Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 19,211 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be moving to the St. Louis area and found some valuable insight with this thread but I was wondering if anybody had specific lofts that they recommend. I will be working primarily in the O'fallon IL area, but would rather live in a larger city like St. Louis. How bad would the morning and evening commute be? Is traffic bad? I am a recent college graduate (23 YO) and I am moving to this area with my girlfriend. We want to look at about 5-10 lofts this coming weekend and wondered if anybody had good recommendations. We would like to be within close walking distance of restaurants and bars but live in a safe neighborhood. So far we are only looking at the Soulard Market Lofts. We are looking to spend around $1200 a month and would like a pool, fitness, center, and parking if that is a possibility. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:21 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times
Check out the following loft building downtown. I live downtown and here are some good ones. You should be able to google their websites. Its a reverse commute to O'fallon so it shouldnt be that bad.

Ely Walker Lofts
Syndicate
Bogen Lofts.
Rudman lofts
Fashion Square Lofts
Bee Hat Lofts
Merchandise Mart Lofts
Cupples Station Lofts
Ventana Lofts
Dorsa Lofts

Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 19,211 times
Thank you for all of those lofts. I like a lot of those and have chosen a few to take a look at this coming week. I also forgot to ask about driving through East St. Louis. Obviously if I live in this downtown loft area and commuting to O'fallon I will be driving back at night through East St. Louis. Is it really as bad as everyone says? Would I not want to drive through that area? If not how far out of the way would I have to go to avoid it?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senescu View Post
Thank you for all of those lofts. I like a lot of those and have chosen a few to take a look at this coming week. I also forgot to ask about driving through East St. Louis. Obviously if I live in this downtown loft area and commuting to O'fallon I will be driving back at night through East St. Louis. Is it really as bad as everyone says? Would I not want to drive through that area? If not how far out of the way would I have to go to avoid it?
You are going to be driving on interstate the entire way back to O'fallon. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Regardless, there really isnt an area anywhere in the St Louis Metro that you should be afraid of 'driving through.'

Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,596 times
If you've got that much to spend, I'd recommend Clayton or Central West End. Clayton is not in the city, but has it's own business district and is well-connected to the city and in close proximity. It has a more 'upscale' type of downtown with local (and high quality) cafes, shops, boutiques, coffee joints, etc. It is also VERY WELL policed. I would feel completely safe traversing downtown Clayton at night. There's practically a cop car around every corner. Downtown Clayton is definitely one of the nicest places around, I'd look there first. And there are CONDOS GALORE. It seems to be the Clayton-thing.

Central West End is another great location, it's in the city, and in the heartbeat of St. Louis, especially the artsy side. (Symphony, Fox Theatre, Muny, Rep, etc.) The town has a lot of history, and generally a beautiful location. It will definitely be more city-like, with housing closer together and such. Also, CWE is a bit grungier than Clayton, being in the city. (But everything's grungier than Clayton. You could practically eat off Clayton's streets. lol.) CWE is the perfect place for the young adults--college and grad school age, 20+ without kids, that is. You really are in the thick of everything near Forest Park, the Delmar Loop, and mid-St. Louis art scene. It's just a neighborhood or two east of where I (and a lot of my St. Louis friends) plan to live after I'm done with school, but before I 'settle down'. When I was a baby we used to live in CWE, before we moved out to West County before kindergarten to take advantage of the excellent county school districts.

That's kind of the thing in St. Louis. People with the mean$ rent out in the nice parts of the city to start off, for the liveliness of the city, but then move out to the county for the school districts when they have kids that need schooling. (The country districts are some of the best schools you can come by, Ladue and Clayton are in the top 500 or so for the nation.)

Don't live in O'Fallon. O'Fallon is one of those places I would never live in. You want to be on the west side of the river, I promise.

Last edited by brokenshard; 12-28-2009 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: right thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenshard View Post
If you've got that much to spend, I'd recommend Clayton or Central West End. Clayton is not in the city, but has it's own business district and is well-connected to the city and in close proximity. It has a more 'upscale' type of downtown with local (and high quality) cafes, shops, boutiques, coffee joints, etc. It is also VERY WELL policed. I would feel completely safe traversing downtown Clayton at night. There's practically a cop car around every corner. Downtown Clayton is definitely one of the nicest places around, I'd look there first. And there are CONDOS GALORE. It seems to be the Clayton-thing.

Central West End is another great location, it's in the city, and in the heartbeat of St. Louis, especially the artsy side. (Symphony, Fox Theatre, Muny, Rep, etc.) The town has a lot of history, and generally a beautiful location. It will definitely be more city-like, with housing closer together and such. Also, CWE is a bit grungier than Clayton, being in the city. (But everything's grungier than Clayton. You could practically eat off Clayton's streets. lol.) CWE is the perfect place for the young adults--college and grad school age, 20+ without kids, that is. You really are in the thick of everything near Forest Park, the Delmar Loop, and mid-St. Louis art scene. It's just a neighborhood or two east of where I (and a lot of my St. Louis friends) plan to live after I'm done with school, but before I 'settle down'. When I was a baby we used to live in CWE, before we moved out to West County before kindergarten to take advantage of the excellent county school districts.

That's kind of the thing in St. Louis. People with the mean$ rent out in the nice parts of the city to start off, for the liveliness of the city, but then move out to the county for the school districts when they have kids that need schooling. (The country districts are some of the best schools you can come by, Ladue and Clayton are in the top 500 or so for the nation.)

Don't live in O'Fallon. O'Fallon is one of those places I would never live in. You want to be on the west side of the river, I promise.
Clayton to O'fallon, IL would not at all be a pleasant commute.

CWE to O'fallon would be tolerable.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM

270 posts, read 856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenshard View Post

Why no love for the Metro East? I am from O'Fallon and it was very comparable to most STL county cities. I would even say it has better access to the city and is just as crime free. Other parts are a little seedier, getting closer to the river, but you just go over them on the interstate. O'Fallon is very comparable to Clayton, just not as expensive. Just ask the Cardinals who have homes out this way.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
Why no love for the Metro East? I am from O'Fallon and it was very comparable to most STL county cities. I would even say it has better access to the city and is just as crime free. Other parts are a little seedier, getting closer to the river, but you just go over them on the interstate. O'Fallon is very comparable to Clayton, just not as expensive. Just ask the Cardinals who have homes out this way.
Nothing wrong with O'fallon, but its a very different suburb than Clayton.

Clayton

I couldnt find a picture of O'fallons downtown because there really isnt much of a downtown. It is certainly comparable to many suburbs on the other side of the river, just not Clayton.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,891,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post

The metro east definitely gets looked over a lot and I am guilty of that too, but I know there are some pretty neat places on the other side of the river. However, the post he was responding to was someone looking for "lofty" city living, in which case, Clayton, CWE and Downtown would be much better options than suburban O'Fallon IL. You're right that it's comparable to many St. Louis county cities, but that's not really what the poster is looking for.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times
Honestly if you are looking for city life you are better off downtown, Soulard, or CWE than Clayton. Not sure why but I never found Clayton than appealing. Its not nearly as vibrant, overpriced, and is practically void of pedestrians after 6pm. Not knocking it, just different strokes for different folks.

Ofallon is actually one of the better suburbs in STL. If I had to choose living in Ofallon or anywhere west of Lindbergh I would choose the metro east in a heartbeat. You can get to downtown from Ofallon during non rush hour in like 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis