Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,968,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Same here. Texas is my home now and the members of my family that live here feel the same way.
This is my story too. I am not native and really did not expect to stay, but but before I knew it Texas felt like home. There are too many good qualities here that aren't always evident at first glance to an outsider. I think the biggest thing for me was just the complete openness of almost everything. Towns in the northeast, where I was from, tended to be "locked in" feeling where the power is concentrated with a few, and it's been the same for a couple of hundred years. You had your place and you stuck in it, as your family did. Almost European-like thinking.

Texas is still a place where you can make it your own, become as wildly successful (or as horribly destitute) as you want to... nobody really can stand in your way if you have just a little bit of ambition. I guess most western states have a bit of this feeling, but in Texas it's just reinforced with the limited government and high importance placed on personal freedom and liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,119,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Wow, you sound like an arrogant snob. I'm pretty sure Texas will be even more glad to see you go.
took the words right off my keyboard......

Old 02-16-2015, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
Default Why I broke up with you, west Texas/Why to Run, Not walk, from west Texas

1. When I mentioned to the CEO of the company that no one who worked there had ever worked anywhere outside of west Texas you thought it was a compliment.
2. When I asked where the nearest Greek restaurant was the locals said, “Dallas”.
3. When I wanted to visit a museum I had to drive 3 hours to Dallas.
4. When I decided my job there was not worth dealing with what the locals called “traffic” when it took 7 minutes to get to work.
5. When a local said, “I’m not sure growth is good” when the town of Big Spring had grown from a whopping 25,000 to 27,000 in two years.
6. When a local said, “You must be from the city” and I replied, “McKinney”. They then said, “That’s somewhere out East, ain't it”?
7. When I heard "I'm fixin to go" one more time.
8. When your idea of a night out on the town was a beer and sitting on the back of a pickup truck.
For those reasons, west Texas, I feel we "ain't" compatible. Although I wish you all of the best, I’m just not a west Texas gal.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:33 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,759,326 times
Texas Native...
Left 30 years ago and have never looked back.
- There are way too many narrow minded rednecks IMHO.
- I have to go back twice a year to see my elderly parents.
- Wish they lived someplace else...but no hard feelings.
- Wishing all of you Texans the very best.
- Hoping someday you'll be more progressive.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:45 PM

232 posts, read 362,660 times
Don't worry Kirby we already surpassed California in many aspects such as economical, technological, and environmental. For instance, Texas has the largest Wind Farm in the U.S.A., we surpassed California in technology exports, and in addition our economy is still moving forward even though the oil industry is a bust. No need to worry about us. Worry about your own brainwashed state. I wish you the best of luck, you'll need it. :P

Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,045,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
My email signature says it all:

Every Texan that has dared to cross the state line in his or her lifetime has returned disappointed and confused. The fact of the matter is there is no other state worth living in, or even traveling to, than the great State of Texas. So why would a Texan ever leave the state?
I absolutely agree. I think Texas has a way of spoiling its residents. People get used to the culture and luxuries and think its like that everywhere else when its not. They leave and become disappointed and go back.

I took a job in washington d.c and I didn't even last 3 months. I'm heading back to texas.

Texas doesn't have state tax and its top cities Houston dallas and austin have tons of things to do.

All 3 cities make d.c. look like a ghost town.
NYC is overrated and its dirty compared to Houston.

I would rather deal with the heat then snowstorms that keep you indoors, painful bone chilling below 10 degree weather amd ice that causes accidents.

Texas top cities are all the jack of all trades. Housing is affordable, nightlife is decent, there's good amount of stuff to do, it's diverse etc. etc. I think thats what makes it one of the best places to live.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,518,995 times
I love Texas its high on my places to move to after graduate school. Texas has it all thats all it has so many haters. Texas is one my favorite states to visit people the people are outgoing and welcoming unlike most US States, Texans generally go out their way to make you feel welcome places thats why I really like visiting the state.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,238,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Texas Native...
Left 30 years ago and have never looked back.
- There are way too many narrow minded rednecks IMHO.
- I have to go back twice a year to see my elderly parents.
- Wish they lived someplace else...but no hard feelings.
- Wishing all of you Texans the very best.
- Hoping someday you'll be more progressive.
Too many drugged zombies in California for me; so we like different things.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,490,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love Texas its high on my places to move to after graduate school. Texas has it all thats all it has so many haters. Texas is one my favorite states to visit people the people are outgoing and welcoming unlike most US States, Texans generally go out their way to make you feel welcome places thats why I really like visiting the state.
Hey! Lexington seems to be a beautiful place. I've only been through there once but the horse farms with the white rail fences along the tree-lined roadways were great.

Good music in Kentucky as well. Yeh, I'm old.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM

92 posts, read 114,070 times
I hated the heat and the lack of urban, walkable areas. I hate driving and I wanted something denser than Texas can offer. I also cannot stand the racist/narrow mindset found so commonly in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas