Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A (San Antonio) State Senator said she's working on a bill that would force retailers to eventually eliminate all plastic bag use statewide. State Sen. Leticia Van De Putte, D-San Antonio, said Senate Bill 338 would require all retailers to offer recycling stations as well as reasonably priced reusable bags.
Van De Putte Wants Plastic Bags Trashed - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/18230853/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
who will define "reasonably priced?"

that said .... i don't even use a bag unless i am purchasing more than about 3 things or so........

Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
All the stores are selling re-usable bags for .99. Sounds good to me. I have 7 of them. they are like the plastic bags, they keep multiplying. I keep em in the car and take them into the stores, food stores or Lowe's or whereever. Not all 7 every time....just when I go food shopping. So you can get used to it.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
"Reasonably Priced" - yep, Targets BETTER reusable bags are $5.

I bought 3 HUGE reusable bags on vacation this summer in Aruba. I LOVE THOSE! They were .99 cents as were the bags I've bought at Central Market and Tom Thumb. I take them w/ me grocery shopping all the time. They hold SOOOO MUCH MORE than the regular plastic bags and I can usually get a overflowing cart full of groceries in the house in 3 trips w/ the reusable bags. And no worries about them ripping and stuff falling out and breaking. Once you start using them you fall in love with them.

Now, how to get more people in the swing of things to use them? Maybe the stores could give 1 away with every purchase over say $50 for a limited time period (1-2 months).

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
What's wrong with the "old-fashioned" way of using recyclable paper bags? These bags are made from wood produced on tree farms, a renewable source of wood that doesn't require cuttting old-growth forests. They decompose in landfills very quickly as well. Perhaps an incentive program to use re-usable bags in addition to the paper bags. Offer a 1% discount on groceries if you use a reusable bag. I just don't want to have to tote bags with me since I am an infrequent shopper. I'm too cheap to want to always buy a bag. It's free now and I'm a cheapskate & want it to be free in the future. Hence my idea of a discount to offset the price of the reusable bag.
Of course, maybe it's time I get rid of my old-fashioned thinking and just stuff a few re-usable bags in my car and get with the program.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
At our neighborhood discount grocery store (WinCo Foods), they take $0.60 off your bill for every re-usable bag you bring, regardless of your total bill. The reusable bags they sell only cost $0.69, so making your money back is very easy. I don't know how they worked it out to make sense financially for them, but I'll take it!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Van De Putte Wants Plastic Bags Trashed - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/18230853/detail.html - broken link)
Well, POOP!!

I mean that literally! There is nothing better than a Walmart bag for lining the bucket to pick up dog poop! I have a 5-gallon bucket that I line with the bag, pick up, then tie the bag shut.

Enclose in another Walmart bag, tie, throw in outside trash container (mine is now curb pickup) and you're done.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Well, that sucks, since plastic grocery bags (into which we stuff as many items as possible when at the store so as to leave with very few) serve nicely to line trash cans in the house, help with dog poop pick-up, re-use for carrying other items, putting liquid items into that you want to pack in a suitcase (in case of explosion), putting dirty clothes in on trips...

We also like the paper bags, though. We reuse them like crazy!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, that sucks, since plastic grocery bags (into which we stuff as many items as possible when at the store so as to leave with very few) serve nicely to line trash cans in the house, help with dog poop pick-up, re-use for carrying other items, putting liquid items into that you want to pack in a suitcase (in case of explosion), putting dirty clothes in on trips...

We also like the paper bags, though. We reuse them like crazy!
I do all of that too. Since I went to the reusable bags it took me awhile to go thru my plastic bags. Then one day I needed one and there wasn't one! AGH!!! After I had milk sweat and leak in the reusable bags I have them put my milk in a plastic bag. So I get 2-3 plastic bags a week and that has been plenty to reuse for other purposes.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:12 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
what are we turning into? California? first HEB wants to charge for them, now a liberal wants to get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas