Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Native Black dallasites do seem to be subservient/country/ mentally stuck but thankfully there are alot of Blacks moving here from other cities (like myself). Most of the Black middle class came here from someplace else it seems.
One more thing: You are trying to act like Houston's black population is so mentally, educationally, economically, and socially ahead of Dallas's black population, but isn't HOUSTON the city that received the largest influx of New Orleans/Katrina evacuees out of anywhere in the entire U.S., many of whom who stayed in Houston and never went back...?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
There are a lot of Chicago and St. Louis people here too. People are just interested in Texas. LOL. When you have two metros with 1 million + plus (with one being a little more dominant than the other one) within the same state, people are going to flock to either or.

Are those figures still the same for this decade and/or current year?
You can't just say black people from the Midwest are "just interested in Texas." How many Black Midwesterners from Chicago and St. Louis---or black people in general---are moving to Austin or San Antonio?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicalOne View Post
One more thing: You are trying to act like Houston's black population is so mentally, educationally, economically, and socially ahead of Dallas's black population, but isn't HOUSTON the city that received the largest influx of New Orleans/Katrina evacuees out of anywhere in the entire U.S., many of whom who stayed in Houston and never went back...?
Have you ever thought that coming to Houston for them was probably the best thing that they could've ever done? A lot of those people probably got jobs here if they didn't move back home. That was almost 8 years ago, so that "Katrina" excuse is so dead right now.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times
Quote:
You can't just say black people from the Midwest are "just interested in Texas." How many Black Midwesterners from Chicago and St. Louis---or black people in general---are moving to Austin or San Antonio?
I can say that pretty much because blacks aren't JUST moving to Houston; they're moving to DFW as well. Also, Texas as a whole has the largest black increase in raw numbers in the US.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM

725 posts, read 1,243,098 times
Quote:
The vast majority eventually returned. Some stayed, but I wouldn't call it enough to affect the total demography of the city moving forward.

As someone who has a LOT of educated black friends/family in Dallas, I find that at least among my circle (and this is purely anecdotal) it seems that my male friends tend to prefer Houston and my female friends tend to prefer Dallas. I have two male friends who are in varying stages of the process of leaving DFW for Houston right now. I've also had friends make the opposite move in the past.

As for the reasons that split exists, at least amongst my group of friends, completely confounds me. Just based on various conversations as well as the stage of life these people are in (mid-late 20s to early 30s) my male friends seem to find Houston better in terms of nightlife and business opportunities for blacks. My female friends I'm a little less sure about, but I've had one specifically say she feels DFW is a better place to raise a family in the future.

Unscientific yes, but I think it provides at least a bit of insight...

Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,118,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post

As someone who has a LOT of educated black friends/family in Dallas, I find that at least among my circle (and this is purely anecdotal) it seems that my male friends tend to prefer Houston and my female friends tend to prefer Dallas. I have two male friends who are in varying stages of the process of leaving DFW for Houston right now. I've also had friends make the opposite move in the past.

As for the reasons that split exists, at least amongst my group of friends, completely confounds me. Just based on various conversations as well as the stage of life these people are in (mid-late 20s to early 30s) my male friends seem to find Houston better in terms of nightlife and business opportunities for blacks. My female friends I'm a little less sure about, but I've had one specifically say she feels DFW is a better place to raise a family in the future.

Unscientific yes, but I think it provides at least a bit of insight...
This is the most sensible post in this thread so far and it actually raises a great point that no one else has really hit on yet: Instead of arguing over whether Houston or DFW has more blacks living in and moving there and which has more to offer black folks, maybe people should pay more attention to the DEMOGRAPHICS (age, profession, married/single, kids, etc.) of the black people living in and moving to both areas, and what is attracting each demographic of black people to Houston and DFW respectively.

I know personally, my wife and I are a black, educated, professional couple in our early 30's and when looking to move to Texas, we visited and considered both Houston and Dallas. We both agreed that to *us*, Houston is the type of city that is fun to drive down to and visit on weekends, but then go home (and that's not to say that there is not plenty to do and see in DFW, because there is. Just different stuff to do and see in Houston). I even admitted to her that if I was still single and in my 20's, I would probably pick Houston over Dallas. But we both agreed that we liked DFW better to live, work, and raise a family in.

So at this stage in our life, Dallas is hands down the better city and area for us. This is also true of all our black, professional friends---single and married---who are in their early 30's to early 40's. On the flipside, I hear about and know of mostly black college aged and 20's singles moving to Houston since it has more of a reputation for black clubs and nightlife, which is why you hear so many black folks of the same age group and demographic calling Houston "the next Atlanta" so much (yes, they really are mentioning both cities in same breath a lot these days).

The bottom line is both Houston and DFW are roughly even when it comes to black population numbers and the amount of black transplants moving there, so it shouldn't be argued which gets or has more black people and why. What should be discussed is the TYPES of black people who flock to each area most, and why. That will tell you which city and area are better for which TYPES of black folks, and why. That's much better than just having folks just bashing each city/area and their black community, just because they are from the other. We will never get anywhere or learn anything about the black trends in each city/area doing that.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 07-31-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM

135 posts, read 134,288 times
The next Atlanta mmmmm ok?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 PM

12 posts, read 27,880 times
Houston= geared to young black and single due to the known nightlife
DFW= more for black families

Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,118,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc05 View Post
The next Atlanta mmmmm ok?
Well, both Atlanta and Houston are large, affordable, Southern cities/metros with large black populations and lots of clubs and nightlife geared towards those black populations, and with HBCU's. So how is it a stretch to compare the two?

That's why Houston seems to be more on a lot of college aged and 20's black folks' radars, whereas Dallas/Fort Worth seems to be attracting a more settle crowd of black transplants who are in their 30's or older, have a family or plan to start one soon, are firmly established in their careers, and are mostly done with all the clubs and excess partying and have decided to leave that to the college kids and 20 somethings. I guess that's why some misinformed black Houstonians tend to think and push the false idea that Dallas/Fort Worth is "boring for black folks," and "not black friendly"...?

Like I said, Houston and DFW both have a TON of great stuff to do entertainment wise for black people, or for ANYBODY who is not a homebody. It all just boils down to which one you prefer personally, but both are great cities with plenty of opportunities for blacks, young professionals, and young black professionals.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM

135 posts, read 134,288 times
But Houston has always been a magnet for blacks this isn't something new lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas