Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times

Advertisements

Really, it is nice to be proud of the place you are. Part of the large-scale attraction to Texas right now is a good combination of value (houses/cost of living/taxes) and oppurtunity (still lots of jobs). Not to say OK may not have the same things going for it, but the economy is about 10 times bigger and will probably attrack about 10 times as much interest. Population is about 6 times as much in TX, so there will be about 6 times as many people "bragging" on some city data web site :-).

3.5MM people live in OK
22.8MM people live in TX

GSP 90B in OK
GSP 1000B in TX

(data from Wiki, not my fault if it is wrong...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
tree bass, thanks you said that so well.
by the way, for those of yall who just dont understand, listen to some Pat Green songs "Songs About Texas", for one.........and maybe you might get a feel for it.
cant wait! i am moving back to Texas this September, in just a few weeks, and AM NEVER LEAVING EVER AGAIN

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,566 times
Two things:

First, Texas is “generally flat,” especially around the major population centers. Does this mean there aren’t differences in terrain state wide? Of course not. Colorado is generally mountainous. That doesn’t mean there aren’t areas of the state that are flat (e.g. the east of the state). So, it is fair to say that on a general level, if you move to Texas you are not going to be living in a town or city that has mountains nearby. You may have hills, but even those are small compared to many other places in the country.

Second, the cities. Texas cities are generally lacking in urban culture or other aspects of city life you get when you have a dense urban core. Almost no-one in Texas lives in downtown or urban areas. I admit that some of the cities are trying to build a more urban lifestyle. Yet, that is an option that is still seriously lacking. Honestly, that is a big part of the reason I left Texas. I wanted to experience a “real” city.

One of my good friends is from Chicago and he moved to Dallas for a job. He bought a condo in the West End, hoping to have some kind of urban lifestyle. Yet, he eventually left and went back to Chicago. He liked Texas and the people in Texas, but he hated the “drive everywhere” lifestyle. He also missed neighborhoods, as Texas cities generally don’t have neighborhoods, they have suburban residential developments.

All that being said, Texas is great because of the people. I was born and raised there and it will always have a draw for me, even if I dislike the politics, the weather, and the urban/environmental planning of the place.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
i cant stand those other "cities" outside of the great state of Texas...full of nothing but yuppies......at least in Texas, even in the cities you will find down home friendly folks (of course not as much as outside of the city)

Old 08-31-2006, 09:33 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Thanks Tree Bass ..... couldn't have said it better myself!

Hook 'em Horns!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Default Since this has turned a bit toward history.......a lesson:

the War for Texas Independence was actually fought.

As General Sam Houston readied his command at Buffalo Bayou on April 21st, 1836 he is said to have given a speech as to what Texas was, and what texas would become. During that speech he uttered these words:
" Gentleman, you will remember this day, this battle for the rest of your lives. However that is for tomorrow. For today you will Remember your brothers! Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad! Give em hell!!General Sam Houston April 21, 1836.

The War for Texas independence started as a rebellion against Santa Ana’s negating and nullifying the Federalist Constitution of 1824, which was molded after the U.S. Constitution. Santa Ana preferred Centralized Government, a dictatorship. The immigrants that flocked to Norte Mexico were allowed land grants if the would subject to 3 conditions.

1. Pledging allegiance to Mexico, obeying Federal and State laws
2. Learning to speak Spanish, and establish residence in Texas.
3. That they would become Catholic.

Upon agreeing to these terms, immigrants became Mexican citizens.

Under the Federalist Constitution of 1824, the regions of Texas and Coahuila were combined into one state. Soon aftwards, the State Constitution of Cohulia and Texas were adopted governed the region.
Dissatisfied with their union with Cohulia and other government policies that Santa Ana had implemented, the Texians drafted and proposed a Constitution of 1833 which would give Texas separate statehood, and equal to Cohulia, within the Republic of Mexico. It was rejected by the Central Government, ie, Santa Ana, and Stephen F. Austin was jailed for treason for a period of 2 years.

In 1835 Santa Ana deploys customs agents to ports along the Texas Gulf coast and begins collecting taxes from the Texians. In May, Texians begin to rebel against the taxation laws, Santa Ana deploys troops to Zacatecas, the Texian and Tejano rebels are executed, and the township destroyed. Sanata Ana begins a campaign to disarm the inhabitants of Texas. Thus begins not only the rebellion for separate Statehood from Cohulia, but the war for an independent and Sovereign Nation of Texas.

The war had nothing whatsoever to do with;
Anglo immigrant against Texas born Tejanos.
Had nothing whatsoever to do with anyone speaking any language other than English.
Had nothing to do whatsoever in regards to whether a person was born in Texas or immigrated to Texas.
It had nothing to do with driving Tejanos or Spanish descendants out of Texas.

It had everything to do with defeating a tyrantical oppressive Government.

------------------

Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
The land is generally flat and bland compared to most places in the country.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.
Have you ever been to the Western states? The Rockies, the Cascades, the Sierras…the Pacific Coast…the entire state of Alaska. All are some of the most awe inspiring places on earth. Some parts of Texas are pretty. But generally it is flat to generally flat. Not ugly, but nothing special. The coast, like the rest of the Gulf Coast is nothing to write home about. You shouldn’t take it personally, but it’s simply the truth.

Texas has a lot of things going for it: the people, the culture, the history, the economy…it’s just that the geography isn’t one of the bright spots.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,100 times
It's not the truth when it's your opinion.

That is the first thing I will say.

The second:

http://www.savvycenter.com/explorer/areas/infopages/caprockpic.jpg (broken link)

This is Texas.

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/jsb23/exs460/Texas%20Hill%20Country.jpg (broken link)

This is Texas.

This is Texas.

Generally not flat.

Kansas is flat. Florida is flat. Cleveland is flat.

Texas: Not Flat.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:31 AM

679 posts, read 2,834,370 times
Oh my goodness! How beautiful. Any hint as to where those locations are? Those fall pics just took my breath away. Where are those hills in the last pic?

Thanks, guys, for the Texas history. I really enjoyed reading about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas