Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM

6,708 posts, read 9,962,759 times

Advertisements

Arts District

Margot and Bill Winspear Opera House (2009)-2,300 seats
Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre (2009)-600 seats
City Performance Hall (U/C)-750 seats

Fair Park

Music Hall at Fair Park (1925)-3,420 seats

Downtown

Majestic Theatre (1921)-1,570 seats (was 2,800 seats)

Dallas Convention Center

Naomi Bruton Theatre (1957)-1,800 seats
Clarence Muse Cafe' Theatre (1957)-216 seats
Convention Center Arena (1957)- 9,816 seats

There's some other ones...........I think?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,982,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
O To be honest this is quite impressive. This makes me wonder even more why Houston isn't known as a city for the arts. Most people don't put Houston and arts in the same sentence.
Its marketing hun. Thats is why Houston posters talk so damn much. The city isn't doing so we have to do it ourselves.

Houston has been a strong business city for ages. That is all the leaders care about.

They don't give a **** about people, especially people that don't have money.

Do you know that the Wortham Center was basically funded by two rich old ladies??? They contributed 64M to build that thing.

I heard someone saying the other day that Houston isn't a world class city cause nothing premieres in Houston. I just shook my head and let it be because I wasn't in the mood to get started.

Art Exhibits from the Louver, London Museum etc often make Houston their first stop.

Musicals, Plays etc often priemiere in Houston.

But again, Houston has bad PR people. If we had promoters like the ones in Austin then that would be something, cause we actually have stuff to stand behind the hype unlike Austin (The sorry excuse for a major city).

Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
O To be honest this is quite impressive. This makes me wonder even more why Houston isn't known as a city for the arts. Most people don't put Houston and arts in the same sentence.
I forgot to add that that is only the theater District. The Museum District is also huge with more than 30 Museums. The Natural Science Museum is one of the top 10 most visited museums in the country, the fine art museum is highly ranked too, and the Children's Museum is the most visited in the country. The Houston zoo is usually ranked in the top ten best zoo's along with the FW zoo, and it is right next to the Museum District.

there are also out of the ordinary museums such as the Funeral History Museum, the buffalo soldiers museum, I think The firefighters museum is coming soon.

the Byzantine Chapel is the repository in the United States for the only intact Byzantine frescoes of this size and importance in the western hemisphere.

Then there are gems like the Rothko Chapel and the Menil Collection.

sooooooo much to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There's a Majestic Theatre in Downtown Dallas. The original capicty was 2,800 now the capacity is 1,570. In Downtown there was a row of theaters called Theater Row. This is the only surviving theater.

Here's pics of the Music Hall at Fair Park

This is a picture from 1925

Here's some picture from the 40s or 50s

This is how it looks today. You can see the expansion in the front of the building.

If you look closely though the glass windows you can the the original arches that use to be the entrance.
Those are pretty pics hun.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I forgot to add that that is only the theater District. The Museum District is also huge with more than 30 Museums. The Natural Science Museum is one of the top 10 most visited museums in the country, the fine art museum is highly ranked too, and the Children's Museum is the most visited in the country. The Houston zoo is usually ranked in the top ten best zoo's along with the FW zoo, and it is right next to the Museum District.

there are also out of the ordinary museums such as the Funeral History Museum, the buffalo soldiers museum, I think The firefighters museum is coming soon.

the Byzantine Chapel is the repository in the United States for the only intact Byzantine frescoes of this size and importance in the western hemisphere.

sooooooo much to do.

All three museums named, plus the zoo, have been going under expansion projects as well (with the Children's Museum just completing their own).

The new Duncan Family Wing at the Museum of Natural Science:

http://blog.hmns.org/?tag=susanna

Children's Museum expansion (doubling the size):

Houston children's museum to double in size | Art | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The Houston Zoo's new African Forest exhibit:

About The African Forest - Houston Zoo

There is not a rendering for the Houston Fine Arts Museum expansion yet, but three architects have been chosen and they will submit their designs sometime this year. Pretty cool stuff going on in the Museum District area. New museums, museum expansions, and now residential development is starting to take off in the area along the light rail line. It's a good location in between Downtown and the TMC/Reliant.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM

wow those are awesome expansions.

the Nat Sci museum is already so successful (being the second most visited non smithsonian museum in the US) who knows what the expansion will bring.

The Fine art Museum is also so huge that I never stay long enough to get it all in.

I don't remember ever going to the Children's museum. I really should take my God Son or my sisters.

I should be going to the Zoo in a week or two. Last time I went was right before the African exhibit opened.

Isn't it crazy that some idiots stay stupidness like Houston has no culture and places like Minneapolis an Denver does??

Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
What's the deal with that African American museum that was suppose to go up by the museum district??

Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

sooooooo much to do.

Thx! Htown!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Here's the new Perot Museum of Nature & Science in Dallas. It is currently under construction in Victory Park.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What's the deal with that African American museum that was suppose to go up by the museum district??
There's a African American Museum at Fair Park in Dallas.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here's the new Perot Museum of Nature & Science in Dallas. It is currently under construction in Victory Park.

I don't like it.
It doesn't look welcoming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas