Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,538,801 times

Advertisements

Well, the gay friends that I have IRL (and gay members of C-D who have posted on the topic who live in Austin) don't seem to think that's the case. Remember, stereotypes are exactly that, and there are stereotypes about suburbs just like there are about everywhere else. People really seem to need stereotypes to help themselves to feel somehow superior.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM

53 posts, read 74,596 times
Would it be a stereotype to say that the sun is stronger in Texas than Connecticut?

This has many effects on the local lifestyle, starting with the need to apply sunscreen daily to maintain healthy skin. There are more raised highways in Texas than in the north, since freezing is rarely a concern here.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM

Nope, not at all! That's a provable fact based on geography and weather rather than how human beings perceive each other (about as subjective as you can get).

Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,022,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorpus View Post
Would it be a stereotype to say that the sun is stronger in Texas than Connecticut?

This has many effects on the local lifestyle, starting with the need to apply sunscreen daily to maintain healthy skin. There are more raised highways in Texas than in the north, since freezing is rarely a concern here.
Wait a minute....are you saying that I should use sunscreen every day I go outside down there? That's not fun. Sunscreen causes cancer, because of the chemicals that seep into the skin. And I hate sunscreen.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Then there is a grayer area of how the geography influences behavior. My experience with the South has been that people prefer to stay indoors more often in the summer, compared to Northerners who treat sunshine like a rare opportunity. On the flip side, Southerners seem to think it's strange to wear gloves or hats in the winter. I've had people in the South laugh at me when I wore gloves on an icy day. (In the North, I've had people laugh at me for not wearing gloves on an icy day.) Homes in the South contain ceiling fans, which may look strange and unnerving to Northerners. Southerners wear brighter clothing for the practical purpose of reflecting strong sunshine.

Texas has grackle birds, who sound like a cross between a crow and parakeet. The locals here ignore them, but the birds will seem quite exotic to northerners. They have a piercing shriek and varied vocabulary. There are also armadillos, who are mammals despite their reptilian appearance. Due to the dry climate, fire safety is a bigger part of the culture. Food must be put away immediately in the refrigerator, before bugs (the insect kind or bacterial kind) can get to them.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wait a minute....are you saying that I should use sunscreen every day I go outside down there? That's not fun. Sunscreen causes cancer, because of the chemicals that seep into the skin. And I hate sunscreen.
I've found that not using sunscreen causes my nose to look really nasty. My only exposure to sunshine is during the morning commute, but it's still enough to cause nasty sunburn.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM

308 posts, read 640,528 times
Houston and Dallas have huge gay populations. The suburbs do too. In my Fort Worth suburb, just in my neighborhood, are two families that have kids with two moms. No one has ever said a negative word to them as far as I know.

The stereotypes are just that. Texas, on a whole, is a live and let live state. Quit listening to people that have never been here. Come down for a visit. If you like it, you're more than welcome to stay and join the community. If you don't like it, find somewhere else. Pretty simple really.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,881,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hi. I'm a 28 year old gay male from Connecticut and planning a major relocation next month. I quit my job here and I'm just going to choose a city that I may like and move to it and start a new life. Too many people have suggested Texas for me, but when they say that, I think....seriously...Texas?

I have never been there, to any of the large metro areas. I do like how the cost of living is low, and that the job market is relatively strong, so with a master's in accounting and 5 yrs of experience, I can probably secure employment and eventually buy a small home.

But is Texas like they portray it to be on TV and movies? Southern accents, country music, rodeos, and all that stuff that I don't like or care for? I am not like that at all. I am a gay atheist who is moderate with politics. Would I fit into any of those metros? Dallas seems a bit too large for my tastes. Austin seems to be better. I prefer slow paced living.

I am a hardcore Northeastern yankee. What do you guys think?
Texas like the movies and TV? Yes and No. Some of the characters portrayed as Texans are based on real Texans; others are the result of poetic license.

The Dallas County Sheriff is openly a lesbian. The large urban counties voted Democratic in the last election. Fort Worth has a gay city council member.

Southern accents ~ No. Native Texans may have a trace of a Texas accent, but not a Southern accent.

Country music ~ Yes. You can find country stations all through the state. You can find country/western bands at western clubs across the state. You find it more in rural areas than urban areas though.

Rodeos ~ Yes. If you can find one and pay for it. They can be fun to attend as a tourist, or to take a tourist, or if you know someone competing in a small town rodeo.

We do not all ride horses. We do not all carry guns. We do not all wear cowboy hats and western boots. We do not all make money in oil. We do not all drive pick up trucks. Some do, but not all.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM

350 posts, read 751,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Texas like the movies and TV? Yes and No. Some of the characters portrayed as Texans are based on real Texans; others are the result of poetic license.

The Dallas County Sheriff is openly a lesbian. The large urban counties voted Democratic in the last election. Fort Worth has a gay city council member.
Not sure if someone has mentioned this, but Houston has a lesbian mayor. In fact, Houston was the fist large American city to elect a homosexual mayor.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

Southern accents ~ No. Native Texans may have a trace of a Texas accent, but not a Southern accent.

Country music ~ Yes. You can find country stations all through the state. You can find country/western bands at western clubs across the state. You find it more in rural areas than urban areas though.

Rodeos ~ Yes. If you can find one and pay for it. They can be fun to attend as a tourist, or to take a tourist, or if you know someone competing in a small town rodeo.

We do not all ride horses. We do not all carry guns. We do not all wear cowboy hats and western boots. We do not all make money in oil. We do not all drive pick up trucks. Some do, but not all.
Hmmm. Ride horses, check. (Though they're Morgans, native to Vermont.) Don't carry guns, but own them and know how to handle them. Have boots, but not Western boots, riding boots and mud boots. Do get oil and gas royalties, a pittance from leases set up by my grandfather about 50 years ago. Do drive a pick up truck.

Guess I'm a stereotype! (Somehow I'm reminded of back in the day when I would receive the Frederick's of Hollywood catalog and Ms. Magazine in the mail on the same day each month. Blew the mailman's stereotypes right out the window.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas