Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 14,408 times

Advertisements

I currently have a car registered in North Carolina which I gave to my aunt that lives in Tennessee. The car is still currently in NC and inoperable due to having no engine. She drove to NC, we signed the title over and she left back to TN without the car since her husband will come and tow it back after the title work has process. Now the thing is, they call me and said that inorder to even change just the title, without tag, she will have to get the car inspected first in TN.

So the thing is now that the car is undriveable and there is no way to get it inspected unless we fix the car first. Is there any other way to get the title situated first before having to repair the car? Is it really necessary to have the car inspected before changing the title without tag?

NC DMV rules are different and I would gladly appreciate if anyone could shine some light on this situation.

God bless.

Last edited by JDM Tas; 01-11-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM

249 posts, read 660,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM Tas View Post
I currently have a car registered in North Carolina which I gave to my aunt that lives in Tennessee. The car is still currently in NC and inoperable due to having no engine. She drove to NC, we signed the title over and she left back to TN without the car since her husband will come and tow it back after the title work has process. Now the thing is, they call me and said that inorder to even change just the title, without tag, she will have to get the car inspected first in TN.

So the thing is now that the car is undriveable and there is no way to get it inspected unless we fix the car first. Is there any other way to get the title situated first before having to repair the car? Is it really necessary to have the car inspected before changing the title without tag?

NC DMV rules are different and I would gladly appreciate if anyone could shine some light on this situation.

God bless.
Perhaps it is just the county where she lives, because unless the law has changed recently, there is nothing stopping a title from being transferred. The only exception is that the vehicle has to be registered before the title can be transferred a 2nd time.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 PM

When you say register, are you referring to adding the car onto their insurance policy first? She lives near Nashville so I am unsure what county that would be in.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
A link that may answer your question.. Home - TN.gov

Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Must be the county. Most in TN don't have inspections clauses, such as Knoxville. I believe that if you live in Chattanooga and a few other places you have to have a car inspected before it can be registered. You are going to have to check with the county.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:06 PM

67 posts, read 103,981 times
I have a feeling they are talking about the emission testing as she lives near Nashville. I would suggest calling the Tennessee Department of Revenue/Taxpayer and Vehicle Services Division at (888) 871-3171 and ask them specifically what they require to get the vehicle titled.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Thank you greatly for all the input and help. Will certainly give them a call tomorrow morning.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM

67 posts, read 103,981 times
Not a problem. I do know TN depends more on their county clerks offices for their title work, but I don't know which county she lives in. If she is in the county that Nashville is in, it's Davidson. The number I gave you is the one they listed on the State of Tennessee site regarding titling questions. It also lists all the county clerk offices and their numbers. The page is url is: Vehicle Title & Registration

Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Just gave my aunt a call and she said they live in Rutherford County. She could file for a title only by writing them a written letter for an appeal without having to get the car registered. I will call their county clerk to verify this information beforehand.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Actually, the state website says nothing about testing for anything. I think that is for registering the vehicle.

Titling a Vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee