Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM

53 posts, read 74,391 times

Advertisements

Must have changed since I lived there in the 90s.

It seems to be the nature of this country that two people can live in the same town and walk away with completely opposite impressions, based on which people they spent time with, what part of town they lived in, etc. I've had people on the Austin forum insist that there are plenty of native Texans who live here, though they seem as elusive as Anasazi Indians in my world.

Last edited by dorpus; 11-19-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorpus View Post
Must have changed since I lived there in the 90s.
Rural New England is usually live and let live mentality. People judge you on what you contribute to the community and if you work hard.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,017,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hi. I'm a 28 year old gay male from Connecticut and planning a major relocation next month. I quit my job here and I'm just going to choose a city that I may like and move to it and start a new life. Too many people have suggested Texas for me, but when they say that, I think....seriously...Texas?

I have never been there, to any of the large metro areas. I do like how the cost of living is low, and that the job market is relatively strong, so with a master's in accounting and 5 yrs of experience, I can probably secure employment and eventually buy a small home.

But is Texas like they portray it to be on TV and movies? Southern accents, country music, rodeos, and all that stuff that I don't like or care for? I am not like that at all. I am a gay atheist who is moderate with politics. Would I fit into any of those metros? Dallas seems a bit too large for my tastes. Austin seems to be better. I prefer slow paced living.

I am a hardcore Northeastern yankee. What do you guys think?
Austin all the way.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,958,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I don't think you'd be all that happy with most of Texas. Most people who have lived here awhile have picked up the vibe to some degree, the heat, bbq, pickup trucks and SUV's, Texmex, NASCAR. IF you are a real dedicated Yankee, I doubt you'd like it. I've moved some, and there were places I've lived and liked and enjoyed the changes/differences, and there have been some I really didn't like. Texas is also very Republican, conservative, and openly religious. We like our gun laws and the death penalty.

Texas is a big change from anything in the Northeast. My SIL from Wisconsin will not even visit. She was here once, but says "never again." Seems a gunrack in the back window of a pickup truck was too much for her.
I agree. If you are really a "hardcore Yankee" you will not like it here. Judging from your post, there is a good chance you will have your nose up at everyone hear, they will notice this and you will have problems making friends. Your concerns about being a gay, moderate atheist wouldn't give you problems. Having a superiority complex about being from the northeast would, however. Keep in mind that the negative way you think about Texas is not that different than the way a lot of Texans think about the northeast (it's looked down upon).

As for the Texas stereotypes: like all stereotypes, they exist because the enough people exhibited them for a stereotype to be created. Not every Texan is a conservative, fundamentalist country bumpkin in the same way that not all northeasterners are liberal, godless jerks. But there are undoubtedly more people who fit the Texas stereotype than there would be in CT.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,974,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I agree. If you are really a "hardcore Yankee" you will not like it here. Judging from your post, there is a good chance you will have your nose up at everyone hear, they will notice this and you will have problems making friends. Your concerns about being a gay, moderate atheist wouldn't give you problems. Having a superiority complex about being from the northeast would, however. Keep in mind that the negative way you think about Texas is not that different than the way a lot of Texans think about the northeast (it's looked down upon).

As for the Texas stereotypes: like all stereotypes, they exist because the enough people exhibited them for a stereotype to be created. Not every Texan is a conservative, fundamentalist country bumpkin in the same way that not all northeasterners are liberal, godless jerks. But there are undoubtedly more people who fit the Texas stereotype than there would be in CT.
I don't know....I still have a feeling that I might like it, regardless of what people have said in this thread. How much % of people in the Austin metro area have a southern/Texas accent?

Maybe "hardcore yankee" wasn't the appropriate term to use to describe myself. I'm actually a moderately slow paced person and not that sophisticated in general. I don't like to show off material items or wear expensive clothes, etc. But I am generally a quiet, reserved person. I rarely talk with my neighbors, if ever. I worked with a guy who was from east TX up here and he told me that I would like Austin.

Also, I'm truly a moderate political person. In 2008, I voted for McCain. But in 2012 I voted for Obama.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,357,029 times
Quote:
I don't know....I still have a feeling that I might like it, regardless of what people have said in this thread. How much % of people in the Austin metro area have a southern/Texas accent?

Maybe "hardcore yankee" wasn't the appropriate term to use to describe myself. I'm actually a moderately slow paced person and not that sophisticated in general. I don't like to show off material items or wear expensive clothes, etc. I worked with a guy who was from east TX up here and he told me that I would like Austin.

Also, I'm truly a moderate political person. In 2008, I voted for McCain. But in 2012 I voted for Obama.
This is kind of hard to come buy in most of the metro's. Dallas and Houston are growing by well over 100K each year while San Antonio and Austin are growing by 50+K each year. Most of urban Texas is a mix of people from all over the states and the world. I'd say less than 40% of people will have a accent. You might here words/phrases like y'all or fixen to. (even non native Texan's pick on these words)

Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,958,741 times
Quote:

Maybe "hardcore yankee" wasn't the appropriate term to use to describe myself. I'm actually a moderately slow paced person and not that sophisticated in general. I don't like to show off material items or wear expensive clothes, etc. But I am generally a quiet, reserved person. I rarely talk with my neighbors, if ever. I worked with a guy who was from east TX up here and he told me that I would like Austin.

Very few Austinites will have a strong Texas accent. There are a ton of transplants in Austin, particularly from CA.

Moderate is fine here. As others have stated, there are plenty of liberals in the cities. Like nearly everywhere else in the country, the plurality of Texans are probably moderate politically or simply apathetic.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,974,195 times
Ok thanks. Now, it seems that Austin is a haven for punk, alternative or goth type of people. However, I am not like that. I am just a regular, traditional style person who dressed regular and wears business casual attire to work every day. I don't have tattoos, piercings, nor do I smoke or anything like that. I'm just a conservative styled person I guess. I'm an intellectual business-minded kind of person. So, what I'm asking is...is Austin overrun with those types of people? Nothing against them...I just don't wanna stick out. You know, kind of like overrun with hippies everywhere you look? How much % of the people there are like that? And is it only in the city proper or the entire metro?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,357,029 times
Quote:
Ok thanks. Now, it seems that Austin is a haven for punk, alternative or goth type of people. However, I am not like that. I am just a regular, traditional style person who dressed regular and wears business casual attire to work every day. I don't have tattoos, piercings, nor do I smoke or anything like that. I'm just a conservative styled person I guess. I'm an intellectual business-minded kind of person. So, what I'm asking is...is Austin overrun with those types of people? Nothing against them...I just don't wanna stick out. You know, kind of like overrun with hippies everywhere you look? How much % of the people there are like that? And is it only in the city proper or the entire metro?
Austin has 1.7 million people!

I'm sure you can find some crowed you like.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,175,634 times
I understand why people have these stereotypes about Texas -- I had them myself before moving here -- but it's still frustrating every time someone comes on here and acts like everyone in the state is either a cowboy or Klan member.

In terms of the major cities and day-to-day living, you're probably not going to run into many problems. Dallas, Houston, Austin, and I'm assuming San Antonio (I haven't spent much time there beyond the touristy stuff) are cosmopolitan cities with residents from all over. You're probably as likely to encounter a Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, European, or New York accent as a Southern one. And these cities are all light blue politically so, while they're not San Francisco which voted 83% for Obama, they're not Utah either where Romney got 73% of the vote. They're definitely somewhere in the middle.

Long-term though, if you're a gay person who ever wants to put a ring on it, then Texas may not be the best place to be as I'm guessing it will be a long time before either civil unions or marriages will be recognized here. Same with marijuana (medical or recreational), gambling (you have to go to Oklahoma or Louisiana to gamble), or buy hard liquor in a liquor store on Sunday. These types of restrictions grate on some who move here from the East or West Coasts.

But you really should come and visit for awhile and see if you like it. Maybe stay in Uptown Dallas or central Austin, walk around, talk to people, rent a car and drive around, and get a feel for the place. After all, it sounds like you've got some time on your hands as you mull your life change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas