Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
lmao, definitely not.. its always good for a few laughs. i just noticed though that all of these videos are from 2004 though, right after the rail opened, when many drivers were still not used to a new Houston with rail to deal with. took some stubborn Houstonians a while to give up the left turns on Main. accidents rarely happens anymore though. all but one of those videos were from around the TMC and midtown, where the rail interacts with the surface streets the most.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,318,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
lmao, definitely not.. its always good for a few laughs. i just noticed though that all of these videos are from 2004 though, right after the rail opened, when many drivers were still not used to a new Houston with rail to deal with. took some stubborn Houstonians a while to give up the left turns on Main. accidents rarely happens anymore though. all but one of those videos were from around the TMC and midtown, where the rail interacts with the surface streets the most.
oh this isn't good press

Destroyed In Seconds Houston Metro Rail - YouTube

This one from earlier this month could have been much worse.

[FULL & Version UNCUT!!] SUV Crashes With Train at Rail-Crossing in Houston - YouTube

Yikes! Looks like a cyclist was ran over too. very sad.

Houston METRORail Accident Cyclist Under Train July 22 - YouTube

Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM

meh, any press is better than no press. back in 2004 it probably helped raise awareness around the country that Houston finally got a rail system. heh.

that guy recently was a complete idiot. how did he not see the train coming/why would he drive around lowered rail road crossing arms?

yeah the cyclist accident was very unfortunate. i didnt realize it had already almost been a year. she was apparently riding her bike down the middle of the rail line with headphones in. not sure if she was drunk or not.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM

998 posts, read 1,327,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Its easy to ignore the facts. Dallas rail may have the miles, but it is definitely underused. If the university and uptown lines were under construction, Houston rail would probably have more riders s.
If........

As it stands NOW dart is the far superior light rail system. houstonians, Please stop lying to your selves and searching for moral victories

Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 PM

so the Dallasites admit pound for pound, nothing in DART rivals METROrail? the original DART starter lines (20 miles of track on the red and blue lines) didnt have as high of ridership as METROs original 8 mile line..

Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
If........

As it stands NOW dart is the far superior light rail system. houstonians, Please stop lying to your selves and searching for moral victories
DART rail doesn't carry a lot of passengers per mile, mostly due to its far superior system trying to combine suburban commuters and urban commuters into single type of rail along a good deal of underutilized freight lines.

I give DART props for delivering such a large system (miles) but it needs to stop expanding rail and focus on improving service to existing lines via better connectivity to it's adjacent neighborhood through bus and better pedestrian infrastructure.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
DART rail doesn't carry a lot of passengers per mile, mostly due to its far superior system trying to combine suburban commuters and urban commuters into single type of rail along a good deal of underutilized freight lines.

I give DART props for delivering such a large system (miles) but it needs to stop expanding rail and focus on improving service to existing lines via better connectivity to it's adjacent neighborhood through bus and better pedestrian infrastructure.
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....So i guess your saying Houston's rail line does all that???

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

420 posts, read 706,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
so the Dallasites admit pound for pound, nothing in DART rivals METROrail? the original DART starter lines (20 miles of track on the red and blue lines) didnt have as high of ridership as METROs original 8 mile line..

DART doesn't rival METRO rail because it surpasses it by too far to even be a competition. Who cares that more people mile for mile ride metro? This is an issue of car culture.

The bottom line is that in Dallas you can get access to the majority of the city and several suburbs on rail. You can get all the way to Fort Worth and Denton on rail. In a few short years, the greater part of the entire metroplex including DFW airport will be accessible to rail. I only use the train 5 times or less per year, but it's actually there for me when I need it, unlike in Houston. Regardless of how many people use it per mile of track, Dallas actually has the track and accessibility. Houston's rail is nonexistent outside of its core.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
DART doesn't rival METRO rail because it surpasses it by too far to even be a competition. Who cares that more people mile for mile ride metro? This is an issue of car culture.

The bottom line is that in Dallas you can get access to the majority of the city and several suburbs on rail. You can get all the way to Fort Worth and Denton on rail. In a few short years, the greater part of the entire metroplex including DFW airport will be accessible to rail. I only use the train 5 times or less per year, but it's actually there for me when I need it, unlike in Houston. Regardless of how many people use it per mile of track, Dallas actually has the track and accessibility. Houston's rail is nonexistent outside of its core.

PERFECTLY put!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM

We never said DART didn't have the more extensive system, were just saying dart does **** poor at doing it's job (moving large numbers of people around)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas