Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 107,657 times

Advertisements

I will be purchasing a used trailer (enclosed) to tow my ATVs to the trails. However, I would like to be able to travel to Kentucky and North Carolina with my trailer. However, I have been in contact with numerous people and they don’t have the titles to the trailers.

My question is will a Bill of Sale be enough to get a license plate from TN? I don’t want to be stuck with a trailer that I can’t travel out of state with. And I can’t accord to purchase a new one with a title.

I can’t locate any information that states a Bill of Sale will work.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,120 times
Thumbs up NO plates needed..

Frosty , GOOD NEWS, NO plates are needed for personal trailers in TENN. The adjacent states should
know of this with a TENN plate on your vehicle.. IF you have a bigger enclosed commercial trl like 20 ft , you may be needed to get a plate.....My New Mexico friend got a Tenn plate cause he travels so far thru states.
. Yes a Bill of Sale would work if you want a plate.... Be sure to LOCK the hitch , or store out of view, when not using..Those enclosed trailers are about the Number # ONE item STOLEN in the state. .. Paint a unique picture on the sides..??

Last edited by SPLIT; 06-18-2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: more iinfo

Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM

12 posts, read 107,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
Frosty , GOOD NEWS, NO plates are needed for personal trailers in TENN. The adjacent states should
know of this with a TENN plate on your vehicle.. IF you have a bigger enclosed commercial trl like 20 ft , you may be needed to get a plate.....My New Mexico friend got a Tenn plate cause he travels so far thru states.
. Yes a Bill of Sale would work if you want a plate.... Be sure to LOCK the hitch , or store out of view, when not using..Those enclosed trailers are about the Number # ONE item STOLEN in the state. .. Paint a unique picture on the sides..??

Thanks for the information. I have to look into parking in my back yard. it's big but slopes and I put up to small of gate to get thru with a vehicle.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Try this again.. PDF doc. http://www.countyclerkanytime.com/Ta...quirements.pdf

Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 42,685 times
i have an enclosed trailer that was used to haul atvs..the trailer was grated to my x husband in the divorce..but he was court order to have it off the property in 30days its been 6 months...i dont have the title can i sell this and the person buying get a title or how can i do this

Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
The person who sold me my trailer said it does need a plate to travel out of state.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyloww View Post
i have an enclosed trailer that was used to haul atvs..the trailer was grated to my x husband in the divorce..but he was court order to have it off the property in 30days its been 6 months...i dont have the title can i sell this and the person buying get a title or how can i do this
Unless the divorce paperwork attached legal penalties if he didn't retrieve it within 30 days, there are no legal consequences you can use. No, you cannot sell it outright because it's his property.

If you're still in contact with your lawyer you can see what other options you have. Maybe give him some sort of legal notice saying that if he doesn't get it in 30 days you're going to sell it to get reimbursed for back parking fees.

Or, make him think it's stolen. Send him a message thanking him for coming to get it. When he says he didn't come get it, act surprised. When he shows up to check on it, tell him to take it or you're selling it.

Of course, if it really does get "stolen" while you aren't looking, then what can you do? You looked out one day and it was gone. If he shows up to get it at some point in the future act surprised and say you noticed it was missing several months ago and thought he came to get it. (Don't do this last one - it's illegal)

Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM

352 posts, read 883,145 times
JWK,,,thanks for giving me my snicker for the day!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 36,331 times
We have a 21 travel trailer...is this an RV needing a title and tag??

Old 11-22-2014, 05:46 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annegilmer1 View Post
We have a 21 travel trailer...is this an RV needing a title and tag??

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24797098-post4.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee