how much money do you have to invest to allow goats or cattle to graze? I dont' see how it can be expensive if its someone else's cattle on your land. Not until you build your fence does it get expensive. Goats are better lawn mowers anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Actually, the kind of management can be relatively easy - in fact, easier than managing domestic livestock (I've got both on the place).

You need to provide a supplemental source of food or water OR habitat OR an assortment of other things. Most of it is things that you'd be doing anyway in the course of taking appropriate care of the land. You can also use the land for recreational purposes, either personal, or for profit.

The rollback tax applies whether you've got a 1-d-1 ag for wildlife or for regular agriculture, by the way. Both are a form of 1-d-1.

You do need do have a plan, in writing, filed. You do need to go by that plan. But I know people who, for example, clear some brush and leave the brush piles rather than burning or chipping or hauling them off, and that qualifies as habitat creation because the critters they're targeting think that brushpiles make dandy habitat.

A lot depends on what particular kind of wildlife you're targeting, of course. But it's really no more expensive or time consuming than running livestock or raising crops - in many cases, much less so.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM

341 posts, read 690,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Managing the land for wildlife is also managing existing wildlife on the land. It's not just birds. This includes feed and recording the wildlife. I think I spend 7500 a year on corn for those animals. If you have a large deer population, the doe are like rats, you have to "manage" the population. Are you suggesting you get an exemption for doing nothing?
No, We are just tossing ideas around right now. We will keep the ag exempt for a couple of years, but then we want to build a couple of houses on the property and do not want to repay 5 years worth of property taxes, since we did not own the property during that time. We are thinking of some kind of animal habitat. Maybe bat houses to help with the mesquitos control. We still have some of studying to do.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
Hello, I stumbled across this thread while searching the possibility of losing my AG exemption and having my taxes rolled back. I use the wildlife exemption for my AG and have since I purchased the property in 2003...If done correctly the wildlife exemption can be complicated, especially if you have property in a very strict county..My county, Lee, checks my property about four times a year to see if I am in compliance. The first poster said he already had water and erosion control in place..I was told that a activity could not be one that was already in place..(you cant use the existing tank for one of your activities, you have to build a new one)..I also saw a poster say he spends $7500 on corn, I was told that corn is not an eligible food supplement so I use roasted soybeans...Also, last year I got my exemption denied because I was told that the three activities must target a specific species, and although I did five, none covered the same species for three. (I got it back because I had actually forgot to check a box). I just received my notification from the county that my yearly report is due....wish me luck! All and all, the wildlife exemption as been unpleasant, mainly due to the county being so strict...I would actually like to take the property out of Ag, but cannot take a 13k hit..Better yet, eliminate the property tax system..Think hard about the wildlife exemption..I wish everyone the best of luck.......

Last edited by Sgt911; 11-10-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, the kind of management can be relatively easy - in fact, easier than managing domestic livestock (I've got both on the place).

You need to provide a supplemental source of food or water OR habitat OR an assortment of other things. Most of it is things that you'd be doing anyway in the course of taking appropriate care of the land. You can also use the land for recreational purposes, either personal, or for profit.

The rollback tax applies whether you've got a 1-d-1 ag for wildlife or for regular agriculture, by the way. Both are a form of 1-d-1.

You do need do have a plan, in writing, filed. You do need to go by that plan. But I know people who, for example, clear some brush and leave the brush piles rather than burning or chipping or hauling them off, and that qualifies as habitat creation because the critters they're targeting think that brushpiles make dandy habitat.

A lot depends on what particular kind of wildlife you're targeting, of course. But it's really no more expensive or time consuming than running livestock or raising crops - in many cases, much less so.
When you say "for recreational purposes, either personal, or for profit." - Could you do short term rentals on the land potentially? Say for RVs or Tiny Homes? I would think that "improving" the land to accommodate the needs of an RV or Tiny Home (electricity/water/waste) would be enough to bring the land out of ag exemption. Do you know where the boundaries are here? Thanks in advance for any help, and your already helpful comments on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: