Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,831,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Want to really see some big differences just from the freeways? Try this zig-zag through the metro:

Take 290 from the Grand Parkway (99) to Beltway 8, then go South to 10, then East to 610, then South to 59, then East to 288, then South to 610 again, then East to 225. Take 225 East to 146, then South all the way to Galveston.

You'll need to pretty much put a whole day aside to do it, but believe me... you'll see many different sides of the metro that vary greatly. And that doesn't even include most of the North side of the metro.
That's crazy! The Northside takes a whole day.

BTW, Conroe is most organic and naturally beautiful suburb Houston has!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,609,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
That's crazy! The Northside takes a whole day.

BTW, Conroe is most organic and naturally beautiful suburb Houston has!
Well, I disagree there (about Conroe being the "most beautiful"), but yes. The North side is massive in and of itself. There are vast swaths of the Northeast suburbs I have never even been to, and I grew up in Houston and did a LOT of exploring during my time there.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I disagree there (about Conroe being the "most beautiful"), but yes. The North side is massive in and of itself. There are vast swaths of the Northeast suburbs I have never even been to, and I grew up in Houston and did a LOT of exploring during my time there.
As far as natural beautiful, it is. It's not planned or anything. I'm looking at the terrain as well.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
As far as natural beautiful, it is. It's not planned or anything. I'm looking at the terrain as well.
It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I've never really been a fan of suburbs, to be honest. I grew up in the Montrose, but if I had to pick a Houston suburb, I guess I'd pick one of the nicer areas near Galveston bay, like Kemah, Taylor Lake, or Seabrook. However, I'd much rather live inside the loop than any of those places.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I've never really been a fan of suburbs, to be honest. I grew up in the Montrose, but if I had to pick a Houston suburb, I guess I'd pick one of the nicer areas near Galveston bay, like Kemah, Taylor Lake, or Seabrook. However, I'd much rather live inside the loop than any of those places.
ITL is SO overrated! It's not diverse to me at all.

Funny thing, I've never been to the many of the Galveston Bay communities, expect for Webster.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
ITL is SO overrated! It's not diverse to me at all.

Funny thing, I've never been to the many of the Galveston Bay communities, expect for Webster.
This is the part where we just agree to disagree, ok? You're talking about my old neighborhood where I grew up, and I happened to love growing up in that particular area. Yes, I know it's very different today than when I was living there in the 70's and early 80's, but I'm very much a city person, NOT a suburb person... so I would still choose to live inside the loop in a heartbeat before I ever even considered living in the burbs.

The suburbs are just fine for those that like that style of living, but I'm just not cut out for it.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 PM

420 posts, read 707,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
congrats on Plano being almost sixty percent white. SOOOO diverse. and outside of white people its largely Asians or Hispanics. are you telling me a few asians and Hispanics mixed in with a bunch of white people is DFWs best example of diversity? oh boy...

Sugar Land is more diverse than Plano for crying out loud..

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html#b

What are you even going on about? Plano having a 55% white population is well below the national average. In case you forgot, this is still a white majority nation by a large margin. And what do you mean by "a few Asians and Hispanics"? The Asians and Hispanics in Plano are both above the national average, particularly Asians. There aren't many places in this country with 17% Asians, especially in Texas. That's huge. The only minority group below the national average in Plano is blacks. That's pretty good diversity for an wealthy exurb. And no, I never claimed that Plano was DFW's "best example of diversity." You're trying to put words in people's mouths. I was countering your ignorance of laughing off Plano as some lily white suburb in your pretend DFW land of segregation. Just because Sugar Land is more diverse than Plano doesn't mean Plano itself is not diverse. It's not one or the other.

Last edited by RayStokes; 11-05-2014 at 12:14 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 12:11 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
While I'm sorry to hear that you lost a sister, I'm still not buying that you really come down here often enough and venture out. If you did, I don't think you would be making the comments you've made on here with a straight face.

You said Houston is a big ol city with the same thing over and over for miles, then you get to an interesting point in the city which are few and far between (your raisin bran analogy ).

Inside the loop Houston is filled with nothing but neighborhoods with differing personalities. I don't see how its growing to become a bigger mess when it's practically getting more and more dense by the day. Now someone from NYC, LA, N/O or Chicago, I can see how they'd say Houston is redundant, but I am quite perplexed how someone from Dallas could even fix their lips to say that when Dallas is no different. If anything, Dallas would be more of the same thing over and over because its filled with sterile neighborhoods, and plus only accounts for 25% of the overall metro.

It simply sounds by your statements, when you come to Houston, you only stay on I-45 until you get to your destination. Maybe you purposely avoid other areas so you won't have to change your position and can keep your delusion that Houston is just this big mess of a city.

I'm just going to take your comments as the ol' Texas rivalry because if someone tries to make sense of some of your posts as serious and factual, they'll be liable to shoot themselves in the head.
Ok guys. .....don't get me wrong ..There's alot of nice stuff in Houston. The raisin bran analogy is the perfect explanation of my point. ...in some areas you might have more raisins but theres always too many flakes in the way.

Houston is growing but it still looks the same.

The soccer stadium is very nice....the reason I said it looks better online and cheap but nice is because online it looks edgy,orange, futuristic and bold. But in person its just orange paint on cement walls. The medal sculpturing cladding on top looks better online....but it is more eye catching than ours.

Sometimes i may exaggerate a little...but its always mostly accurate.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Um, no. Keep telling yourself that though, if it helps you get through the day.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,576,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Ok guys. .....don't get me wrong ..There's alot of nice stuff in Houston. The raisin bran analogy is the perfect explanation of my point. ...in some areas you might have more raisins but theres always too many flakes in the way.

Houston is growing but it still looks the same.

The soccer stadium is very nice....the reason I said it looks better online and cheap but nice is because online it looks edgy,orange, futuristic and bold. But in person its just orange paint on cement walls. The medal sculpturing cladding on top looks better online....but it is more eye catching than ours.

Like Dallas doesn't have just as many "flakes" in the way, percentage wise, as Houston... all our "raisins" aren't congregated in the middle of town like Dallas', leaving the suburbs sterile and boring.

So midtown looks the same as it did in the late 90s/early 2000s/whenever you went to school here?

In person the stadium looked pretty dang edgy to me..? Granted I haven't been inside it, I love all the aluminum exterior. Maybe the inside is all orange concrete?

Lmfao!!! That last part was pure gold boi. I didn't realize you were a comedian.

Quote:
Um, no. Keep telling yourself that though, if it helps you get through the day.
Right?? More like "I almost always over exaggerate things, and it's most always wrong".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas