Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a 28 year old gay male from Connecticut and planning a major relocation next month. I quit my job here and I'm just going to choose a city that I may like and move to it and start a new life. Too many people have suggested Texas for me, but when they say that, I think....seriously...Texas?

I have never been there, to any of the large metro areas. I do like how the cost of living is low, and that the job market is relatively strong, so with a master's in accounting and 5 yrs of experience, I can probably secure employment and eventually buy a small home.

But is Texas like they portray it to be on TV and movies? Southern accents, country music, rodeos, and all that stuff that I don't like or care for? I am not like that at all. I am a gay atheist who is moderate with politics. Would I fit into any of those metros? Dallas seems a bit too large for my tastes. Austin seems to be better. I prefer slow paced living.

I am a hardcore Northeastern yankee. What do you guys think?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
use some common sense in your decision. I bet you are living in a city now and will be when you move to wherever you are moving to.

Cities are more liberal every where and the rural areas are more conservative. You really cannot use common sense and come to the result that the big cities are not liberal bastions in any state. they will not be as liberal as the big cities in the NE but common, no one in their right mind would believe the nonsense that TV portrays Texan cities to be.

Dallas, Houston and Austin together probably have lose to 1.5M people who admit to being gay in the american community survey.

Go visit first and make your own decision.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hi. I'm a 28 year old gay male from Connecticut and planning a major relocation next month. I quit my job here and I'm just going to choose a city that I may like and move to it and start a new life. Too many people have suggested Texas for me, but when they say that, I think....seriously...Texas?

I have never been there, to any of the large metro areas. I do like how the cost of living is low, and that the job market is relatively strong, so with a master's in accounting and 5 yrs of experience, I can probably secure employment and eventually buy a small home.

But is Texas like they portray it to be on TV and movies? Southern accents, country music, rodeos, and all that stuff that I don't like or care for? I am not like that at all. I am a gay atheist who is moderate with politics. Would I fit into any of those metros? Dallas seems a bit too large for my tastes. Austin seems to be better. I prefer slow paced living.

I am a hardcore Northeastern yankee. What do you guys think?
Hardcore Northeastern yankee? Gay male from Connecticut? You'll propably fit right in if you move to Austin.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Its pretty predictable. Your cities are going to be the most liberal and gay friendly. Austin, Dallas, Houston, and (maybe-Im not familiar enough to comment) San Antonio are very tolerent of their gay communities. Once you get into the rural communities, it becomes less so. The mid-sized cities themselves are hit or miss.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
The gay part? Not really a problem. The atheist part? Not really a problem. The moderate in politics part? Not really a problem - people will care whether or not you're a good neighbor and won't know or care about your politics as long as you're not obnoxious about it either way. The "I hate everything stereotypically Texan" part may give you some issues if you come down here and complain about how we're not like Connecticut and why aren't we jumping to change everything to be just like it is where you came from. That can be a BIG problem pretty much anywhere you go, not just Texas, because it's obnoxious behavior anywhere.

Oh, and stereotypes about Texas are just that - stereotypes. You know, those things that the terminally prejudiced believe represent an entire state of some 268,820 square miles containing 25,145,561 residents.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
You would be fine in any big city such as Dallas, Houston or Austin. I would stay away from small towns and most suburbs even.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
I agree, stay city-proper in either Dallas, Austin, or Houston.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Everyone always leaves San Antonio out. Its hilarious that people think that Austin, Houston, and Dallas are more gay friendly/Liberal.

To the OP San Antonio and Austin are more alike on the terrain and weather side than the other two metros. Houston is more humid and Dallas is often colder in the winter and warmer in the summer than the other three metros.

Dallas and Houston have actual gayborhoods while Austin and San Antonio's LGBT population seems to be more spread out. I would highly recommend coming down to each city before you move here.

None of the Texas metros fit the stereotype except you are able to see subdivisions next to ranch land in all four. Dallas and Houston have more amenities and eating choices and are about 2.5-3 times bigger than San Antonio and Austin. (in both population and size)

Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM

53 posts, read 74,314 times
Are you ready to be called a "Texan", and have your northern friends pity you for being "oppressed"?

Depending on where you live and work, you may never be around native Texans. I work at an office full of non-Texans and live in a neighborhood full of immigrants, so "Texans" are mostly people I see on Hollywood films. I recently watched "Cowgirls & Angels" to understand this exotic cowboy culture that I otherwise never encounter in daily life.

You may change with time too. I was once a devout atheist, but decided life is more fulfilling with religion.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Are you suggesting that the suburbs of Austin are not gay friendly? That would be a shame. I guess Texas still has a LONG way to go to achieve full tolerance of LGBT people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas