Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,198 times

Advertisements

"HOT" weather is not a Texas thing. Watch the weather, almost all over te country in June, July and August. You want HOT, go to Arizona or even Palm Springs CA. You want humid, go to the great lakes, no sea breezes, just hot, humid and still. We were in TX for 2 weeks, 1 week in Corpus and the breezes everyday were welcoming compared to MN where we returned to and everyone is inside because the temps in the 90's and humidity in the 90's with absolutely no breeze at all is unbearable and it will be this way until Labor Day. We had neighbors who moved here from Florida and lasted 2 years and they went back... They said MN was the most hot and humid place ever and the coldest ever in the winter time. Many people move to MN thinking it is ideal 4 seasons weather, only to spend one summer and one winter and they are gone. Back to TX for us for retirement. 35 years is to long in MN. The heat and humidity along with the allergies is oppressive as the weather forcasters have been saying for 2 weeks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 15,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
"HOT" weather is not a Texas thing. Watch the weather, almost all over te country in June, July and August. You want HOT, go to Arizona or even Palm Springs CA. You want humid, go to the great lakes, no sea breezes, just hot, humid and still. We were in TX for 2 weeks, 1 week in Corpus and the breezes everyday were welcoming....
Of course other parts of the country get very hot at times, but there are breaks and the heat does not start in April. Sometimes the heat here starts in March! I wasn't comparing Texas weather to Minnesota, because I'll take Texas over Minnesota weather. However, trust me when I say going to Corpus for a week or two has nothing to do with how the weather gets at times, plus you were right on the beach. Texas weather is variable, even a little in the summer where clouds and rain can keep the temps in the 80's, or a sea-breeze can as well. However, if you get strong high pressure stuck over the state (which happens often in summer), you can see 20+ days over 100 degrees with heat indexes approaching 110-120 or even higher. Trust me when I say there is no "hotter feeling" and more humid place than some parts of Texas, because Florida is surrounded by water on both sides it does not get the extreme temperatures that Texas does, even though Florida can get into the 100's rarely, but not like Texas which has huge heat streaks.

In Texas, you can easily have 20+ days over 100 with medium humidity and heat indexes 110-120 every day. Dallas had like 45 days over 100 once oin a row! I've seen the temperature reach 114 where I lived near Austin before. I saw it 104 in Houston once with around 50% humidity, making the heat index just under 130 degrees. There have been many streaks in certain cities that have hit 100 degrees more than 30 days in a row. It has gotten to 90 degrees in most cities even in February here (excluding northern and western). I have seen a summer that lasted 8 months once, where the 100 degree temperatures started in June.

Yes, Phoenix and parts of Arizona are hotter, but the heat indexes are often about the same as here because there is much more humidity here. I am glad you got good weather while on vacation at Corpus right on the coast, but this is not representative of how Texas feels most of the time during the summer. Especially south Texas like Brownsville, where that far south the heat can easily start in March and last until November, and it can be relentless and never-ending.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM

Here is one example:

Brownsville record high in March is 106 degrees, in January it's 93.
In Corpus in March the record high is 102, in Sept. it is 109.

Obviously it doesn't stay like that all year, but it can get into the 90's anytime of year in most of South Texas. Average high in Corpus is 93 in summer, but that's offset because it rains a lot in the summer and tropical systems mess up the averages. However, thinking South Texas weather is comfortable is insane and when you experience za humid heat for 180 days in a row, let us know how you like it.

I'd rather live almost anywhere BUT South Texas when it comes to weather. Then you have the hurricanes, Texas gets the 2nd most Hurricanes behind Florida, even though we have had a dry spell for many years, eventually our luck will run out (of course part of this is because the Texas coast is so long).

Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
well i got to say one thing about South Texas, as much as i hate living here and cant wait to get back to the "quintessential" Texas that i know......the HUMIDITY here is absolutely NOTHING compared to coastal Georgia. i lived on an island off Savannah and in Ft Stewart and when it was hot, there was ZERO breeze/wind..just swampy skeeter infested air sittin' still. here in South Texas, well, about 45 minutes from the coast here, we have almost constant breeze or strong winds. the humidity here is MUCH more bearable than Georgia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtTexas View Post
Here is one example:

Brownsville record high in March is 106 degrees, in January it's 93.
In Corpus in March the record high is 102, in Sept. it is 109.

Obviously it doesn't stay like that all year, but it can get into the 90's anytime of year in most of South Texas. Average high in Corpus is 93 in summer, but that's offset because it rains a lot in the summer and tropical systems mess up the averages. However, thinking South Texas weather is comfortable is insane and when you experience za humid heat for 180 days in a row, let us know how you like it.

I'd rather live almost anywhere BUT South Texas when it comes to weather. Then you have the hurricanes, Texas gets the 2nd most Hurricanes behind Florida, even though we have had a dry spell for many years, eventually our luck will run out (of course part of this is because the Texas coast is so long).

Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 AM

You might be lucky enough to be in a "windy" area and far enough West to be away from the bad humidity, being 45 miles from the coast. However, the last three summers in Texas have been unusually mild, so if you have been here a short time you have been really lucky.

The late 90's and early 2000's were unbelievably miserable summers almost everywhere across the US, especially in Texas. You may be comparing Georgia in that time frame to Texas in this time frame, but yes Georgia weather sux too.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_catch_tree_bass View Post

On the topic of Texas history, that is likely the key to the pride Texans feel. Our heritage lies in the fact that Texans fought and overcame extremely long odds to achieve our independence. I'm sure some of yall will find this bland, but allow me to mention three battles briefly to provide some insight.

At the Alamo, a couple of hundred Texans hold off a few thousand Mexican soldiers from February 23, 1836 until finally succumbing on March 6, 1836.

At the Goliad Massacre on March 27, 1836, after Fannin and his 350 men had held off approximately 900 Mexican soldiers (the Texans losing about 60, Mexican forces losing about 200), the Texans negotiated terms or surrender after expending their supplies. The following day, Palm Sunday, Santa Anna ordered execution of the prisoners.

These two battles weighed heavily on the minds of Texans when April 21, 1836 rolled around. Around 750 Texans engaged battle with approximately 1500 Mexican soldiers. Fighting lasted less than twenty minutes. Eight Texans died, seventeen were wounded. 630 of the Mexican forces were killed, 208 were wounded, 730 were taken as prisoners.

Those are very brief descriptions of three of the most important points in Texas history, and events like that, as well as the beauty of the state that I've described, the friendliness of the people, and the uniqueness of our cities, is what creates Texas pride.

To answer your question, that is what's so great about Texas.

Texas history is great, and very interesting, but the great leaders and heros of the Battle at the Alamo were not Texans except for a few of them. These men came to Texas when they were adults, so I'm gathering from the reading of many of the posts on the forums that doesn't qualify as being a true Texan. That doesn't matter to me at all, but Texans did not win the war for Texas.

I was not raised in Texas and didn't learn Texas History until I started working with the Texas school system.

Everyone is familiar with the following names:

Davy Crockett was from TN.
James Bowie was born in KY and spent most of his live in LA.
William Travis was born in SC and moved to Alabama when he was 9.
Sam Houston was born in VA and raised in TN and at one time, he was the Govenor of TN.

For the many names with which we're not familiar but were nevertheless heros in the battle, only 6 were Texans and they were all Mexicans. The other heros were from states such as PA, NC, GA, NY, MO, NJ, MD, OH, MS, RI, IL, NH, etc. There were also heros from other countries such as England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Wales, and Denmark.

The Father of Texas, Stephen F. Austin was born in VA, raised in MO, and attended school in KY and CT and also lived in AR before making his way to TX.

In the Battle at Goliad, Colonel James Walker Fannin was born in GA, attended West Point, and moved to Texas when he was 30.

Battle of San Jacinto was lead by Sam Houston, a Virginian raised in TN. Another hero in that battle was John G. Pickering, native Mississippian.

James Austin Sylvestor,captor of Santa Anna, was born in MD and lived in KY and OH.

Captain Robert Coleman, an Indian fighter and soldier at the battle of San Jacinto and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence was born in KY.

Mirabeau Lamar, President of the Texas Republic, was born in GA and lived in AL.

What is important is that they were all united under one flag, The Lone Star. They may have not been Texans, but they surely won independence for this state.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,488 times
I was Born and lived in Texas for years and I hate the State and my Home town, the only reason i have for going back is Family that lives there. Texas is nothing special and niether are the people.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
what? are you serious? i mean, i can see not liking "certain" parts of Texas, but my gawd, Texas has such a variety of areas, to make a broad statement that you hate the State? and saying Texas is nothing special and neither are the people? i beg to differ!! where do you live now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari View Post
I was Born and lived in Texas for years and I hate the State and my Home town, the only reason i have for going back is Family that lives there. Texas is nothing special and niether are the people.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
Quote:

In Texas, you can easily have 20+ days over 100 with medium humidity and heat indexes 110-120 every day. Dallas had like 45 days over 100 once oin a row! I've seen the temperature reach 114 where I lived near Austin before. I saw it 104 in Houston once with around 50% humidity, making the heat index just under 130 degrees. There have been many streaks in certain cities that have hit 100 degrees more than 30 days in a row. It has gotten to 90 degrees in most cities even in February here (excluding northern and western). I have seen a summer that lasted 8 months once, where the 100 degree temperatures started in June.
Yes, it was last year that the temperature was over 100for around 45 days and the record breaker was in 1980. Oh heavens, it was over 100 for 60 plus days and so very miserable. I'm not talking 101, but more like 113.

We're just getting a break this year for some unknown reason as I don't remember it ever being like this. It's still humid and uncomfortable to me though even if the temperatures are lower.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:21 PM

332 posts, read 449,203 times
Quote:
Of course other parts of the country get very hot at times, but there are breaks and the heat does not start in April. Sometimes the heat here starts in March! I wasn't comparing Texas weather to Minnesota, because I'll take Texas over Minnesota weather. However, trust me when I say going to Corpus for a week or two has nothing to do with how the weather gets at times, plus you were right on the beach. Texas weather is variable, even a little in the summer where clouds and rain can keep the temps in the 80's, or a sea-breeze can as well. However, if you get strong high pressure stuck over the state (which happens often in summer), you can see 20+ days over 100 degrees with heat indexes approaching 110-120 or even higher. Trust me when I say there is no "hotter feeling" and more humid place than some parts of Texas, because Florida is surrounded by water on both sides it does not get the extreme temperatures that Texas does, even though Florida can get into the 100's rarely, but not like Texas which has huge heat streaks.

Yes, Phoenix and parts of Arizona are hotter, but the heat indexes are often about the same as here because there is much more humidity here. I am glad you got good weather while on vacation at Corpus right on the coast, but this is not representative of how Texas feels most of the time during the summer. Especially south Texas like Brownsville, where that far south the heat can easily start in March and last until November, and it can be relentless and never-ending.
As bad as that may sound to people, usually a lot of Texans somewhat get use to it, but others don't. I'm one that has pretty much got use to the heat and actually love it more than the cold so woo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas