Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM

19 posts, read 28,138 times

Advertisements

hello, this is my first post so if im doing something wrong please go easy on me. Im looking into moving to Texas, ive done some research and so far im really liking what im seeing but i havent really talked to anyone from texas yet, and im basically looking for a little direction or some advise as to what area/city would suit me best. This spring im packing up my bike for 18days and im going to come down and take a look around first hand. Here's a little background info on me; as of right now i live in eastern Pennsylvania, i was born and raised here and one thing i am definitely noticing as i get older is that i have less and less in common with the people around me. Im ready to settle down more or less but i just cant see myself living out my days up here. Im one of the few people i know under the age of 40 (im 22) that still believe in god, im not super religious but i do have morals, i listen to pretty much exclusively country, drive an old truck (1979 ford f150) which all my friends except maybe one or two hate. I am a tool and die maker by trade so i guess if i move getting a job in that field would be ideal at least to start out, ideally i would love to work with horses but i dont know if there's much money or demand in that. Im pretty much the good ole boy type looking for an area where ill have more in common with the local people. A small town setting where people look out for their neighbor instead of figure out how to cheat them or "one up" them, i apologize for the ramble, and any advise is much appreciated.

p.s. -I am single with out kids but i do want a family one day so good schools are definitly a plus

thankyou again,
-Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,685,805 times
First of all you are not allowed to move to Texas unless you learn how to say "Ya'll".

Just kidding............

You did everything right getting on this forum. As for your question on where to live. Do you have any idea how big Texas is? It would take 5-6 days just to drive the perimeter. About 3.5 Pennsylvanias can fit inside of Texas. It will be hard to tell you where to look.

All I could add is the Texas economy has not suffered like the rest of the country until around Sept when the financial crisis hit. While Texas might not be in an economic depression like the rest of the country, you could say we have hit a recession. Jobs have dried up like a dead Possum on the side of the road. Dallas seems to be better off then Houston area where I am.

Your trade might do well east of Houston where there are so may energy companies. Maybe even NASA the worlds biggest beauracratic disaster boondoggle. I have noticed Farm hand type jobs and Horse Trainer assistant type work advertised now and then. Even ones where you live on the farm and get paid.

You will love the weather here over PA. You sure as hell will love the highway infrastructure here. I know you are aware that PA is rated the most obsolete highway system in America. Texas is #1 but rates low in light rail and mass transit but that dont bother many people.

So you need to decide many more likes before anyone can give you places to live. Start on the Gulf Coast. You might love the salt air and the fishing opportunities.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,092,080 times
Good Luck

Last edited by Mark Senior; 01-19-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM

thanks for the response, ill have to start working on my "y'all" haha, funny thing is when i talk to people i get alot of "your not from around here are you" i mostly get it when im giving people a hand (car broken down or lending some tools i might have handy)

I know texas is pretty big but thats ok my trip is going to be 3500 miles round trip and im figuring on 3-ten hour days riding each way. I was leaning towards north central texas (denison tx) possibly? any opinions?

For finding a job im good at what i do and i like it but i dont love it so i was thinking of an area where i could live and commute to work (machine shop) even if its and hour each way, and once im settled i could find work on a horse farm? its good to hear that texas isnt doing as bad as the rest of the country, here in pa its not horrible and im in a good spot where im at but im just not happy. I know im asking for alot here but i only want to move once, i really do appreciate your input desertsun41 so thankyou again

I agree on the highways up here to call them terrible would be a compliment, just in my 15 minute commute to work i have probably 10 pot holes that i have to swerve around because they're tire blowers. the mass transit not being tops doesnt bother me one bit im looking for a rural setting maybe within an hour of a city or so. I just dont want to get caught up in "urban sprawl". My grandfathers old farm is now a shopping complex and me and my dad's favorite hunting spot is now full of townhouses

i think i would love the coast my only problem, and maybe its stupid because i havent done all the research yet is if theres a hurricane threat i dont want to get mixed up in that

thanks again for the help,
-jay

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM

thanks Mark-Tyler i do believe in the good lord and i dont think i should feel like im the only one that does, we must have been typing at the same time or i would have responded to you in my previous post. I 100 percent agree with your opinion of metro areas and their extensions, where i live now its an extension of newyork, new jersey, and philadelphia an hour to my south.

I have looked at Georgia, the carolinas, and parts of florida, and nothing against those places but for me i think i want a less humid climate with no or little threat of hurricanes, as dumb as it may sound. Ive heard of alot of people from my area moving to those places and i dont want to follow them. ive been from florida to maine and i havent "loved" the weather in that span mainly because of the humidity, ive heard texas is more "dry" and i love the idea of that, my parents visited dallas a long time ago and fell in love with it, when i talked to them they said i would love it there "climate wise" among others

im going to have to do some research on Tyler i do like the location in eastern texas, you seem very happy there

this is in no way swaying me on where to move to its just curiosity, are there certain parts of texas that have the "southern drawl" as opposed to other areas

thankyou for your help
-jay

Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 PM

i just thought id throw this out there, i should say this first, i am riding a harley down for the trip but im by no means a "biker" so dont get the wrong impression, i just like riding motorcycles and i didnt want something that goes 200 mph. I am open to meeting up with someone for lunch to talk to and maybe show me around a little while im down there?

-jay

Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,092,080 times
Must've of being typing at the same time. Just noticed 20 minutes apart. If the last post is still on here that starts "my family is moving to Texas" there is quite a bit about Tyler or if you don't see it. I will go into my sales pitch. Tyler, is around 100,000 pop though not really small and serves many smaller towns around. Let me know if you get to read that post. Mark

Well, that post is off. "Wet and Dry" near the bottom has alot to say about Tyler and for that matter Texas. Tyler and East Texas is more humid than Central or West Texas but is much more Southern. From what I understand terrain is some similar to Eastern Penn. at least vegatation wise. Has four seasons. But very mild winter. Friends at work ever go to a cowboy church nearby. One of four I've heard about. This area is one of the Bilble Belts of the South. I attend a church with an active singles or all ages department. But again not a small church 5,000 attendence but most churches don't have singles sunday school/Bible studies. Even with hundreds of churchs, Tyler in many ways is like those larger cities we were talking about.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 01-19-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM

595 posts, read 2,724,403 times
I've lived in 6 different cities in Texas. I would say...if you feel you can get hired in most places...then I would go for the climate or the atmosphere. If you like trees and rolling hills...I would say anywhere from Sherman to Canton and east....if you like trees but desire a warm climate 10 months a year I would say Huntsville over to Houston. If you like tropical I would say Corpus to Brownsville. If you like flat and dry and not a lot of trees....anywhere in west Texas. Texas is a wonderful place and I could list all of my favorite places...but I'll let some more people answer and see where it goes.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,585,631 times
You would fit in in almost every small town in Texas, but since you're looking for less humidity, stay west of I-35 as a general rule. Eastern Texas is where you will find the Southern drawl most often, but it exists all over the state. Denison is a rather humid place, and heat is brutal in the summer, but I think you would like it. I would suggest a town near Abilene or off the Caprock east of Lubbock. I believe that's where the most horse farms and ranches are (and the scenery looks like its straight out of a western movie).

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Mark-Tyler thats alot of good information that you just cant find until you talk to someone who lives there, im a little torn now i love the "southern" mentality i can really relate to people i meet like that, but at the same time i like the dryer climate your speaking of, and i wont be able to decide behind this computer so im going to have to start in east texas and zig zag my way west.

I'll have to look for that post your talking about too it sounds interesting. I am a religious guy, although i dont go to church as much as i would like, mostly due to working overtime but 5000 people in one church just blew my mind, i was able to make it last sunday to my church and i think we had 10 people in the whole place including the minister haha but while im out i will be stopping in somewhere for a sunday sermon, afterall this trip is going to be spiritual to say the least. for my trip i think tyler is worth a visit if nothing else im sure its better than where im at, im thinking i might like one of the small towns outside of the city

destin04- Thankyou for the information also thats what i was looking for too, i think im gonna have to see (almost) all of texas to see what fits me best, from what you said i think ill like different parts of texas for different reasons.

thankyou again everyone for your input it is very helpful
-jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas