Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,353 times

Advertisements

Who is in charge of Dunlap School's Football Games? My family is from Crossville- My son who is 8 years old, and on the mountaneers..had a game against Dunlap this last Saturday..we have been back in Tn for about 4 yrs now, I moved away as a child-and until our son started F-Ball we hadnt gotten a chance to get to see all the surrounding cities..We had played Pikeville..but when we entered Dunlap it was such a pretty place..When we got to the Dunlap Field- we commented on how nice there Schools F-Ball field and stand was. The PeeWee's were playing when we arrived, some music came over the LOUD speakers..it wasnt appropriatte for the small children playing that day..it was a rock song talking about a woman and if her body does what eyes can do..kinda strange for a kids game, but it wasnt until my sons game began and during half time they played more LOUD music, but this time it was a Horrible-Nasty- Song..and NO! not becasue it was rap, the "words" were explicit, sexual and uncalled for. The song was about a woman dancing on a pole- a stripper pole..rubbing herself up against it, upside down, I cannot even begin to remember the disgusting words to this song the Football Anouncer played at this game, their were elderely people in the stands, VERY small children..it was beyond offensive and uncalled for completley! I had planend on bringing my dad to thsi game so he could watch his grandson play- if I would have doen that..and he would have been there, I know for sure he would have gotten up and walked out of the game. The only reason I stayed was becasue my husband said it would be embarrassing to my son if I went and pulled him from the game. The anouncer played the entire song as if there was nothing wrong with playing that kind of explicit song. My husband commented that if this is what they play at the small kids games, imagine what they play at teh Highschool game. I will be telling my childs coach here in Crossville that if thats the kind of stuff my small 8 year old son is going to be exposed to, he will be pulled from it all. Other songs he played were by Metallica- Fall Out Boy- Finger Eleven..Which may not have been explicit sexually...but alot of young children have never been exposed to this music, by the parents choice!!! I am no prued and am used to the "we will rock you" song and others at games to get the kids pumped up..but for God's sake someone tell me what the purpose was to play that nasty junk at a kids game? Was anyone else there and what did you think?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
This is 2007. And that is the music kids listen to. If you think not letting your 8 year old listen to that kind of music will stop him at 13 you are crazy. that being said I agree it should not be played at pee wee games, we will rock you is good enough. I dont get the problem with metalica though. It probably was fast paced to get the kids excited. My sons old varsity coach used to play ac dc to get the kids pumped up, they never heard it before but they enjoyed it. Relax your pee wee probably couldnt even hear it with his helmet on anyway. and if he did he was not paying attention to what was said anyway. I coached for 15 years and they couldnt even hear the coaches let alone words to a song.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,272,156 times
Default No worse for the wear

I wouldn't worry overly about your son. I agree with NY in that it is most likely he couldn't hear the words or was really even paying attention to them.

When I was 9 "Grease" was out -- I saw it at least 4 or 5 times at the drive-in, my friends and I singing out hearts out word-for-word to each and every song. Yep, that includes "Greased Lightning" ("you are supreme, the chicks'll #*$^ for greased lighting!") as well as "Sandra Dee" ("Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee, Lousy with virg.....") Oh and did I mention my name is Sandra so I REALLY took pride in beltin' out that one! Regardless, I had NO idea what I was singing -- I just liked the beat and the music. My mother never worried about it and I was no worse for the wear. Though I must admit when I heard it again as an older teen - amusingly embarrassed, I said to my Mom "I can't BELIEVE you let me do THAT!"

Point being, I wouldn't stress myself out too much about it affecting your son. However, I must say I DO totally agree that with elderly and other folks sensitive to that sort of thing obviously in attendance, those sound like inappropriate choices.

Good Luck -- I certainly respect standing up for what you believe in!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 AM

50 posts, read 146,523 times
You can't hide your kid from this music forever. The part I don't understand is your concern about Metallica. If I had a kid and they listened to Metallica I would think it was cute. Only if it was old Metallica though because their newer albums are pretty awful.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Fall Out Boy can be considered offensive just because they're terrible.

Did anyone else notice this "disgusting" music, or was it just you?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
After checking, the original poster seems to have only signed up to post about this topic and has not been back since that day. This post/thread was actually a duplicate and should have been deleted back when. Since there are responses I will just close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee