Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 48,896 times

Advertisements

I was born and for the most part raised in southern utah, my husband was from texas. I lived there for over ten years, I LOVE the place, as far as I'm concerned I"m a texas, three of my grandkids were born in andrews texas, and the other one would have been but she was born two weeks before I made it back home to texas. The people are some of the best around. And I'd go back if my huband didnt love what he had been doing here, and that is be a white water rafting guide at Big Rock Candy Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM

And while I've seen east texas and the beauty of it, I lived in West Texas, flat as pancake, and the smell of oil stong, but I LOVED it there.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:29 PM

http://www.candymountainresort.com/
The guy on the left hand side, top pic is my husband at the back of the boat. But take a look at the pics they are great.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_catch_tree_bass View Post
And, to close, not to get too cranky, but it appears this thread was started by someone who actually just doesn't care for Texas, not by someone trying to learn more about it. I don't have a problem with that, but I don't go to the Oklahoma board and start asking "I've driven through northern OK (or western OK, both flat areas of the state, ironically similar terrain to the Panhandle of Texas, wonder why that is?) , and it's flat, boring, desolate and the weather sucks. What's so great about it?"
Well, if you lived in Oklahoma and constantly heard talk of how great Texas is, when Oklahoma's beauty is constantly overlooked. Than yeah....you'd be kind of upset. I don't hate Texas though, I just think the media overrates it.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,638 times
apparently no one has been to hamilton's pool. if it's so flat then why is there a 135' waterfall(on the perdenales river)? oh, and by the way the climate is very diverse, because it's further from the tip of Texas to the top then it is from the top to canada.thats a long way.take my word for it ... i've driven it. the thing that really appeals to me though, is the fact that Texas is the only state in the union that has the right to secede. the agreement when they became a state was that it would be divided into 7 states by 1865 or they had the right to back out. it still has that right. it also has the resources to go back to being it's own country. and i wanna be there when it does. oh yeah there is one flat part of Texas that comes to mind... the water in lake travis, which is surrounded by hills! see ya'll in the hill country

Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM

363 posts, read 2,020,213 times
Oh my gosh... I love this thread! I am not from Texas... I'm from flat (yet beautiful in it's own right) FL. I have been in TX for about a year on what I'd consider a hill/ tiny mountain.

First of all, Texas has taken a hold of my heart. Right now we're battling the rattlesnakes..and it's irritating me sure- I thought we were in a rustic paradise... But the fact is, I don't think I want to leave here... If work takes us somewhere else... we could loose more (and I'm not talking soley material things) then we ever have.

Those pictures warmed my heart.
The last one with the cactus- before we came here I thought those things were atrocious... now, they say the total opposite to me. They are survivors. They are so strong and persistent... and yet, they in the spring the unveil their soft, beautiful, gentle side. My goodness, you could almost live off of them. I love those gorgeous things. They are a metaphor for me in life. I don't know how a place I have been in for such a short time, could capture me so. I differ from others here in that Idon't think people in general are to different whereever I have been... I think, for me, it's the independent, wide open feeling that let's me breath and see so much sky!!!. It's very romantic. I love the flavor here... Big, rugged, proud, easy going,sometimes flashy... It suits my every mood. The sun shines (much like FL sun and yet there is an occassional snow (outside of Abilene)-It's every "kind of music" that I like... Country, Jazz, Rock, Gospel, Stage...

Thank you both so very much for the history. I read it and will make it my business to learn it and teach it to my family.

I apologize for this being so lengthy -Just a quick story-
We went to Oklahoma a few months ago, doing some footwork for a job offer. We had the unique opprotunity of choosing where we may have relocted to---- We could have lived in either state and still got the position- so we drove back and forth over state lines all day looking alone and with a realtor. Now, I have no first hand knowledge at all- about Oklahoma so I can't tell you why---- But everytime we crossed back into Texas, my husband and I just knew- we were home.

I know, I know I'm being too girly... I'll be a little more factual for you - Texas also looked better... The roads, the state sign, ... I know they probably have more money...but, truly I could see a sense of pride and I was proud to be there. I lived 34 years in FL and have mostly good things to say. I asked my husband, "Darn, do I have to live 34 years plus one day to consider myself a Texan?" My son suggested that when the first one of them (my kids) to doubles their age, maybe then we could claim TX for our own. (smile)... Anyway, thanks to all of you. And I think this country is full of all kinds of beauty... Texas is AWESOME!

Last edited by pioneer8; 09-04-2006 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 02:52 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
PioneerS...that was a great post...Texas is the best. I have been gone for 3 long years and it was painful...i am moving back this month, but to a new adventure in South Texas (am from a small rural town between Ft Worth and Wichita Falls). i wanted Texas but warmer....cant wait to get back. i live and breathe everything Texas. it is the only place i want to hang my hat

Old 09-04-2006, 03:06 PM

You make me feel as though I should never leave... no matter what. You know this thread totally interests me... the initial post asked "What's the big deal?". Someone else used Wisconsin as an example for how Texas really has an overabundance of sort of hoopla connected with it... including songs- I think he was right... and I love it! What's so funny abut that is, I think it is SOOO cool to have a million songs about the place I love to call home! Just yesterday I was listening to George Strait singing 'I can't see Texas from Here" (That should be your anthem.) Hank singin' bout "Texas Women". Lyle singing... "That's right your not from Texas"... "Hello Texas" on the Urban Cowboy soundtrack.... my goodness what a day- cleaning, blasting the music... watching the cattle graze on the hillside.(O.K. well that was a couple of days ago. They must keep them in when it rains?).. huge sky... and MUSIC to fill me with pride and gratefulness that we get to be a part of it all! I love it! Thanks so much and good luck with the move!

Old 09-04-2006, 04:37 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,050 times
Pioneer8, our cows stay out 24/7 rain or no rain! Never gets to cold here by San Antonio, heck don't even have a barn for them just a lean to of sorts!

Old 09-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Oh. I was thinking that maybe they sink in the mud. Teach me about them! Why don't they put them out for such along time and then I see them for a few weeks! I love those things. I wish they wouldn't go away when we approach the fence that separates us! Do they kill rattlesnakes? Just curious. We have a "plague" on our hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas