Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM

795 posts, read 1,586,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I moved to San Angelo in April and LOVE it here. I used to live in the Panhandle for about 13 years. San Angelo is small but has everything you need, it's green, it's pretty, low cost of living, great people! I never want to leave!
I totally agree. +rep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 02:10 PM

423 posts, read 824,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
If there are then tell us what you like or dislike about San Angelo.
It's uh... "family oriented town" which is just a fancy way of saying "it's boring as hell." When you got used to living in places with lots of entertainment, moving to a place like San Angelo is like switch from a color TV to black and white.

The town also has strong "conservative values" which is another way of saying that it's full of racists and bigots. Normally I don't expect a city that has more Baptist churches than convenience stores to be very open-minded, yet still, I was pretty amazed by how many complete strangers with whom I just happened to strike a conversation after finding out that I was from Corpus Christi would ask me in a really concerned tone: "How do you live over there with all them messicans around?" or "Thank God we don't have a lot 'em here!"

I remember shopping at the local H-E-B with my Hispanic girlfriend, and judging by dirty looks people were throwing at us I figured they just weren't too fond of mixed relationships.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I remember shopping at the local H-E-B with my Hispanic girlfriend, and judging by dirty looks people were throwing at us I figured they just weren't too fond of mixed relationships.
San Angelo has had a very large Hispanic community from the beginning of it's history. I managed a company and 2/3 of our staff was Hispanic. They & most Texans are very accepting of the Hispanic community and our roots go back to a very mixed community.

Maybe your appearance and attitude brought on the wrong attitude of others ?

People always blame others when they should look inside themselves.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times
Quote:
It's uh... "family oriented town" which is just a fancy way of saying "it's boring as hell." When you got used to living in places with lots of entertainment, moving to a place like San Angelo is like switch from a color TV to black and white.

The town also has strong "conservative values" which is another way of saying that it's full of racists and bigots. Normally I don't expect a city that has more Baptist churches than convenience stores to be very open-minded, yet still, I was pretty amazed by how many complete strangers with whom I just happened to strike a conversation after finding out that I was from Corpus Christi would ask me in a really concerned tone: "How do you live over there with all them messicans around?" or "Thank God we don't have a lot 'em here!"

waddaya talking about? San Angelo has a hella lot of Messicans. A lot of them are mixed though

Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,252,326 times
Good grief, there are mixed couples all over San Angelo, especially with the presence of the military and most people don't give it a second thought. Geez. I'm from Chicago and guess what? There are prejudiced people there too. Fancy that.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 PM

795 posts, read 1,586,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
San Angelo has had a very large Hispanic community from the beginning of it's history. I managed a company and 2/3 of our staff was Hispanic. They & most Texans are very accepting of the Hispanic community and our roots go back to a very mixed community.

People always blame others when they should look inside themselves.
I totally agree.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM

4 against 1... Well, there's really only two explanations:

1) I accidentally went to San Angelo in a parallel universe.
2) Things I described are present but you guys just don't really notice them.

Which explanation do you think is most probable?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
San Angelo has a hella lot of Messicans.
1/3 of the population if I'm not mistaken. Yet they're nowhere to be found, so I can only assume the place is segregated (implicitly ). In fact one of the local sweet old ladies was kind enough to suggest not to shop at certain places because that's "where beaners go to."

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
4 against 1... Well, there's really only two explanations:

1) I accidentally went to San Angelo in a parallel universe.
2) Things I described are present but you guys just don't really notice them.

Which explanation do you think is most probable?
Neither. You just don't want to admit that either your experience was unusual....or you're seeing things that just aren't there. If you're looking for predjudice or whatever, you're likely to find it.

Your attitude probably had a WHOLE LOT to do with the reactions you think you got.

Interracial couples are commonplace these days; few people give them any notice, and that includes West Texas.

And yes, I know something about West Texas/San Angelo, because I grew up not far from there.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 09-12-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At first I thought of putting on a shirt that says "Hello there puny-minded West Texas yokels! Aren't you happy that my girlfriend and I decided to grace y'all with our presence?!" But then I decided against it and left that shirt at home instead putting on a regular white t-shirt with my regular summer clothes. So I rule out the appearance.

Attitude? I admit I can be an ass on occasion, but I hardly interacted with the locals, and even when I did they were really nice to me, until they'd see my girlfriend.

So my only guess is, mixed couples make locals uneasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas