Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are going to be leaving Georgia within 1-2 years and are looking west to Texas. My wife and I are looking to start a family soon and Georgia is just going down the tubes in a hurry. Schools are getting worse every day and the real Southerners are disappearing. We're wanting a nice conservative christian town anywhere in Texas and I'd love to here what y'all recommend. I've never heard a bad thing about Texas and I'm tired of Northern transplants. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Well, it's gonna be a little hard to escape the Northern OR Western transplants because they are leaving those areas in droves. But I guess if you stay away from the City Centers then you'll find more Southerners I imagine. I live about 30 miles North East of Austin in Hutto. Any of the towns around here would fit your description. Round Rock, Taylor, Hutto, Georgetown, Bastrop, Lexington, McDade, Smithville. A lot of the towns in East Texas such as Tyler, Mineola, Palestine, etc....might fit. But, in defense of many of the transplants...here, anyway, they've been great neighbors. My direct next door neighbor is from Michigan but you wouldn't know it if he didn't tell you. He doesn't even have a northern accent, oddly enough . The people further up the street are from Kansas (but that's more midwestern), and the ones next to my next door neighbor are actually Texans who moved to California and then moved back to Texas.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:05 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
I guess I'm responding mainly because over time many on here have described Tyler anywhere from Conservative to too Consevative, even though I think it's big enough for most people to ft in. But it does have a church on almost "every corner" as the saying goes. One of the largest Southern Baptist Churches in the country. Tyler votes conservative most all the time, if not every time. Now, you might want to consider the private schools here, 4 with grades 1 thru 12.

You pretty much need job before you come here, growth has really slowed down in the last 6 months. Most jobs are professional most of all jobs are in the medical field. Tyler is Northeast Texas which looks pretty much like most of the South. Spring is really beautiful here. In center town near the Azalea District is where I live and coming up shortly in Mid to late March are the dogwood and Azaleas Driving Trails and many other flowers bloom such as multi-colored wishteria. tulips and many others followed by the rose in mid-may, where the largest municipal rose garden inthe country is in full bloom. Blooming until late October but best viewed in May and June then October.

Tyler with around 100,000 population in the city an another 100,000 in county is the medical, shopping, financial center of this part of the state. Has a nice zoo. Brookshire wildlife musem, Discovery Science Musem for kids and the University of Texas At Tyler Cowen Center for major performances that usually pass thru Dallas first. DFW for the large city "fix" is just 1 1/2 hour away by Interstate.

But Tyler is conservative, with much more to offer that many areas it's size. Oh not to forget the lowest city property tax rate of nay city in Texas over 15,000 population. There are many nice new apartments are a large selection of homes in town and just outside in the county. If you need anything else, I'll try to help. Good luck on wherever to chose. Mark

Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Tyler or anywhere in East Texas!

Its about the closest you will get to any place in Georgia geographically with all the tall pine trees & rolling terrain, humidity included.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
Gatesville, Hamilton, San Saba, Goldwaithe, Lampasas-all great conservative towns, strong family values, big on ranching/4H/FFA, cowboy church (which i LOVE-get to bring my dog to church if i want! and horses!..well, the horses stay in the roping arena for ropin' after church).
all these towns are on the outskirts of the Hill Country, so close in proximity, but far enough where the cost of living is MUCH LOWER.
Welcome to Texas!
I spent 3 years in Georgia. Sorry, but there was very little Southern hospitality there, but then again, I was in a military town/city, so lots of transients. The only things I miss are the good seafood, scuppernongs, boiled peanuts, St Simons Island, Tybee Island.
p.s. you didnt mention what kind of work you will be looking for. i will let you know that Ft Hood area (which Gatesville borders), is somewhat immune to the recession, because it's the largest military installation in the US. lots of jobs on post and off. contracting work. and the building never stops-more and more buildings, stores, houses, subdivisions etc are going up every month here.

Last edited by NOTAM; 02-15-2009 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Try Vidor. That might be conservative enough.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times
If i could, I'd probably move to San Saba/Goldwaithe, Comanche area. I just love those small towns.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
you and I have the same taste..good taste, that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
If i could, I'd probably move to San Saba/Goldwaithe, Comanche area. I just love those small towns.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Fort Worth and Tarrant County are quite conservative. We are the only urban county in Texas that did not go Democrat in the last presidential election.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Fort Worth and Tarrant County are quite conservative. We are the only urban county in Texas that did not go Democrat in the last presidential election.
Don't expect that to last. The county is treading Democratic. It's just a matter of time. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama won the city of Fort Worth but lost Tarrant County. Similar to what Dallas and Houston experienced in 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas