Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,602,374 times

Advertisements

To paraphrase another poster, I always get a kick out of people asking "Is Texas too Texas for me?" I guess growing up in a place that so many seem to be derisive of, I've learned to be open-minded about new places and cultures.

All you can do is come down and experience this cosmopolitan, yet distinct culture for yourself. Based on wanting to stay out of larger cities, you probably want to zero in on Austin and maybe San Antonio or Fort Worth.

As a gay moderate myself, I can assure you that you'd have no problem in any of the major four metros, even the suburbs. Dallas proper and the Austin metro (which includes the suburbs) have among the larger gay populations proportionally speaking in the nation. Houston has a lesbian mayor. San Antonio has the highest percentage of lesbian families in the nation. Being LGBT has basically no bearing in everyday social interactions in my experience, even in my West Texas hometown, though I do run with a younger crowd and tend to fly by even sensitive gaydars. Yes, you may run into a fair amount of ignorance and religiosity in some of the suburbs and smaller towns, but given that people generally have a "live and let live attitude" here, ignorance doesn't translate to lack of respect.

Southern accents, country music, rodeos, etc. are part of the culture here, but in the larger cities, you don't really run into it unless you seek it out. That said, how are you so sure that you don't care for it? It's rather ignorant and insensitive really to write off an entire culture like that without experiencing it. I'm not saying you have to enjoy those aspects of our culture, but you really do need to be more open-minded about these kinds of things, no matter which area of the nation you're considering.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,014,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
To paraphrase another poster, I always get a kick out of people asking "Is Texas too Texas for me?" I guess growing up in a place that so many seem to be derisive of, I've learned to be open-minded about new places and cultures.

All you can do is come down and experience this cosmopolitan, yet distinct culture for yourself. Based on wanting to stay out of larger cities, you probably want to zero in on Austin and maybe San Antonio or Fort Worth.

As a gay moderate myself, I can assure you that you'd have no problem in any of the major four metros, even the suburbs. Dallas proper and the Austin metro (which includes the suburbs) have among the larger gay populations proportionally speaking in the nation. Houston has a lesbian mayor. San Antonio has the highest percentage of lesbian families in the nation. Being LGBT has basically no bearing in everyday social interactions in my experience, even in my West Texas hometown, though I do run with a younger crowd and tend to fly by even sensitive gaydars. Yes, you may run into a fair amount of ignorance and religiosity in some of the suburbs and smaller towns, but given that people generally have a "live and let live attitude" here, ignorance doesn't translate to lack of respect.

Southern accents, country music, rodeos, etc. are part of the culture here, but in the larger cities, you don't really run into it unless you seek it out. That said, how are you so sure that you don't care for it? It's rather ignorant and insensitive really to write off an entire culture like that without experiencing it. I'm not saying you have to enjoy those aspects of our culture, but you really do need to be more open-minded about these kinds of things, no matter which area of the nation you're considering.
Yeah I know. I mean I'm not into country music, but I guess if I'm with the right people, I could just let loose and enjoy the moment. But I probably won't be seeking it out lol. I know that the rest of the country is quite different from New England.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,879,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
Not sure if someone has mentioned this, but Houston has a lesbian mayor. In fact, Houston was the fist large American city to elect a homosexual mayor.
Thanks for adding to my North Texas centric list.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,297,148 times
Texans laugh at the stereotypes portrayed in the movies. Especially when you have some A-list actor try to fake a 'Texas' accent and instead they talk like somebody from Kentucky. Then we may get a movie that shows a tumbleweed rolling through Houston or mountains behind the Dallas skyline. I'm serious they try to do stupid stuff like this in the movies.

The reality is you can certainly find Southern accents, country music, and rodeos, but you can also find people from every part of the globe and every type of music you can imagine. For the most part, nobody cares about your race, religion, or orientation here. Especially in the cities. So come on down!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM

53 posts, read 74,556 times
Other than geography and its corollaries, you might be underwhelmed by Texas. It's still the same country.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,965,192 times
I don't think you'd be all that happy with most of Texas. Most people who have lived here awhile have picked up the vibe to some degree, the heat, bbq, pickup trucks and SUV's, Texmex, NASCAR. IF you are a real dedicated Yankee, I doubt you'd like it. I've moved some, and there were places I've lived and liked and enjoyed the changes/differences, and there have been some I really didn't like. Texas is also very Republican, conservative, and openly religious. We like our gun laws and the death penalty.

Texas is a big change from anything in the Northeast. My SIL from Wisconsin will not even visit. She was here once, but says "never again." Seems a gunrack in the back window of a pickup truck was too much for her.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM

53 posts, read 74,556 times
Could say the same of rural New England, though. Everybody hunts or fishes, it's not friendly to gays, and it is considered impolite to say hello to strangers.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,782,054 times
The stereotypes are here, but there are also many surprises. First, Texas is one of four majority minority states. TX is close to 40% Hispanic. It is a whole lot less Caucasian than the midwest. Even Austin, the whitest big city in Texas is majority non-white. There is a weird frontier cosmopolitanism here. The fishing fleet on the gulf coast is majority Vietnamese, but the best Asian food is BBQ: Chinese and Korean. The big cities are extremely gay friendly, but with a Texas twist. The first time I walked into the much missed Rainbow Cattle Company in downtown Austin, I thought I was in any ole Texas honky-tonk, until I noticed that the men were two stepping with the men and the women with the women. My favorite strip mall in the world is in southwest Houston where there is a halal butchery next to a Mexican trannie bar next to a gun shop. Yes, the stereotypes are here, but unexpected people inhabit them in often delightful ways.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM

26,482 posts, read 46,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I don't think you'd be all that happy with most of Texas. Most people who have lived here awhile have picked up the vibe to some degree, the heat, bbq, pickup trucks and SUV's, Texmex, NASCAR. IF you are a real dedicated Yankee, I doubt you'd like it. I've moved some, and there were places I've lived and liked and enjoyed the changes/differences, and there have been some I really didn't like. Texas is also very Republican, conservative, and openly religious. We like our gun laws and the death penalty.

Texas is a big change from anything in the Northeast. My SIL from Wisconsin will not even visit. She was here once, but says "never again." Seems a gunrack in the back window of a pickup truck was too much for her.
The closest I usually get to Texas is Tulsa, OK to visit a family member, and that is much too far south for me I usually go outside and end up getting a sunburn in 15 minutes. After visiting I'm glad to up north to where the sun is at a more tolerable declination angle Occasionally I will complain a bit about the 4PM winter Sunsets though!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 11-19-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,014,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorpus View Post
Could say the same of rural New England, though. Everybody hunts or fishes, it's not friendly to gays, and it is considered impolite to say hello to strangers.
Rural New England is not unfriendly to gays. Gays are tolerated EVERYWHERE in New England. Rural New England is almost entirely liberal. Rural Texas, on the other hand is almost exclusively conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas