Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM

96 posts, read 209,650 times

Advertisements

I hate any accent that isn't Texan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,317 times
Aww, this kinda makes me sad - I am one of those horribly sounding NYers some of you are speaking of, and I'm so sorry the sound of my voice will want to make some of you put a knife to your own throats .. just kidding. Anyway, I LOVE the Texas accent. It's a very slight drawl from what I've heard, like the perfect amount, not too strong, just perfect.
I find it absolutely hysterical that NOTAM actually LIKES the Boston accent but at the same time hates the NY and NJ accent. No accents bother me, (perhaps since I have such a hideous uneducated sounding NY accent) but I must say, the Boston accent is probably the worst, most annoying sound I have ever heard ... perhaps NOTAM has never been to Boston to hear it in person? And btw, the Kennedy's do NOT have a Boston accent, at least not the Boston accent that you will hear when you actually GO to Boston.
One last comment from the annoying NYer .. I am moving to Texas, and the number one reason I picked Texas is based on something I've obviously created in my own mind .. that every person is kind, welcoming, inviting, non judgemental, and .. well, has a great accent! I think I've made up quite the fantasy of what I'm hoping to find in Texas .. cowboys, and sweet beautiful gentle women, and Christian Conservative .. ahhh, fantasies .. oh well! I wasn't really expecting to see a cowboy on every corner - sigh - but I WAS expecting the kindness ... oh the kindness I was so looking forward too!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
You will find that kindness when you get here for sure. You have to understand that some of the chillens get to fussin' on a message board, but it doesn't mean much. It's so easy when it anonymous.
You will find all kinds of accents around here - Texas has become a real melting pot. Stay long enough and you will find that Texas twang is contagious - even my British neighbor developed it after several years. I doubt there is anywhere in Texas that you won't find both men and women wearing cowboy boots OR that you won't find friendly, welcoming people.

Come on down

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I like the NY accent. It seems exotic around here!

Don't worry about it if you're criticized. Those who do so are morons. You'll be able to tell by the way they sound.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
Good thing you're in Buffalo, then.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
East Texans typically have that Deep Southern draw not found in the rest of Texas. Its very similar to what a person from Alabama or Georgia may sound like.
yeah...this is a conclusion that Ive come to as well...Being from the region, I once was of the opinion that East Texas held only mildly southern traits...

well, after several trips back and fourth through the entire south, I have come to the conclusion that East Texas (Marshall/Longview/Tyler, Lufkin/Nacogdoches, Beaumont/PA...but particularly Marshall, Longview, Tyler) is absolutely in the Deep south..Thats only my opinion of course, but it is now a very well informed opinion. Based on my personal travels, everything about the region is very reminiscent of Alabama, Mississippi, Northern LA, and Georgia....

Once on I-20 from Atlanta, it literally feels like traveling through one big state, all the way through Tyler, TX...Now NC and Virginia are a completely different kind of southern culture...

But I found the accents, culture, and topography in East Texas to be barely distinguishable, if at all, from what I saw and heard in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
yeah...this is a conclusion that Ive come to as well...Being from the region, I once was of the opinion that East Texas held only mildly southern traits...

well, after several trips back and fourth through the entire south, I have come to the conclusion that East Texas (Marshall/Longview/Tyler, Lufkin/Nacogdoches, Beaumont/PA...but particularly Marshall, Longview, Tyler) is absolutely in the Deep south..Thats only my opinion of course, but it is now a very well informed opinion. Based on my personal travels, everything about the region is very reminiscent of Alabama, Mississippi, Northern LA, and Georgia....

Once on I-20 from Atlanta, it literally feels like traveling through one big state, all the way through Tyler, TX...Now NC and Virginia are a completely different kind of southern culture...

But I found the accents, culture, and topography in East Texas to be barely distinguishable, if at all, from what I saw and heard in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.
Solytaire,

This (bolded) part brings to mind almost verbatim what a life-long friend of mine once told me. He was public relations director at Stephen F. Austin University (Nacogdoches) and, during that time, got to be friends with a professor who was originally from Georgia.

According to my buddy, the prof said that when he first found he had the job and would be re-locating, his whole concept of Texas was based on what he had seen in western movies. In fact, he was looking forward to what he fully expected would living in wide-open spaces, ranches, and such. Instead, as the Georgia guy put it (as best I can recall), "I was very surprised to find I was still in the Deep South...there is really not much I can think of any different all the way from my hometown in Georgia to here..."

Anyway, yeah, that "Lower South" accent is very prevelent in East Texas. In most of the rest of the state (exceptions being in areas with lots of northern transplants, or very upper-panhandle and trans-pecos), the Southern American English sub-dialect is more akin to that found in the the Upper South states (particularly eastern Tennesee and far northern Alabama, reflecting settlement patterns). That is, a "twangy" quality as opposed to a softer "drawl". The former accent is often associated with country music singers (not suprising, since a disproportionate number of country music artists come from a "cresent" extending from Virginia/West Virginia thru Kentucky and Tennessee and down thru Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas).

Oh well, time to get to work. See all y'all this weekend!

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-12-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,792 times
My Raachester accent is probably the least musical anywhere.

I find the Texas accent charming, and near-lethal when coming from some of the women you have down there.

S

Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
My Raachester accent is probably the least musical anywhere.

I find the Texas accent charming, and near-lethal when coming from some of the women you have down there.

S
Don't you mean that you find the Texas accent "chah-ming, and neah leath-ahl"

Call me crazy but I actually enjoy the Penny Marshall/Jill Zorn accent (which I understand is very different from the upstate NY / Maine accent).

That severe Boston accent grates on me, though. A little more than the 'Cah-goe dialect.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 AM

85 posts, read 317,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
I like a good Texas drawl. Reminds me of cowboys
I really think Midwesterners got the short end of the stick when it comes to accents. I don't sound like anything special until I say "wash" which comes out with an "r" in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas