Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 07:19 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times

Advertisements

From an outsides perspective:

Fort Worth is defiently the cow-town. It perpetuates the image of the "real" west.
Dallas seems like more of an east-coast city with southern flair. It always has seemed to me as the quintessential Texas city.
Houston has always seemed the most "Southern" city. Very relaxed, blue-collar, etc.
San Antonio has always seemed the charming Texas city. Tons of history, culture, the riverwalk, etc.
Austin has always seemed to be the miniture L.A. Very funky, "cool", and fun.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Dallas seems like more of an east-coast city with southern flair. It always has seemed to me as the quintessential Texas city.
Why do people always say that? Nothing about Dallas says east coast to me.

Quote:
Houston has always seemed the most "Southern" city. Very relaxed, blue-collar, etc.
Houston is just as white collar as Dallas. If not more. Only difference is that many people in Houston don't dress for the part.

And I would also say that Dallas and Houston are both largely Southern, with Houston having the more worldly edge.

Quote:
San Antonio has always seemed the charming Texas city. Tons of history, culture, the riverwalk, etc.
Couldn't agree more. It's the only city whose downtown is absolved from the Sunbelt stereotype.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

What I am wondering, though, is where all of this popular attention that Dallas has been receiving lately is coming from. At first, I just thought all of these hotels and designers came to Dallas in order to cater to the Neiman Marcus crowd, but I'm starting to wonder if Dallas has some secret pull that Houston doesn't know about.

Yeah, Dallas receiving the first Mandarin Oriental in Texas (as well as the first Valentino and Ritz Carlton)...you can imagine I wasn't too happy about that. I was counting on Houston getting it. What the hell is going on??

Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
Houston is just as white collar as Dallas. If not more. Only difference is that many people in Houston don't dress for the part.

And I would also say that Dallas and Houston are both largely Southern, with Houston having the more worldly edge.
Dallas perpetuates the image of being a very white collar, world class city. I rarely read anything about Houston in the paper but Dallas always has something notable going on from time to time. Dallas seems to get more publicity than Houston and the one thing Dallas claims that Houston never could is a widely popular tv drama in its' name.

Quote:
Why do people always say that? Nothing about Dallas says east coast to me
Dallas is more sophisticated and upscale than Houston. Dallasites seem to dress up more than Houstonians. Dallas seems to be a bit more uptight and image conscious while Houston seems more relaxed.

Quote:
Yeah, Dallas receiving the first Mandarin Oriental in Texas (as well as the first Valentino and Ritz Carlton)...you can imagine I wasn't too happy about that. I was counting on Houston getting it. What the hell is going on??
Ooh I didn't know Dallas was getting a Mandrian Oriental.

I think Dallas tries more aggresively to attract upscale hotels, retailers, etc etc to the area than Houston does. Dallas wants to keep it's image as the glamorous city of Texas.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Dallas perpetuates the image of being a very white collar, world class city. I rarely read anything about Houston in the paper but Dallas always has something notable going on from time to time. Dallas seems to get more publicity than Houston and the one thing Dallas claims that Houston never could is a widely popular tv drama in its' name.
Well, as long the television still exists, I'm sure there's still a chance for Houston, lol.

And publicity seems to be about even between the two cities. Probably with Houston getting more attention, and Dallas getting more respect.

Quote:
Dallas is more sophisticated and upscale than Houston.
WRONG. Dallas is more showy than Houston. Houston has that average mixture of the pretentious, the normal, and the tacky. As far as fashion goes, experts know that Dallas has the more classy, American look available and Houston leans more toward the haute couture looks.

Quote:
Dallasites seem to dress up more than Houstonians. Dallas seems to be a bit more uptight and image conscious while Houston seems more relaxed.
For the most part, yes. But that's because Dallas has always been that way. Houston is normal.

Quote:
I think Dallas tries more aggresively to attract upscale hotels, retailers, etc etc to the area than Houston does. Dallas wants to keep it's image as the glamorous city of Texas.
I wouldn't say glamorous.

I know you favor Dallas, but keep in mind that I've lived in Texas my entire life. I know these places and their people like the back of my hand.

Last edited by mpope409; 10-22-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
As far as fashion goes, experts know that Dallas has the more classy, American look available and Houston leans more toward the haute couture looks.
The selections available at the Neiman Marcus in Houston easily trumps those in Dallas. Ask any girl. Well, the better dressing girls, atleast.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
I'm glad some of us can shop at Neiman Marcus. As for me, I'm relegated to much lesser venues to get my clothes..

Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
How is Houston similar to LA? I know some Houstonians who think of Houston as more a Southern city. Maybe it depends on your family background. If a Houstonian goes back several generations in Texas and before that, other parts of the South, then they will think of it as Southern. If their parents or grandparents came from elsewhere, they'd probably wouldn't.

There are obvious differences like mountains, weather, silicone, movie stars, excessive grafitti, etc... but urban sprawl, automobile-way of life, traffic, smog, crime, gangs, mega freeways and plenty of Asians among worldly multi-culturalism are things that come to mind you just can't ignore. You can be in certain parts of LA or OC and literally swear you were in Houston. In OC, especially look in Anaheim or Garden Grove. Chain stores, junky strip malls, fast food, gas stations (albeit a bit fewer) and houses backed up to major streets that have those concrete sound barriers... just like home!

Name a "southern city" that is minority-majority, has ~90 languages spoken in it AND is nearly 2/5ths Hispanic. Mobile? Biloxi? Chattanooga? New Orleans? Little Rock? Don't think so. Sorry, not even in Atlanta.

My parents and grandparents are all Texans. A good chunk of my relatives are "southerners." A southerner who has been around will tell you there's a pretty distinct difference here!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 AM

189 posts, read 915,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm glad some of us can shop at Neiman Marcus. As for me, I'm relegated to much lesser venues to get my clothes..

Seriously, try the sales racks. When Neiman's puts something on sale, they put it on sale.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There are obvious differences like mountains, weather, silicone, movie stars, excessive grafitti, etc... but urban sprawl, automobile-way of life, traffic, smog, crime, gangs, mega freeways and plenty of Asians among worldly multi-culturalism are things that come to mind you just can't ignore. You can be in certain parts of LA or OC and literally swear you were in Houston. In OC, especially look in Anaheim or Garden Grove. Chain stores, junky strip malls, fast food, gas stations (albeit a bit fewer) and houses backed up to major streets that have those concrete sound barriers... just like home!

Name a "southern city" that is minority-majority, has ~90 languages spoken in it AND is nearly 2/5ths Hispanic. Mobile? Biloxi? Chattanooga? New Orleans? Little Rock? Don't think so. Sorry, not even in Atlanta.

My parents and grandparents are all Texans. A good chunk of my relatives are "southerners." A southerner who has been around will tell you there's a pretty distinct difference here!
I lived in Houston for a short while many years ago and I've been through LA several times. I guess I just never thought they would be so similar. I always thought Houston was a much smaller city, on the order of maybe 2 million in population while LA has several million more. Or maybe after you've past a couple of million it doesn't matter. Maybe I've just been in both cities at the wrong times because it sure seemed to me that LA is by far the dirtier, smoggier, more congested and just all around more stifling in terms of the sprawl and the population. The only thing I ever liked about LA was the Hollywood sign in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas