Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM

150 posts, read 689,133 times

Advertisements

In Houston, the nightlife has to be the best in Texas, i go out alot and have partied in most major cities, besides NYC. I spent a good amount of time in Dallas to know that their nightlife is well below that of Houston's. Houston's nightlife is almost on the same tier as Chicago, Miami, LA. DFW is too much business and no fun, and omg please lets not even bring San Antonio in on this, it can even be mentioned in the same breath as heavyweights LA, Chi, Hou, DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 PM

27,350 posts, read 27,402,913 times
From experience, those southerners have that down-home hospitality and thats a warm feeling. Ive been to Tx, Ok and once to Ala and all 3, Ive never had the 'attitude' or 'we're-better-that-you' attitudes, people there have always been warm and friendly. Granted, there may be those who have moved there from other areas and bring their 'personalities' with them, usually you can tell though, but the true natives make me want to go back. And....maybe thats what brings back many other people too. Its not about who's better. Not out there. Its a good ol' simple life in many of those areas. I love southerners and hope one day to live in one of those states, too.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 25,366 times
I've lived in Texas all of my life; in fact, some of my ancestors arrived here when this big space was a part of the province of Tejas y Coahuila under the flag of Mexico.

I'm in agreement with many of the views expressed regarding our landscapes: taken in their whole, they are not as brilliant or as majestic as might be viewed elsewhere. But I think it all depends on what you're looking for and how you cast your gaze. Beauty is where you find it, as they say.

We do experience gorgeous autumn colors in the northeastern part of the state -- say near Pittsburg (yes, we also have one!), for example. The Hill Country in the central part of Texas is as much perceived as it is observed by the eye. I love our old mission churches in San Antonio. They may not rival those of California, but .... We have many picturesque small towns which may be discovered along the backroads. And, our state has the widest skies! It is rare that one feels closed-in here.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:09 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
There isn't a Texas city on this forum that's been slammed as much as Dallas does. It's reputation on this board is very sad. It gets slammed from all angles from other cities in Texas to it's suburbs.

It does get hot. But Central Texas and North Texas starts off humid in the spring and early EARLY summer. But when Mid July hits, the temps get higher and the air gets drier. I don't ever remember it being 97 degrees with 62% humidity. Texas saw hot temps from the late 90s-2001. But it really hasn't gotten that hot since save 2006. And you haven't had much of summer yet this year anyway so stop complaining. Of course, I know we're only in week 2 in summer.

Now, one thing I will agree with irwin is the urban environment of the Texas cities. You will be disappointed if you're seeing one coming from Europe, the northeast and midwest. Dallas and Houston are trying to get there by building dense residential areas around the city. But the mindset of those two cities are still very much car-oriented. Fortunately, Dallas is building an extensive rail line throughout the city. Hopefully, Houston does the same. They just need to get rid of Culberson to do so and go with light rail. Forget BRT's. I love using trains to go around a city. But I also like my car as well and you can have both. There's only a few cities in the US where you can live w/o a car and they are all in the Northeast with maybe one in the midwest in Chicago.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
In Houston, the nightlife has to be the best in Texas, i go out alot and have partied in most major cities, besides NYC. I spent a good amount of time in Dallas to know that their nightlife is well below that of Houston's. Houston's nightlife is almost on the same tier as Chicago, Miami, LA. DFW is too much business and no fun, and omg please lets not even bring San Antonio in on this, it can even be mentioned in the same breath as heavyweights LA, Chi, Hou, DFW.
So do you have a fake ID? How do your parents feel about you partying in all of the major cities of the US? Sorry honey but it is really hard to believe a 19 year old state such unless your blatantly breaking the law. Besides, when did you have all this time to party if your in school?

Spade, It is not only on the Texas or Dallas forums that the city and our state get bashed so. It is also on just about every other state that someone brings up Texas and our cities and bashes it royally. Sad thing is most have never been here. What I find ironic and kind of humorous is the fact they call us "intolerable", "backwards", etc when it is actually THEM being the ones "intolerable" to a place that just happens to be a bit different than the one where they live. As an adult that has had the chance to travel and loves visiting different places I've never put them down. I look at each place as a new experience. What a boring world we would live in if ALL cities in this country were exactly alike, yuck.

Lyrasong, you are right. There IS beauty to see in this great big state. I've traveled it all and have yet to encounter anything else like it in the world. God created it just like he created the rest of the world. He would never create anything "ugly".

Old 07-05-2007, 08:56 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It does get hot. But Central Texas and North Texas starts off humid in the spring and early EARLY summer. But when Mid July hits, the temps get higher and the air gets drier. I don't ever remember it being 97 degrees with 62% humidity. Texas saw hot temps from the late 90s-2001. But it really hasn't gotten that hot since save 2006. And you haven't had much of summer yet this year anyway so stop complaining. Of course, I know we're only in week 2 in summer.

I, for one, am delighted with this cool and rainy weather. It beats any summer I remember in 28 years. We had some mighty hot days in early May and I have to admit, I thought, "Oh, no, this is a really an early start to the relentless heat." Thank goodness, that was not the case.

True, sometimes the summer months don't reach above 100, but many times they do. Were you here in the summer of 1980? It was worse than last year although I was a lot younger then and seemed to deal better with it or else it has been so long, I just don't remember.

There are really very few summers that "aren't that bad." I just can't agree with that, but this will be one summer I will remember as quite delightful. Even if it does get blistering hot really soon, we had quite a reprieve in June from a normal Texas summer and, of course, July is starting out wonderfully well too. Remember too that summer in Texas (I live in Central TX) doesn't last 3 months, but 5, May through October.

You can check back records about 97 degrees and 62% humidity. I'm sure you'll find that or worse. Our memories don't hold all the details of things like that, at least mine doesn't. To give accurate information, I always check stats available.

P.S. Unfortunately, some people are suffering greatly from the coolness because of the flooding. I am very saddened about that.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
I was only born in 1983 so I'm still young. But I have heard about the summer of 1980. Has there been any summer that's come close to that since? I lived in Texas from 1987-2005 and I know the summer of 98 and 99 was unbelievably hot. Remember August 99. Every last one of it's 31 days was over 100.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
I'm from Oklahoma and I LOVE Texas! Texas has been good to me and although I will probably move back to my home state before I retire, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Texas.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I was only born in 1983 so I'm still young. But I have heard about the summer of 1980. Has there been any summer that's come close to that since? I lived in Texas from 1987-2005 and I know the summer of 98 and 99 was unbelievably hot. Remember August 99. Every last one of it's 31 days was over 100.
Yes, and 2006 was the 2nd worst in recorded history; I believe that's correct without checking stats. I can't remember ever being so uncomfortably hot. As I said in 1980, I was younger, not even 32 years old yet, so maybe it didn't affect me then as adversely. You're younger than my children.

I just went outside to mow. How lovely it is, and then all of a sudden before I barely started pushing the mower, it started raining. The grass can wait; keep up with the cooler weather. Yippee!! I've about given up though for it to dry out; I'll just go back out and finish the job when the rain stops.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Yes, and 2006 was the 2nd worst in recorded history; I believe that's correct without checking stats. I can't remember ever being so uncomfortably hot. As I said in 1980, I was younger, not even 32 years old yet, so maybe it didn't affect me then as adversely. You're younger than my children.

I just went outside to mow. How lovely it is, and then all of a sudden before I barely started pushing the mower, it started raining. The grass can wait; keep up with the cooler weather. Yippee!! I've about given up though for it to dry out; I'll just go back out and finish the job when the rain stops.
I don't remember last year being that bad. In fact I thought we only hit 100 a couple times. 99 however was brutal!! That was the summer i moved here and coming from the coast of San Diego...I thought I had moved to hell!! lol I remember being in the pool and not really feeling all that "cooled off". I'm tired of the rain...but it's nice that it has kept temps down....the humidity is still uncomfortable though. I'd take the heat over that any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas