Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

Miguels on Kennedy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggtex View Post
Shorty, we live in Dallas area and have GREAT Tex-Mex here. This is one thing wife says she's going to really miss when we move there. Great question and looking forward to replies as well.
The mexican food here is as good as most parts of the country, but it's not the same as in Texas. Mexican food is just different there. It's going to be very hard to find something equivalent here. Normal regional dish thing. For me (Philly area), the tough thing to find is what every dive italian joint has up there: good pizza, cheesesteaks, meatball parms, etc.

To the OP, I know you want sit-down, so this isn't a good answer, but try Casita (4th St N in St. Pete) for your taco fix. Great food. If drinking's part of the equation, Red Mesa Cantina downtown is a fun spot, particularly if it's nice outside.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
I like Vallarta's on Dale Mabry. Fast, good service, a bit dirty, consistent. You also get a Salad Bar/Soup with any full entree. I usually fill up on the soup and take my entree home. LOL

Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Any person who is accustomed to the wonderful Mexican food in California or Texas will think that Vallarta's, Casita, Miguel's, Red Mesa, Urban Cantina, Chihuahua is dog food. If you don't believe me, just peruse the hundreds of forums on the Internet. The posts all begin the same way....

"Hi, I just moved to Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater from XXXXXXXXX, Texas or XXXXXXXX, California, and I can't find good Mexican food."

If I won the lottery I would open a franchise here of one of the great Mexican restaurants out west.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Any person who is accustomed to the wonderful Mexican food in California or Texas will think that Vallarta's, Casita, Miguel's, Red Mesa, Urban Cantina, Chihuahua is dog food. If you don't believe me, just peruse the hundreds of forums on the Internet. The posts all begin the same way....

"Hi, I just moved to Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater from XXXXXXXXX, Texas or XXXXXXXX, California, and I can't find good Mexican food."

If I won the lottery I would open a franchise here of one of the great Mexican restaurants out west.
I can't believe people are still kvetching about the lack of "good" Mexican food.....

However, this place (Mi Pueblo on University/Tuttle) in Sarasota serves organic and vegan (along with more traditional fare) and is quite good:

Sarasota Organic Food Restaurant | Vegetarian Restaurant

It's all much lighter and fresher than the usual lard-laden Mexican.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I can't believe people are still kvetching about the lack of "good" Mexican food.....

However, this place (Mi Pueblo on University/Tuttle) in Sarasota serves organic and vegan (along with more traditional fare) and is quite good:

Sarasota Organic Food Restaurant | Vegetarian Restaurant

It's all much lighter and fresher than the usual lard-laden Mexican.
Nope, nope dog food.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
LOl this is how I feel about Cuban food ,,, although the Columbia does pretty good- give me S-FL anytime...

Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
SoFla cuban food is awesome. that's because there's a zillion more cubans there demanding that the food be better. while in tampa there's not that many cubans demanding the food be better. in fact, there's plenty of people who go to restaurants in tampa and are served black beans with zero flavor, and they think wow, great cuban food!

whereas if u are served flavorless black beans in so florida, you will be out of business. because there's 25 places with great beans within a half-mile.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM

125 posts, read 172,570 times
Most everything mentioned is very sub par, although I think Vallartas is solid. More like Mexico City than coastal Mexico cuisine or Tex Mex, but hits the spot. I prefer the Busch or Bruce B Downs locations.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:39 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Miguels on Kennedy?

No offense but their food stinks...it's a step up from a TV Dinner.

I haven't found any decent Mexican food except-:

Casita Taqueria-it's a taco place in St. Petersburg...small hole in the wall
Senor Taco is decent-another hole in the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay