Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,107,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Just more money on their pocket....they know that cars which require premium gas are more expensive, therefore, who buys those cars have more money....by the way, in some vehicles you can use regular gas instead of premium without any engine damage.....the difference is that you will not get the same performance....it's the case with some GM cars (I have a '99 Buick Regal GSE that is running for the past 18 months on regular, it's a GSE with supercharger that would require premium gas in case I want the full power of the engine.....I don't need it.....and it's running smooth and nice with regular gas....it will take a few miles to the engine computer adjust its operation to the new grade of gas but no big deal.

Now, some imports DO require premium because that's the only type of gas they have on their country of origin....so be careful and talk to your dealer.
well i have a 98 Grand Prix GTP supercharged which is paid for and no i didn't buy it because i had a lot of money. it was an even trade for my camero. I just like the power of it so i can fly past those little punks who think they have something bad. My husband recently put in a switch that changes the way the engine functions or does something to the motor (i'm not sure of the specifics) but i can use just regular unleaded if i want but since i work at home anyways, i don't need much gas to begin with so i stay with the super. I used to take it to the drag strip here before i retired it as it just rolled to 101,000 miles. It was fun but it sure can burn up a lot of gas in no time. I used to buy cars based on looks and could care less of the speed but now I got spoiled and want looks and speed of course it wasn't really an issue until the gas hit $3 a gallon. It's up to $3.19 for regular now and $3.49 for super.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,367,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
well i have a 98 Grand Prix GTP supercharged which is paid for and no i didn't buy it because i had a lot of money. it was an even trade for my camero.
Oh, I love your taste in cars!!!!!!!!!!!

Price is holding steady at 2.97.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,347,849 times
Just a note about something I found out about gas and cars recently.
My 03 PT Cruiser can NOT handle gas with ethanol in it. It sputters and runs like crud and actually get 6 miles less per gallon of gas with ethanol. It even says it in the hand book to not use gas with the additive. I know this makes the gas cheaper, but I now have to watch the signs on the pumps and look for the ethanol. Luckily I can use regular unleaded and it runs great. So if you have a car that hasn't run well on regular and you feel you need to go to the super unleaded, check to see if it might be the ethanol with you model too? I do know some cars you just HAVE to use super, if we put regular in the cobra, the darn thing won't run.
$2.97 here for regular today too. Hubby is in KA this week, he said $3.46 for regular!!!! I am SOOO happy I live in East TN.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM

81 posts, read 309,425 times
Hi........gas out this way is $3.20. First time we have been lower than where my nieces are in Indiana. I plan on robbing a bank soon as I have to fill up to drive to Vegas today

Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 AM

197 posts, read 1,066,620 times
You should be fine and get enough get up and go with regular gas on your 98 Grand Prix GTP......it's the 3.8 liter GM that I also have on my Buick. The difference in power is insignificant if you're not racing.

You may notice a small difference in the first tank but it will get back to normal as soon as you continue to use regular.

Why pay more ? ;-)

Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
You should be fine and get enough get up and go with regular gas on your 98 Grand Prix GTP......it's the 3.8 liter GM that I also have on my Buick. The difference in power is insignificant if you're not racing.

You may notice a small difference in the first tank but it will get back to normal as soon as you continue to use regular.

Why pay more ? ;-)
It does have a get up and go on regular but my husband also added a few "parts" to increase the performance of it as well as smaller belts. It's just a fun car to drive. I'm lucky if i drive 20 miles a week anyways. I live right on the edge of town so everything i need is within a 5 mile drive.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,591,550 times
Default Gas Prices

Here on the West Coast of Fl. at Hess it was $2.98 today...a real bargain
heard on the local news where Gov. Crist is thinking of taking the state tax OFF of gas for the summer, especially with Hurricane season starting June 1st
that would save the citizens approx. $.10 cents a gallon.

Still even as the prices keep going up, I don't see that people are staying home, there are still many cars on the road.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,387,727 times
While out and about this weekend in East Tennessee I've noticed that outlets within sight of the interstate highways are gouging consumers for 5 to 10 cents more per gallon.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post

Still even as the prices keep going up, I don't see that people are staying home, there are still many cars on the road.
We all just work a little more if we can so we can still have our fun. No sense in being stuck home if we can help it. I know i've been busting my butt lately just to keep up with our own outings. We're always on the go doing something fun.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,807,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
heard on the local news where Gov. Crist is thinking of taking the state tax OFF of gas for the summer, especially with Hurricane season starting June 1st
that would save the citizens approx. $.10 cents a gallon.
Now, if Governor Rendell would do that here in PA, but he won't, as it's been brought up before when people were complaining about the price of gas.
Here in PA, there's 43c added onto the price of each gallon for PA tax. And we STILL have horrible roads.

'Welcome to Pennsylvania. The Pothole State!'

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: