Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 AM
zix zix started this thread

79 posts, read 371,137 times

Advertisements

San Angelo Texas - which sides of town/zip codes are high crime? Which low crime?

Also, how is the crime around Angelo State University?

If one is looking to relocate to San Angelo, what part of town would you recommend and why? Im looking for a decent looking neighborhood with low crime, a neighborhood with garages, not carports....but it doesnt have to be the most expensive neighorhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I was waiting for someone else to reply as I haven't lived in San Angelo for a long time but no one has yet so... San Angelo is probably not going to be a high crime city. When I lived in San Angelo the area around the college was nice middle class family neighborhoods. I suspect it still is as well. Even back when I lived there the city seemed to be moving toward the lake. They were building alot of nice houses out that way and when I've looked at housing the higher priced homes still seem to be out that way (sometimes I get off on a tangent that I should move back so I scope out the real estate market ). I have friends that live in Southland which was pretty nice back 20 years ago and while older I think it would still be extremely safe- although mostly families. The zips might have changed but ours, and most likely Southlands as it was only 5 mintues up the road, was 76906.

When I visited San Angelo for a wedding after being gone several years I had about an hour to kill. Took a drive most of the way across town and still had 45 minutes to waste. So...you could easily attend ASU and live on the outskirts of town without a long commute. I didn't say earlier but the the lake area is to the south of town. Always confuses me as San Antonio is the opposite with the northside being where most people want to live.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
My husband and I are ASU grads, and although we haven't lived there in a long time, the city really doesn't change that much.

ASU is in a nice neighborhood. The neighborhood on one side is called Santa Rita, and it is cute older homes that (for the most part) are very well-maintained. On the other side is College Hills (streets are named for universities) and the homes there are larger and also well-maintained. All of the neighborhoods have lots of big trees.

The southwest part of town is the best part. That is the part that Ddeel mentions as being "near the lake" as in near Lake Nasworthy. The homes there are the nicest in town!

You do NOT want to live in the Lakeview neighborhood, or immediately surrounding Goodfellow AFB. Those areas are not nice. Also, avoid anything off Chadbourne Street.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 AM

81 posts, read 332,562 times
My favorite neighborhood is Santa Rita. But it's older homes(which I like) that have a lot of detached garages and carports, so you may want to go more modern. I'd say College Hills closer to ASU(and bordering Santa Rita) would be perfect for you. Then there's Southland which has more of a 'suburban' feel with the homes. More upscale would be Bentwood and the neighborhoods around the San Angelo Country Club(south SA).

Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 AM

Is there an online map showing the various neighborhoods?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
It's hard to say "crime areas." The reason I say that is because I live in the southwest side of town. We are generally middle-to-upper middle class. That means we general have more "items" worth taking. People won't generally steal from those that don't have. Now... where the "criminals" generally live is different from where they commit the crimes.

All that said, I think that the "numbered" streets on the north side of town are generally lower income housing and families. There are areas on the north side of town that are nice or okay to live in. But, most of the north and eastern sides aren't that nice (with respect to living conditions).

Relatively speaking, though, San Angelo is a fairly safe place to live regardless of where you are. The random crime rate is low, and the crimes that are committed are most often against people who are related or know each other.

The area around ASU is the same as the rest of the city, I'd say.

Here's a map that shows zip codes. I live in the southern portion of the 76901 area. https://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/San-Angelo-Texas.html

Here is also a link to our local paper (online version) Standard-Times: Local San Angelo, Texas News Delivered Throughout the Day.. There's crime reported in there, as well as daily arrests (if any), etc. If you have any other questions about crime for San Angelo, here's a link to our local police department San Angelo Police Department :: San Angelo, Texas.

Hope this all helps. I retired from the military in 2003 and have lived here since 1998. I can think of a lot worse places to live! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

~ Rath

Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Default san angelo interactive crime maps

San Angelo Police Department :: San Angelo, Texas

Property crime locations Information & News from Standard-Times (San Angelo, TX)

Old 11-28-2011, 04:55 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
It's hard to say "crime areas." The reason I say that is because I live in the southwest side of town. We are generally middle-to-upper middle class. That means we general have more "items" worth taking. People won't generally steal from those that don't have. Now... where the "criminals" generally live is different from where they commit the crimes.

All that said, I think that the "numbered" streets on the north side of town are generally lower income housing and families. There are areas on the north side of town that are nice or okay to live in. But, most of the north and eastern sides aren't that nice (with respect to living conditions).

Relatively speaking, though, San Angelo is a fairly safe place to live regardless of where you are. The random crime rate is low, and the crimes that are committed are most often against people who are related or know each other.

The area around ASU is the same as the rest of the city, I'd say.

Here's a map that shows zip codes. I live in the southern portion of the 76901 area. https://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/San-Angelo-Texas.html

Here is also a link to our local paper (online version) Standard-Times: Local San Angelo, Texas News Delivered Throughout the Day.. There's crime reported in there, as well as daily arrests (if any), etc. If you have any other questions about crime for San Angelo, here's a link to our local police department San Angelo Police Department :: San Angelo, Texas.

Hope this all helps. I retired from the military in 2003 and have lived here since 1998. I can think of a lot worse places to live! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

~ Rath
Yeah, I live in the76904 area.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,445 times
San Angelo has a lot of "nice" areas and crime is relatively low throughout San Angelo. Zip codes 76904 tends to be the newer areas but it does include some older neighborhoods as well. Santa Rita as stated is nice but inconsistent, some homes have been refurbished, may not, and prices tend to be high just because it's a preferred area by so many. Southland is another good area but it's aging so mix lot there too. Emerald Point Apartments are centrally located and close to most shopping and restaurants, they are well maintained, close to ASU and HEB. Rental units are getting scarce with the oil boom our area is experiencing right now and it's going to get worse soon. Apartments are at 85-95% occupancy levels so the prices are jumping. New complex going in now near Sam's Club that should ease the shortage soon. Rent homes are scarce and priced high due to the supply and demand situation.

San Angelo is the home to many folks retiring from all over the US so you will either love it or hate it, we have great air quality but water is always an issue. Few tress and will have fewer is water continues to be an issue. But you can't beat the people, we're friendly and it's a safe place to raise your children. It's all about priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas