Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 12:12 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,624,739 times

Advertisements

Also, I still consider those suburbs that Houston annexed, suburbs... even if they are now a part of Houston-proper. Their streets may be patrolled by HPD, but I will always consider places like Kingwood, Eldridge/West Oaks, and Clear Lake "the suburbs". And they're not the only ones.

I find it kind of funny after reading back through this thread that the only people bitching about Houston were 2 guys from the way-out suburbs of Houston. One was from Humble, a terrible suburb if you ask me. The other was from Santa Fe, which is less an actual suburb, and more of a small backwater town on the fringes of the metro, that is mainly only known for being a notorious speed trap on the way from Sugarland to Galveston.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 10-19-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Hmmm...being in the same company as NYC, Boston, LA, D.C., and Miami? I'm assuming Dallasites will accept the compliment!
And I do accept!.......snobery is totally different from pretentious..... Dallas has always been known as a city that " tries to hard" to be something that its not. Since it has always been a false accusation .....its refreshing to see that Dallas is easing out of that stereotype and is now being credited for backing up our "SNOBERY" with "World Class Museums and Theatre "

Quote:
After a few years of somehow dodging the snobby top 10, Big D reminds readers what old-school attitude is about: this is a city where right-of-way is determined by blue-book value, and the stereotypically well-coiffed locals struck readers as the opposite of quirky. Staying at the Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, or shopping at NorthPark’s Neiman-Marcus have long been hallmarks of good Dallas living. The new generation of Ewings might also be found at downtown boutique hotel The Joule, which just got three new penthouse suites, a tasteful Taschen library that does a weekly champagne afternoon tea, and Texas’s first imported-from-Europe ESPA spa. Readers gave Dallas credit for backing up its attitude with world-class museums and theaters, including the Rem Koolhaas-designed Wyly Theatre

Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,588,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
And I do accept!.......snobery is totally different from pretentious..... Dallas has always been known as a city that " tries to hard" to be something that its not. Since it has always been a false accusation .....its refreshing to see that Dallas is easing out of that stereotype and is now being credited for backing up our "SNOBERY" with "World Class Museums and Theatre "
I liked how they said "world class museums and theater" when Houstons museums and theaters destroy Dallas'. Dallas doesn't even have a museum district or a theater district..

So are you saying snobbery and pretentiousness aren't bad?

Last edited by TexasTallest; 10-19-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I liked how they said "world class museums and theater" when Houstons museums and theaters destroy Dallas'. Dallas doesn't even have a museum district or a theater district..

So are you saying snobbery and pretentiousness aren't bad?
That's just plain ignorant. Does Dallas need to have a museum theater district?

Just because Dallas is not Houston doesn't mean you have to brag about it

FYI, Los Angeles has more theaters than Houston

Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow23 View Post
That's just plain ignorant. Does Dallas need to have a museum theater district?

Just because Dallas is not Houston doesn't mean you have to brag about it

FYI, Los Angeles has more theaters than Houston
It's "plain ignorant" when Houstonians use that logic for a better collection of museums and theater, but when Dallasites use that logic for supposedly having a better arts scene due to their "nations largest" arbitrary arts district it's not ignorant?

FYI, Los Angeles has twice as many people as Houston.. They should have twice as many theaters as Houston..? (Which they don't)

Old 10-19-2014, 01:03 PM

The second major demolition this year in downtown Houston took place this morning..

The 18 story Houston Club came down, making way for yet another tower..

Houston Club Building Implosion - YouTube

Old 10-19-2014, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
The second major demolition this year in downtown Houston took place this morning..

The 18 story Houston Club came down, making way for yet another tower..

Houston Club Building Implosion - YouTube
Waste of tax payers money...
It's funny how people consider Houston as a "historic city" but the all city does is demolish historic sites and destroy 19th century building to make room for a tower. And it's even more funny when they try to to build an early 20th century style building this year

Statistics show that Houston demolished more buildings than other city in the nation.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It's funny how people consider Houston as a "historic city" but the all city does is demolish historic sites and destroy 19th century building to make room for a tower. And it's even more funny when they try to to build an early 20th century style building this year

Statistics show that Houston demolished more buildings than other city in the nation.
Tax payers money? The developer paid for the demolition..
Who considers Houston a "historic city"? It's in the sunbelt.. A more recently developed region. There are few exceptions with history, like New Orleans, San Antonio, and St Augustine, but most metros in the south lack any old history.
19th century building? (I assume you are referring to the Houston Club..) that building was built in the later half of the 20th century...
What "early 20th century" style building are you talking about? The renovation of Houstons oldest skyscraper, into a JW Marriott? Oh yeah.. Converting a historic building back (almost) to its original design after some idiots slapped tacky facade onto the sides in the '60s is a hilarious joke..
"Statistics"?? You have yet to source a single claim you've made.. I'd like to see some of these statistics...

Old 10-19-2014, 03:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,624,739 times
Quote:

Everything you have posted so far just reads like blind bashing for the sake of bashing. You haven't backed up a single claim you've made with any facts or reasoning. I have to wonder how old you are, or if you have any real experience to even have a valid perspective on this subject.

While I will concede that Houston does have a tendency to tear down it's more historical structures to make way for the new (the Shamrock hotel fiasco is a great example), it's not like Houston is exactly unique in this area. All major sunbelt cities, with perhaps the exceptions of Los Angeles and San Antonio, are guilty of this.

Now, please do enlighten us all, what exactly is this "early 20th century style building" that they are supposedly building this year?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,499,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Now, please do enlighten us all, what exactly is this "early 20th century style building" that they are supposedly building this year?
Well since the 20th century was the period between January 1, 1901 and December 31, 2000...maybe they are referring to the restoration of the Harris County Courthouse??? However the restoration was completed in 2012 not this year.

Harris County Courthouse Houston Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas