Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 AM

158 posts, read 322,285 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking at dunlap tn maybe to move my family to from alabama. I am a disabled veteran(can work though, lpn) so need somewhere small, rural that has churches, good schools, accepting of my adopted children(hispanic), where i can see the mountains and not terribly far from a VEterans admin hospital? Could you help me with pics , info about dunlap or another good town/city. Would like it smallish 5000 people or less. My children are in 7th and 8th grades. I like rural, love walmart too. Thanks in advance for any help. Gingerpeaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 AM

18 posts, read 61,592 times
Dunlap is great! About 6,000 people, county seat, yes, we have a WalMart. The schools are great. The falls colors are at max right now. If there is anyway you can go up to Dunlap this weekend, the view on top of Flat Top Mountain and looking down into Sequatchie Valley is AWESOME! It will take your breath away. Also, if interested, I have a log home for sale just 2 miles north of Dunlap.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM

158 posts, read 322,285 times
not sure i could afford a log home right now. Sounds awesome, have to work this wkend. Where could i find some pictures of dunlap? I looked at the chamber of commerce not many pics there . I would love to see more of it. Also i would like a older house (need at least electrical system to be ok) to fix up. Love older homes and/or rustic too. I love it up there so much. Can you see the mountains from dunlap good? Thanks so much for answering my post, i look forward to hearing more too. Hugs, gingerpeaches

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeaches View Post
Hi, I am looking at dunlap tn maybe to move my family to from alabama. I am a disabled veteran(can work though, lpn) so need somewhere small, rural that has churches, good schools, accepting of my adopted children(hispanic), where i can see the mountains and not terribly far from a VEterans admin hospital? Could you help me with pics , info about dunlap or another good town/city. Would like it smallish 5000 people or less. My children are in 7th and 8th grades. I like rural, love walmart too. Thanks in advance for any help. Gingerpeaches
Since you said you wouldn't mind suggestions of other small towns, let me offer one: Monterey. It's got about 3500 people, it's part of the Putnam County school system (easily one of the best in the state), and its elementary school is about 1/3 Hispanic. Your children would fit right in!

There's no Wal-Mart in Monterey, but there are two in Cookeville (10 miles away) as well as Sam's Club. There's a VA clinic in Cookeville, too, and a little over an hour away are two VA hospitals, one in Murfreesboro and one in Nashville.

Jguillot just returned from visiting the Monterey area and posted pics in his thread. Otherwise, here are some more pics of the town and the area around it:

Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM

80 posts, read 258,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loghomeowner View Post
Dunlap is great! About 6,000 people, county seat, yes, we have a WalMart. The schools are great. The falls colors are at max right now. If there is anyway you can go up to Dunlap this weekend, the view on top of Flat Top Mountain and looking down into Sequatchie Valley is AWESOME! It will take your breath away. Also, if interested, I have a log home for sale just 2 miles north of Dunlap.
That is one of my favorite views ever. Also, to the OP, there is a good ratio of Hispanics in Dunlap; your children shouldn't feel out of place. Also, Dunlap is close to Chattanooga. Maybe a 30 to 40 minute drive to the Hamilton Place mall. They do have a new Walmart though. 127 is the main drag through Dunlap, and the 127 sale is a big event every August.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 PM

9 posts, read 48,883 times
I worked in Dunlap back in college (GO UTC!) and would move back for the right $. I worked at Tecumseh and they made me an offer, but it was no where near the amount other companies offered me, so I moved to Knoxville.

It's a beautiful area and I'm afraid it's going to quickly be overdeveloped for people not from the area.

The drive from Jasper to Crossville is wonderful! I looked at buying land in that area back in '06 and I found that the developers thought that the land was gold. Wish I bought some 10 years ago if I could have. I would have bought 20 acres on the sequatchie river and set up a small cabin.

Personally, I was sad to hear walmart was going to move in back in '05.....but at the same time, there isn't a lot of places to buy stuff in the valley either.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 AM

98 posts, read 390,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeaches View Post
You must check out Woodbury, Tennessee -- It is one of those small towns but puts you only minutes away to Murfreesboro with the big Wal-Marts; The Veterans Hospital; Plenty of medical facilities and the University. Yet Woodbury offers country living at its best among the rolling hills of Cannon County. It helps to be a horse lover if you live in the Woodbury area.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Creek Tom View Post
You must check out Woodbury, Tennessee -- It is one of those small towns but puts you only minutes away to Murfreesboro with the big Wal-Marts; The Veterans Hospital; Plenty of medical facilities and the University. Yet Woodbury offers country living at its best among the rolling hills of Cannon County. It helps to be a horse lover if you live in the Woodbury area.
I second Woodbury. It's really such a nice little town.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,805 times
Dunlap is nice I have lived here 20 years. The schools are quite good. The teachers(most) take an interest in real education and are fighting generational ignorance. The people are the town. Not the walmart proximity.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Sal

4 posts, read 11,310 times
Default Lot for Sale in Dunlap

Anyone interested in a 1 1/2 acre lot in the valley. I bought it back in 2006, and will not be building, as originally planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee