Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Catfish?
Fried 26 70.27%
Baked 4 10.81%
Steamed 3 8.11%
Served with hushpuppies 16 43.24%
Served with coleslaw 12 32.43%
Served with Texas style beans 10 27.03%
Filleted (thin) 10 27.03%
Filleted (thick) 9 24.32%
Whole 6 16.22%
Seaoned with lemon 11 29.73%
Lake/River caught 11 29.73%
Grain fed bought 4 10.81%
Never heard of catfish (*grumbles* yankee...) 1 2.70%
Just don't like catfish 5 13.51%
Other (please share) 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Texans!

I couldn't sleep tonite, so thought I would start one of those silly polls I am so predisposed to do!

In this case? It is dedicated to a loveable native Texas stalwart, just as real as the longhorn, armadillo, and horned toad. It is the...*drum roll, please*... Catfish!

Yeah, it is ugly, a bottom feeder, and yankees call it a "trash fish" (which is an additional reason to like them, far as I am concerned, by gawd! ). And the bait used to catch it is usually pretty damn smelly stuff. BUT? It is...and has traditionally been ... a wonderful of good traditional Texas cookin'...and the main feature of some of family/friend gatherings. The classic Texas/Southern fish-fry and dinner-on-the-grounds! Mmmmmm...didn't mouths water...? *smiles*

How many native Texans didn't go catfishin' at one time or another..? It is time the "cat" it got its just recognition!

So here is the poll. And keep in mind it IS multiple option. That is, you can choose more than one answer!

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-22-2012 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
I miss the wild-caught catfish of my childhood! Succulent white meat, corn-meal battered and fried to perfection, served with pinto beans and all the trimmings!

I never get catfish at a restaurant--I've never had any that wasn't just nasty--farm-raised channel cat at that. Just GROSS.

If I do occasionally get catfish at the grocery store (and farm-raised channel cat is all you can get), it is grilled/baked with plenty of seasoning--butter, lemon/lime, black/red pepper, etc. to disguise what it is!

You're not the only one who couldn't sleep--I woke up at 3am and finally just had to get up!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
fried catfish was a staple like bread or milk

Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,653 times
Have you priced catfish in the stores lately??!!!! It is higher than salmon!!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Randy ... shame on you for no grilled selection (the healthy choice???). I prefer classic fried wild fish.

Also, opelousa are predator fish ... eyes on top of the head built to attack from below and any decent trotliner know perch (bream, sunfish) are the best baits for big ops.

Channel cats are my least favorite ... just don't like that yellow/fatty strip of flesh!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Randy ... shame on you for no grilled selection (the healthy choice???). I prefer classic fried wild fish.

Also, opelousa are predator fish ... eyes on top of the head built to attack from below and any decent trotliner know perch (bream, sunfish) are the best baits for big ops.

Channel cats are my least favorite ... just don't like that yellow/fatty strip of flesh!
You got it.

We never ate channel cat we caught at the river, not even if we didn't catch what we wanted on our trotlines! Fortunately, that was very rare until much later years.

We called them yellow cat, aka as bullhead, flathead..etc. Tasty eating!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,120 times
When cooking catfish at home anymore, I soak it in milk and then grill it in a foil pouch with some salsa and sauteed onion and bell pepper. Tasty.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
Thin filets fried up crisp with a light crust of cornmeal with lots of tartar sauce or ketchup for me. On the side some pinto beans and cole slaw or maybe french fries. Hushpuppies should have some jalapeno and onion in the batter. Sliced sweet onion and green tomato relish will make it a feast fit for kings.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

LOL Yeah, ol' buddy, I am always going to fergit something healthy in these polls I conjure up!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Always fried, but I'm not known for eating healthy. I love catfish, but that depends on where it comes from. We used to camp out on the banks of the Brazos River and run trotlines. Due to it's good sandy bottom and river flow, the catfish were always delicious.

Caught some blues out of Eagle Mountain Lake that you wouldn't believe how good they were. LOL Call it a trash fish or not, no better eating than that.

I'll buy the fresh, farm raised catfish filets at the store now because we just haven't been fishing in a long time, but I'm with Cathy on the fact the wild caught catfish are the best. When I buy them in the stores I opt for the smallest filets I can find to avoid that fat! As far as some of that frozen junk, say Delta Pride or whatever they call it (comes out of the Mississippi Delta), you'd have to hold a gun to my head to make me eat it. I did eat it once (or rather I should say, tried it once) and once was enough for me. Horrible. I think that's what a lot of cafes serve up too. Yuck! No one eats a mud cat (so no one to ask), but I suspect that Delta crap is just a bigger version of our little mudcats.

Ok Randy/Cathy, wonder just what the heck was going on last night?! I woke up a little before 3:00 this morning and for the life of me could not getback to sleep, so finally got up at 3:30. (Enter the Jaws soundtrack about now) Too werid. I know it's sure made for a long day for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Have you priced catfish in the stores lately??!!!! It is higher than salmon!!
We got a break on catfish this year here in the Fort Worth area, but yep, I know what you're saying. Last year, farm raised catfish filets in the grocery stores was selling for $7.99 a lb. Unbelievable, huh?

They been running them this summer on sale for around $2.49 to $2.99 a lb. and a while back had them for $1.99 lb. if you bought a 15 lb. box. LOL They've probably been frozen since last year when no one would buy them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas