Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 15,252 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am planning to move to St. Louis from Chicago very soon for a job i just received. I have read through some of the other threads and done some research online about the different neighborhoods in the city, but not much on the burbs.

I am 27 years old and enjoy the city life way more than the burbs, where i have lived and grown up around Chicago. I am looking to get a place in St. Louis something along the lines of Lincoln Park or Wicker Park, with a large young population and night life. From what i have gathered i want to move to Central West End. I am slightly worried about all of the car break-ins i read about in CWE though.

Is there anyone who can help me make a comparison between Chicago and St. Louis neighborhoods. Any Ideas, Thoughts, Suggestions...

Thanks a million!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,812,021 times
You haven't been concerned with the ones in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park? Why don't you stroll West of Western Ave in Wicker Park or the West Side of Lincoln Park late at night and get back to me. (full disclosure: I've lived in Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Lincoln Park as well as St. Louis) I've also spent a lot of time in Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, West Loop, South Loop, among other places in the City of Chicago.

Central West End is a good choice for you. St. Louis is much more inexpensive, although CWE would be one of the more pricier areas in the city. As others would tell you, North St. Louis City is rough. It is like parts of Chicago's South Side and West Sides. However, the CWE is a good, popular choice. If you still seek other choices in the city let us know.

Car break ins happen in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park too, among other things. You can invest in secure parking, and it will be much less of an investment than in Chicago.

There are other choices for you as well, urban and suburban depending on your preferences. Considering what you seek, I would think you would be happiest in an urban area, CWE, Downtown, Soulard, or in a South City neighborhood. I believe your first choice of CWE is a very good one for you.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks Fishtacos, this is very useful info. I know break-ins happen a lot even in Chicago but i just saw a lot of posting about them on an apartment review website i was browsing. And i do realize these are all people going to vent about bad experiences. I will be working at ScotTrade and will most likely commute by car, unless Metro goes there. I never heard anything about Soulard, I will look into this area also.
Thanks

Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,858,478 times
You mean Scottrade Center or one of Scottrade's offices?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM

I will be working in the Headquarters in Des Peres.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,812,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepper View Post
I will be working in the Headquarters in Des Peres.
You will likely be at 270 and Manchester for work and you can drive via Hwy 44 or 40 into the city. (40 is temporarily shut down until the end of 09 for expansion, when it is up, you will have an easy commute)

Again, based on your background, interests and lifestyle, I recommend the city. U.City and Clayton would be the two other non-city, inner rung burb recomendations for you.

If you are still open to looking at non-city areas, there are a few to check out. Remember, this isn't 2-2.5 hrs one way on 90 or 290 to the burbs like Chicago. Your hwy drive time will eventually be 20 minutes tops after construction is finished if you started downtown and back from Des Peres.

Des Peres as I am sure you have found out by now, is a nice family burb, not suited to your current interests. When you are married with kids and possibly doing the burb thing one day, you'll have lots of choices in and near your work, and all will be a short gaunt into the city.

Here's where I'd check out if it were me based on your interests and background in no order:

1) University City, locally known as U.City. It's main drag is Delmar Ave and it's called "The Loop." It's an ecclectic diverse area close to Washington University, an elite Northwestern/U of Chicago type school. It has lots of ethnic eats, a great music venue, etc.. It is also close to Forest Park, my personal favorite thing about St. Louis. 1300 acres of park, and on one side is Wash U/U City and the other is the Central West End. I'd check out these areas. The further East you go on Delmar, the areas North of Delmar get more crime ridden. There are Metro Link Light Rail stops in U.City and CWE.

2) Clayton. Clayton is inner run burb next to U.City. It is pricier, very clean, has its own downtown walkable areas, like a 2nd downtown in Stl. It's approx 8 miles West of Downtown Stl. It contains lots of lawyers, financial types, power types, with lots of restaurants, shops, etc...Lots of young people in St. Louis live in this area as well, they are often white collar workers, of the financial and lawyer variety. U.City would be more ecclectic and Clayton would be more uppity and clean cut. It'd be mildly similar to Evanston or Oak Park, as a good choice inner rung burb. Drive time is much closer to the city in Stl. No car break ins in Clayton, very safe.

I can give you many nice burbs not far from your work, some with Evanston/Oak Park like character and some not like a nice non-descript Chicago burb. I don't think you need that info.

St. Louis is a driving town. Metrolink is nice if it is near you, but it is in its infancy stages and it is not comprehensive. Unless you live near a stop, you will likely be driving a lot, and that's not all that hard to do in Stl.

Central West End, Downtown Loft District, Soulard would be good choices for you. South City would be as well especially Tower Grove Heights or South near the bustle of South Grand or other parts of South City or the Hill.

The Soulard will have occasional car break ins as well as the occasional panhandler late at night. It is not free of crime, but I know many single females living alone there and pleased. It has lots of restaurants, bars, and is close to some other interesting neighborhoods, like Benton Park, Lafayette Square, etc...It's quiet during the week and loud and rowdy, depending on where in the Soulard you live on the weekends. It's definitely worth a look and comparison. If you don't like red brick, it won't be for you, lol.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Wow Fishtacos, that's the info I've been needing right there. Awesome, thanks a lot. You are right about not needing the info on the nice burbs yet. And please try not to marry me off with kids so soon, lol. I need time to explore my new home for now.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,678,767 times
Fishtacos pretty much took care of that.

I live in WP now, so if you have more questions I'll be happy to answer.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 51,721 times
Have lived in Soulard for 4 years. I rented for 2 and own now. Affordable rents for 2 bedroom and off-street are available. I walk to the ball park from Soulard in 20 minutes. Better than a cab, which will cost $10 or more (completely ridiculous compared to Chicago where you can cab dirt cheap). Downtown St Louis is also really coming alive with the "Loft District." Lot more bars and restaurants than a few years ago, but parking hassles and nowhere for fido to pee, plus lot of homeless. Soulard has upwards of 30 liquor licenses meaning about 30 bars/pubs/restaurants of all varieties. A LOT of folks from the CWE or county come to Soulard to sow their wild oats as some of the bars are a little edgy. Having lived in 15 cities in the last 20 years I decided to retire here and they'll have to drag me out by my feet. Soulard is also home to the annual Mardi Gras celebration which occurs the Saturday before Fat Tuesday. Upwards of 500,000 people jam the streets for a day of beer, boobs, brats and beer. Have to see it to believe it. The brewery is also here so if you like the smell of hops and barley it greets you every morning! Main reasons why Soulard is great is you can jump on I-55, I-70, I-64 or I-44 and be out of St Louis in a hurry. Your commute to ScottTrade Offices, even factoring in the I-40/64 work will be under 30 minutes. I could go on for days. For a little more upscale with a little less edge, check out Lafayette Square. Good Luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 51,721 times
Oh by the way...Metrolink expansion to the County just failed the vote so that option is out. If you are house-hunting to Soulard, let me know. I can show you around and hopefully get you put "on scholarship" at several of the local watering holes. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis