Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,136,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about PV! HTownLove you always catch my mistakes lol.

And I agree with Overcooked. Houston just seems to have more black educated people than DFW does. Just the other day (well, 4th of July) some of my friends (two of whom came from Dallas for the weekend) spent the day poolside with four lovely young black ladies who all were engineers for ExxonMobil and Chevron. They weren't hard to find either. Black folks in DFW are by no means dumb or all (I may have created that word) ghetto. I just think the percentage of what most people consider ghetto would be a bit higher, that's all.
lol, no one said they were.

All I made was a simple lil comment about the black folks I have met thus far from DFW were hella ghetto and one DFW poster got all butt hurt

Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 900,686 times
Quote:
Oh yeah I forgot about PV! HTownLove you always catch my mistakes lol.

And I agree with Overcooked. Houston just seems to have more black educated people than DFW does. Just the other day (well, 4th of July) some of my friends (two of whom came from Dallas for the weekend) spent the day poolside with four lovely young black ladies who all were engineers for ExxonMobil and Chevron. They weren't hard to find either. Black folks in DFW are by no means dumb or all (I may have created that word) ghetto. I just think the percentage of what most people consider ghetto would be a bit higher, that's all.
Based on your interaction with 6 people? Oh, OK.

Signed,
Non-Ghetto or Country Black Guy In Dallas

Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,398,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post

Signed,
We don't know that.

Signed,
Barack Obama

Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,133,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf1996 View Post
I have lived in Desoto all my life, my mother, and my grandparents lived there when the city was just a tiny town with dirt roads. The city data does not give a good representation of the area. My house was burglarized two years ago and the police said there have been an extremely high rate of crime in the city, i.e. burglary, theft, etc. Murders are not high at all. I have since moved out of the city because of the burglary. The lady next door to me when I lived there had her purse stolen right off her arm in a grocery store parking lot. The man who lived on the other side of me is a police officer for Desoto and he said the crime rate for a town of its size is high.
Well we will have to agree to disagree then. In the 16 years I lived there, neither I nor any of my family members were victims of any crimes. I also have relatives who still live in DeSoto and they haven't had any issues either.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
k_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
We don't know that.

Signed,
Barack Obama
Yea...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 AM

3,215 posts, read 6,005,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
When I lived in Texas, I found black people in Houston to be a lot more worldly, educated, and progressive (but a lot more cocky and more arrogant compared to black folks in DFW) than black folks I knew and met from Dallas. Its a generalzation, because I met folks from all walks of life in either city, but the community in Dallas felt more provincial and "country-hoodish" and 5-10 years behind. That whole DFW/OKC/Kansas City/St. Louis region have a lot of similarities in that regard. I know the black folks from Dallas on here get upset and emotional about this, but it is what it is. Given the history and culture of both cities in regards to how races interacted there and Houston having an HBCU presence and Dallas not having one (no, Paul Quinn does not count) it explains a lot of the differences between the two.

Currently, I live in the DC area, considered to be one of the more established cities with lots of educated black professionals, and I've noticed black folks from DC who have relocated to Texas seemed to have less of a cultural adjustment moving to Houston than the ones who moved to Dallas. However, the Best Southwest burbs are held in a high regard from those who relocated from the predominantly black middle-class burbs in Prince Georges County.

Before the Houston posters start thumping their chests, Houston has it's share of "country-hoodish" characters too. Shout out to South Park, Kashmere Gardens, and the 5th Ward!
I actually agree with this. Particularly the emboldened; except that I would throw Memphis in there as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 AM

965 posts, read 1,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I actually agree with this. Particularly the emboldened; except that I would throw Memphis in there as well.
I forgot to add Memphis and Little Rock, because I do get that same feeling in those cities whenever I travel there.

I know some posters got on the defensive and that's fine because I was a bit harsh. I don't want people to think that I'm saying that black people in Dallas are all slack-jawed, gold-teeth wearing half-wits who all shop at Big-T's Bazaar and Red Bird, because that is not what I meant. There are plenty of educated, progressive blacks in the DFW area, it's just that Houston has more of them and the city feels more accommodating compared to Dallas, and Houston feels a lot more cosmopolitan and dynamic than the Metroplex. Having two large cities so close to each other with their own distinctive black communities and sprawling suburbs between them spreads a lot of "us" thin up there in the Metroplex. The "hood" areas are a lot more concentrated and given how segregated Dallas is, a lot more cut off and isolated from the overall fabric of the area.

As I stated earlier, Houston has its share of country-hoodish areas too - Houston is in the Gulf Coast region after all, so it still feels slower to me than other metro areas. Must be all that humidity, chopped-and-screwed mixtapes, and promethazine fiends stamped on sprite and lean. I prefer the Piedmont/Mid-Atlantic region myself. I plan on retiring to North Carolina on down the road, but in the highly unlikely event that I were to return to Texas, it would be Houston over DFW by a long-shot.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 07-20-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM

725 posts, read 1,248,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post

Signed,
Six people? Where did I say that? I've spent quite a bit of time up in DFW. I have extensive family in Frisco and North Dallas, and a lot of friends most of whom live in Lewisville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Duncanville. Most of the above people (admittedly not all) are not what I would call ghetto. But DFW as a whole? From what I observe through day-to-day interactions, nightlife, and just being out and about, it's a bit more "provincial" as one poster put it.

I was there for both All-Star weekend last year and the weekend surrounding the Super Bowl this year (that was an ordeal lol), and comparing it to Houston's Super Bowl in '04 or the All-Star weekend in '06 (which both bring out a little bit of everyone) I saw quite a difference.

Just one black man's opinion though.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM
k_s

Quote:
Six people? Where did I say that? I've spent quite a bit of time up in DFW. I have extensive family in Frisco and North Dallas, and a lot of friends most of whom live in Lewisville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Duncanville. Most of the above people (admittedly not all) are not what I would call ghetto. But DFW as a whole? From what I observe through day-to-day interactions, nightlife, and just being out and about, it's a bit more "provincial" as one poster put it.
I'm sure you're aware that your universe is not necessarily representative of the whole.

I encounter "country" people of all races/ethnicities from time to time, but I've never found myself wafting through the black, ghetto masses. Perhaps you're encountering these individuals because of the places you frequent? Just a thought.

Quote:
I was there for both All-Star weekend last year and the weekend surrounding the Super Bowl this year (that was an ordeal lol), and comparing it to Houston's Super Bowl in '04 or the All-Star weekend in '06 (which both bring out a little bit of everyone) I saw quite a difference.
All Star was attended by people from all around, not just Dallas.

Quote:
And you got an opinion from me as well

Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,136,441 times
Quote:
Six people? Where did I say that? I've spent quite a bit of time up in DFW. I have extensive family in Frisco and North Dallas, and a lot of friends most of whom live in Lewisville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Duncanville.

Seems like the black DFW posters are having quite a time understanding posts today.
Doesn't help their not ghetto arguments at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas