Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,244,322 times

Advertisements

Do y'all note that our bordering neighbor states to the north and east outrank us in the ratio of catfish joints to McDonalds? This is disturbing to me. ]

Maybe it's because BBQ mixes into the equation in TX and competes with food dollars moreso than in the bordering states? Too bad! Also possibly because TX has had such an influx of 'ferriners' from up north who don't appreciate a good catfish when they see it? And it could be...not a lot of places know how to cook good catfish any more - they really need to be cleaned right and get the black gooky stuff off to have every bite taste good - just one bad bite with that stuff on it can turn somebody off for life.

Interesting study!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,631,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
[i] Also possibly because TX has had such an influx of 'ferriners' from up north who don't appreciate a good catfish when they see it? And it could be...not a lot of places know how to cook good catfish any more - they really need to be cleaned right and get the black gooky stuff off to have every bite taste good - just one bad bite with that stuff on it can turn somebody off for life.

Interesting study!
It was fun to do, for sure, Gayle!

You have a very good point though as concerns the influence of northern transplants and other immigration (illegal or not! LOL). When I broke it down into regions of Texas, the results changed considerably!

For instance, in East Texas, the ratio was almost on par with that of Mississippi. North Texas, parts of West Texas and Central Texas were right up there as well. Hell, any of us who live in these regions know such as a fact of life! LOL

BUT...as Texas is such a large state, the percentage of catfish joints to McDonalds dropped off considerably in South Texas and far West Texas. Thus, the overall findings of Texas as a whole wasn't in the top tier!

On a related tangent, I almost hate to say it, but the BEST catfish joint I know of is located just across the Red River, from Wichita Falls, in Oklahoma. It is called "Bills Catfish"...and oh man, it is well worth visiting....

Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 13 days ago)

52,724 posts, read 48,043,641 times
Default You Can Go To These Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfw View Post
I have to completely agree with you on Catfish O'Harlies, and I'm more than willing to take a drive to go out there. I haven't been to Catfish and Company in awhile but I do remember them being pretty good.
O'Harlies is available in Decatur and Weatherford. They may have a few other locations, but I'd have to look it up. Those are the only two that I know. And Catfish and Company has big filets. They come out piping hot every time I order! They still have the Hurst location if you'd like to go.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

801 posts, read 2,215,147 times
Even though I grew up in Mississippi (and have eaten some fine catfish!), I've been in New Mexico so long, I'm not sure I can remember the taste of the best catfish. However, last year we were visiting my sister-in-law in Houston. We all went to a place called Sudie's Catfish House on Spencer Highway in Pasadena...and it tasted mighty fine to me.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,217,868 times
There is no catfish to be found in Albuquerque? That is a pity. I love NM, but that's a mark against it!

GayleTX: You're right about the "black gooky stuff". A funky serving of catfish can be a deal-breaker.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM

690 posts, read 2,632,102 times
The best catfish I ever ate in a restaurant was at Catfish Place on Hwy. 19 going towards Trinity. Unfortunately, it's closed now, which depresses me. *sigh*

Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,651 times
I agree that David Beards Catfish king has the best catfish. They recently closed the one in my town Waxahachie, Texas and I am going to Tyler Texas this weekend for a National Kidney Foundation meeting and told my 2 sisters I would only eat at Catfish King and one of my sisters does not even like fish. DAVID PLEASE OPEN ANOTHER ONE NEAR WAXAHACHIE !!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 13 days ago)

52,724 posts, read 48,043,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Knight View Post
I agree that David Beards Catfish king has the best catfish. They recently closed the one in my town Waxahachie, Texas and I am going to Tyler Texas this weekend for a National Kidney Foundation meeting and told my 2 sisters I would only eat at Catfish King and one of my sisters does not even like fish. DAVID PLEASE OPEN ANOTHER ONE NEAR WAXAHACHIE !!!!
He closed his store in Waxahachie??! Well, he just can't do that! There is one in South Oak Cliff on Hampton just north of Camp Wisdom if you're interested in driving over there, and, as far as I know, that one is still open.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,152,027 times
No one has mentioned Cook's Catfish out in the country betwen Rising Star and Comanche. They have an all you can eat catfish dinner in an old, funky barn looking building. The catfish is not always consistent, but if you get it when it is freshly laid on the buffet, it is great. Sometimes it sits a little too long and gets cold and tough. But over all, it is very good.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 AM

6,832 posts, read 14,065,005 times
I can't believe no one has mentioned this place. The best Catfish in the DFW is a hole in the wall called Catfish Connection. They in a strip shopping center on the corner of Kiest and Hampton. You have to call your order in first because there is typically a 30 minute to 1 hr wait period. The only sides the serve are fries but the fish is outstanding. Be farewarned that it is pretty spicy so if that's not your thing you should pass. Also don't let a 4 pc order scare you, you willl actually get around 8 pcs. They also don't have a place to sit down and eat. It is carry out only and there is always a line. The fish is truly outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas