Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Catfish?
Fried 26 70.27%
Baked 4 10.81%
Steamed 3 8.11%
Served with hushpuppies 16 43.24%
Served with coleslaw 12 32.43%
Served with Texas style beans 10 27.03%
Filleted (thin) 10 27.03%
Filleted (thick) 9 24.32%
Whole 6 16.22%
Seaoned with lemon 11 29.73%
Lake/River caught 11 29.73%
Grain fed bought 4 10.81%
Never heard of catfish (*grumbles* yankee...) 1 2.70%
Just don't like catfish 5 13.51%
Other (please share) 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Reb, for the great poll!

I love me some Texas catfish, even though it has few redeeming qualities, other than it's...well, tasty and from Texas!

I prefer mine thin, fried to a lovely golden hue, topped with a spray of lemon juice, and served with fries and coleslaw, and a side of tartar sauce.

Catfish King buffet - YEAH, BABY!

If I did this to myself often, I would be as big as a barn, so I try to keep this decadence to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,638,205 times
Quote:
I love me some Texas catfish, even though it has few redeeming qualities, other than it's...well, tasty and from Texas!
Well, one thing I can think of is that many yankees disdain it. That is a good reason in its own right to like 'em! But seriously...

Quote:
I prefer mine thin, fried to a lovely golden hue, topped with a spray of lemon juice, and served with fries and coleslaw, and a side of tartar sauce.
Mmmmmmm. That describes it perfectly, except I never really cared much for the fries. Coleslaw is a must though...vinegar based, (as another poster mentioned). I might add I always like some pickles and slices of onion on the side as well!

Quote:
I have heard a lot about Catfish King...but far as I know, there isn't one around here. But if that is the way they prepare catfish (as you describe above), then it might be worth checking out. I don't know where you live, but if you are ever in the Wichita Falls area and want some excellent ol' fashioned Southern fried cat, slip across the Red River border and visit Bill's Catfish. The place is unpretentious, plain, down home, and catfish is the speciality.

Here are a couple of links:

Bill's Fish House Est. 1962

Touring Texoma: Bill's Catfish

But back to Catfish King, I did a quick search and found they were originally stared in Texas, and have spread to franchises in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Tennesee, Mississippi and Alabama was well (and probably some more state). They sorta sound like the "Whataburger" of catfish. What can you tell about them...? *curious*

Quote:
If I did this to myself often, I would be as big as a barn, so I try to keep this decadence to a minimum.
LOL You oughta know that too much moderation and healthy eating habits are just not compatible with good ol' Texas/Southern eating. We all gotta go sometime, and if heart-attack induced food is going to kill me, I would much prefer it being collapsing over a plate of fried catfish or chicken fried steak, than choking to death on endive salad, quiche, or sterilized spinach...!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,905,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Cathy, this one got me curious so I did some looking, and found this article. Yeah, it appears that soy pellet is a main feature of what is fed farm-raised cat, but so are several other items, like corn and wheat.

On a related note, according to this article, Texas is not one of the "top four" catfish farming states (although it is growing), but it IS a leading consumer, both per-capita and sheer volume.

Hooked on Catfish
I have also heard that the catfish are raised under filthy conditions, but the article doesn't say that.

There is an imported Vietnamese fish called basa that I get whenever I can find it. It's far better than commercial domestic cat. It costs about the same, but is a vastly superior-tasting cat! I used to get it at HEB. It was so popular that they limited the number they'd give individually, so I'd go back later that same day, LOL!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,638,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I have also heard that the catfish are raised under filthy conditions, but the article doesn't say that.
I'd have to take issue with you on this one, Texas sis. Everything I have ever' read or seen, indicates the conditions on modern-day commercial catfish farms are just about as "sanitary" and clean as is possible. Of course, like anything else --such as meat packing plants -- I am sure there are abuses and "short-cuts" and all.

But again, the general rule seems to be the highest standards. I have visited a few in my time, and never saw anything remotely that reeked of "filthy conditions". Of course, that is just my own experience...

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,905,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I'd have to take issue with you on this one, Texas sis. Everything I have ever' read or seen, indicates the conditions on modern-day commercial catfish farms are just about as "sanitary" and clean as is possible. Of course, like anything else --such as meat packing plants -- I am sure there are abuses and "short-cuts" and all.

But again, the general rule seems to be the highest standards. I have visited a few in my time, and never saw anything remotely that reeked of "filthy conditions". Of course, that is just my own experience...
Thank goodness....that makes me feel better.....

Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,529,715 times
I don't like catfish. Don't hate! I'm just not a fan of freshwater fish at all. But I AM a Texan and do love shrimp and red snapper from the Gulf!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,785,497 times
Well, to tell the truth, crappie is my favorite of fresh water fish. I also love the gulf shrimp and red snapper. Very good eating.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,529,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Well, to tell the truth, crappie is my favorite of fresh water fish. I also love the gulf shrimp and red snapper. Very good eating.
Crappie was the only freshwater fish my folks could ever get me to eat. Haven't had it in years.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Crappie was the only freshwater fish my folks could ever get me to eat. Haven't had it in years.
My late in-laws lived on the lake and would catch tons of crappie. So when my wife and i were newlyweds without a lot of money, they'd bring us bags of frozen crappie and we'd eat it 2 or 3 times a week. For a couple of years.

I used to love it but if I never eat another crappie again I'm just fine with that.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,370,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks, Reb, for the great poll!

No RBR on the side, Kathryn? I know I can't be the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas