Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,253 times

Advertisements

" When we first got here, we lived in a VERY rural area of Jefferson County and the people would ask me "what church do you go to, do you want to come to ours?" I would politely say we are catholic, thank you we have a church" Some people would look at us like we had 3 heads as the majority of the population there is Baptist, some would even make a comment about us being involved with the "wrong" religion. That kinda irked me as I believe every American has the right to choose."

This has been my big concern with moving to Tennessee, is that we are catholic and I know this is the Bible Belt but I have lived in Texas and Florida, where there are a quite a few good catholic parishes. What has been your experience and is it really hard to raise your kids catholic there? Are the parishes really small or do they have a lot of ministries. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,420,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmommyof2 View Post
" When we first got here, we lived in a VERY rural area of Jefferson County and the people would ask me "what church do you go to, do you want to come to ours?" I would politely say we are catholic, thank you we have a church" Some people would look at us like we had 3 heads as the majority of the population there is Baptist, some would even make a comment about us being involved with the "wrong" religion. That kinda irked me as I believe every American has the right to choose."

This has been my big concern with moving to Tennessee, is that we are catholic and I know this is the Bible Belt but I have lived in Texas and Florida, where there are a quite a few good catholic parishes. What has been your experience and is it really hard to raise your kids catholic there? Are the parishes really small or do they have a lot of ministries. Any information would be appreciated.
Knoxville's Diocese is fabulous. There are some really great parishes here, as well as good Roman Catholic schools. This is a city. Not a very large city, but still...And the people of this area are very accepting of other religions and tend to not get in your business. I'm a transplant from the northeast, by the way.

The Diocese of Knoxville

Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 AM

851 posts, read 2,463,782 times
One very good reason NOT to move to Tennessee.
If you like the rush, rush hurry and get things done type of life. Of if you like to complain if things aren't just right the way you like it. The type of life that South Florida and any other cities where everyone is always in a hurry. Or if you like everything to look like a country club, don't move to Tennessee.

And reasons you might consider a move.
If YOU can ADJUST with the way things are in Tennessee and not want to change a thing, then you will love it there. If you really want the slower pace of life you will do fine.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,986 times
Post East Tennessee

I always think it's good to have a feel for the political climate anywhere that you are considering living. East Tennessee is strongly Republican, and I cannot imagine it ever changing. (I grew up there and still visit because of family.) And, I think others may have touched on it being a hub of sorts - there are several interestates that run through East Tennessee so there will always been more traffic than one might think (especially in the northeast portion/Knoxville area). Finally, I don't find East Tennessee to be as diverse as one might think in spite of it having a convergence of major thoroughfares. Those are the things I would think of as possible deterrents to making East TN a home.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM

231 posts, read 597,223 times
Default any reason not to live in east tn

None that I can think of. Crime rates are higher and gangs more prevalent in the larger cities-not so much in rural climes. I would take the gang claims with a grain of Salt. Big deal locally-very rural-about gangs. The discussion died down in a couple of days. I think it all was started by a local cop who saw two kids walking along wearing hoodies and smoking Kools.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 18 days ago)

16,149 posts, read 21,279,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
None that I can think of. Crime rates are higher and gangs more prevalent in the larger cities-not so much in rural climes. I would take the gang claims with a grain of Salt. Big deal locally-very rural-about gangs. The discussion died down in a couple of days. I think it all was started by a local cop who saw two kids walking along wearing hoodies and smoking Kools.
Gangs- we moved here from Memphis, my daughter made a comment about how small towns weren't her cup of tea, "I mean I can count on one hand the number of tagged buildings I've seen"
I considered that a ringing endorsement.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM

451 posts, read 1,375,026 times
ONe reason not to move to East TN.... allergies!!! Knoxville is the worst!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,269 times
Why not to move to Tennessee?
Speaking of my area (Cocke County) there is one overwhelming reason not to move here and that is that the area is so beautiful that you will be continually overwhelmed by the scenery and everyone you know will want to visit you. In fact, while driving here you are continually in danger of being arrested for "Driving under the influence of beauty!".

I moved here 3 years ago and began to love it right away. I talked it up to my relatives and they are now flocking here. (which is wonderful!) My sister and her hubby built just two miles from me and my nephew is now purchasing a 5 acre plot right across the road from me. Another relative, by marriage, just bought 5 -1 acre lots on our recommendation.

The only bad thing (seriously) is that our sales tax is high and the tax is on EVERYTHING. However, that high tax is offset by very low property taxes and very low fees & such on other things. Auto registration, for example, is only 15 bucks per year!

Another great thing about Cocke County is that we have no building codes at all. We have no building department, no zoning commission, or any other such nonsense. As a result, no building permits are required to build your own house or anything else. This keeps the cost of building a home way, way down. My property is completely unrestricted and not zoned. I could build and operate a store here if I wanted to. I can have livestock of any kind.

In short, this County is a very simple place to build and just live your life, free of most of the hassles and expenses encountered in most Counties across the nation. I love it!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM

187 posts, read 347,832 times
One big downside to living in East Tennessee: Pollution. Too many major highways and too much industry where the environment is concerned. The area is one of the worst in the country for air quality. If you have asthma, prepare to suffer for the better part of the year. It's hard to enjoy the wonderful scenery when you can't breathe. Additionally, allergies are bad here for many people as well.

I'm originally from Texas. I have lived in Knoxville for five years. I had easily manageable asthma my entire life, leading up to my move to East Tennessee. However, my asthma has been a horrible day to day struggle in Knoxville (and I live in rural area outside of the city). Unfortunately, the air quality in the National Park is statistically worse than in the city of Knoxville (look it up). If you don't have asthma before you move here...you might develop it living here.

Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains are great places...with yet another exception: So much natural beauty and nothing being done to build the area around the natural beauty. Instead, many neighborhoods and towns are in disarray. Additionally, industry spoils the great majority of the nature here. Alcoa is an absolute eyesore (sorry Alcoa) that hides the backdrop of the Smokies behind ugly buildings and smokestacks.

Furthermore, if you're someone who values history you will be appalled at how little this area does value its rich history. Little-to-no preservation is done in regards to historical sites. On top of that, it doesn't hold in high regard the value of educating its citizens on their local history. Too many people here align themselves with the historic Confederate South and adopt that ideology, despite the fact that Civil War era Knoxville and East Tennessee consisted of strong abolitionists who opposed secession and didn't own slaves.

If widespread delusion doesn't bother you, you will probably be just fine.

The greater Knoxville area has loads of potential (and is a beautiful place despite not living up to its potential) it just needs the right local government to improve upon the things that have been neglected.

Last edited by TexKnox; 04-26-2012 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: whoops

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM

6,364 posts, read 11,640,744 times
Quote:
you will be appalled at how little this area does value its rich history. Little-to-no preservation is done in regards to historical sites.
Hunh? Have you visited the historical mansions and James White fort? Are you aware of the work that Legacy parks is doing to preserve the civil war sites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee