Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:25 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I've been missing the old Rio Bravo chain ever since they vacated Florida for the tortillas; they had the big machine right there in the dining room cranking them out all day.

I go to Senor Tequila on Dale Mabry North a lot now; I don't think they make the tortillas but other than that the food is excellent and the menu is huge. Tuesdays they have $3 margaritas too; strong ones.
Ohhh I miss Rio Bravo!!! We go to Las Mariachis in Largo when we are craving Mexican... theyre definitely not top-notch amazing, but I dont think theyre horrible either...they have fish bowl margaritas... and their little Mariachi band comes to your table and sings to you, so thats always a fun perk and something to keep the kiddos entertained =)

Ive tried Vallartas in Carrollwood and was disappointed with the service, but it was taco day and the tacos were well cheap and pretty tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:06 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Vallartas has been featured countless times on the local TV stations in one of those "Dirty Dining" investigations. kitchens infested with roaches. YUM!

there is a new place in Land O Lakes thats getting rave reviews; i am going to try it, even though every time i try a new mexican place in florida, it's never as good as what you would find in texas or cali.

http://www.capitaltacos.com/

i tried pancho's villa in san antonio and i could feel my arteries clogging from how greasy it was; i was served a plate of food that had a 1-inch layer of grease on top; atrocious. not to mention that the salsa that they serve free on the table tastes like spaghetti sauce

REALLY PANCHO? you insult the intelligence of your customers when you make salsa with spaghetti sauce

Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 PM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
AND....another Mexican joint closed in Palm Harbor. I think this must be a record at that locale.

Adios, Burrito Bus

Old 10-23-2013, 05:16 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
When I lived down there my fave place was sabor a mexico on brandon blvd in brandon . It is really good food whenever Im down there on business I stop by they still remember me .

Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
well i went to the place in land O lakes, capital tacos

mistake

1. place was extremely dirty, and they were slicing up raw chicken right behind the cash register, no gloves

2. very few places to sit, very uncomfortable seating, place looks like it was thrown together in cheapest possible way

3. got 2 tacos, both had BROWN (as in rotten) avocado on them

4. chicken taco was raw. as in when i bit into the chicken tender in the taco, the middle of it was raw. i returned it to them and they apologized.

5. they have generic (nasty tasting) sodas at the fountain, dont go here expecting coke or pepsi products

6. and this is why mexican food in tampa bay is deplorable

Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
well i went to the place in land O lakes, capital tacos

mistake

1. place was extremely dirty, and they were slicing up raw chicken right behind the cash register, no gloves

2. very few places to sit, very uncomfortable seating, place looks like it was thrown together in cheapest possible way

3. got 2 tacos, both had BROWN (as in rotten) avocado on them

4. chicken taco was raw. as in when i bit into the chicken tender in the taco, the middle of it was raw. i returned it to them and they apologized.

5. they have generic (nasty tasting) sodas at the fountain, dont go here expecting coke or pepsi products

6. and this is why mexican food in tampa bay is deplorable
Wow - Thanks for the info about Capital Taco! Yeah, I don't know why it's such a challenge here! When I lived up north in CT there were plenty of good Mexican restaurants to choose from. I think sometime soon I'll have to make the trip up to San Antonio for Panchos!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:12 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
It's actually in San Antonio. I'd be interested in your review, if you do go.

Pancho's Villa Mexican Restaurant - San Antonio, FL

Pancho's Villa Mexican Restaurant - San Antonio, FL - YouTube

The owner has an interesting story, too. I remember reading about it in the paper a couple of years back, but I can't find the article now. Will post if I can locate it.

I did end up going to Pancho's last weekend. We moved since I originally posted the thread and we live 10-15 mins from there. Ohmygod.. the food was amazing. I had chicken tacos and my hubby had enchiladas. The flavoring of the chicken was just perfect. The chips/salsa they gave before were really good too! They give you two different ones. A milder one and a spicier one. We preferred the spicier one. It was a small place, but cute. Probably about 15 tables in there! I have found my to go to place for Mexican food.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:10 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I did end up going to Pancho's last weekend. We moved since I originally posted the thread and we live 10-15 mins from there. Ohmygod.. the food was amazing. I had chicken tacos and my hubby had enchiladas. The flavoring of the chicken was just perfect. The chips/salsa they gave before were really good too! They give you two different ones. A milder one and a spicier one. We preferred the spicier one. It was a small place, but cute. Probably about 15 tables in there! I have found my to go to place for Mexican food.
Thanks for the update. I guess you and sinatras had very different experiences. Yours was as I remember it.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
So glad you loved it! This has always been my FAVORITE Mexican place anywhere, and I miss it since we live in Sarasota now. Plus I love the "old house" ambiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay