Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times

Advertisements

So I was browsing the Memphis forum and noticed that they have a map of neighborhoods based on perceived safety and general desirability, so I decided to make one for St. Louis. This is also a good tool for relocation inquiries about "Is ________ area safe?"

Here's the link:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kd3y77IqDjYg

Dark Green: Very safe; no extra precautions needed
Light Green: Safe, but exercise normal street smarts
Yellow: Tossup. Generally okay, but exercise extra street smarts and it's probably best to avoid after dark.
Orange: Generally unsafe, but okay to visit during the day.
Red: Unsafe; not a good idea to spend much time in, especially after dark.

Remember, this is based on PERCEIVED safety and desirability. It is not a scientific study of crime or survey of public opinion. I based it off of personal experience and recurring patterns of advice. This is also the first draft, so please chime in with recommendations for improvement!

Last edited by Dawn10am; 12-02-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
So I was browsing the Memphis forum and noticed that they have a map of neighborhoods based on perceived safety and general desirability, so I decided to make one for St. Louis. This is also a good tool for relocation inquiries about "Is ________ area safe?"

Here's the link:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kd3y77IqDjYg

Dark Green: Very safe; no extra precautions needed
Light Green: Safe, but exercise normal street smarts
Yellow: Tossup. Generally okay, but exercise extra street smarts and it's probably best to avoid after dark.
Orange: Generally unsafe, but okay to visit during the day.
Red: Unsafe; not a good idea to spend much time in, especially after dark.

Remember, this is based on PERCEIVED safety and desirability. It is not a scientific study of crime or survey of public opinion. I based it off of personal experience and recurring patterns of advice. This is also the first draft, so please chime in with recommendations for improvement!
Thanks for making this map! As a resident of the University Park neighborhood in U City, I feel totally safe walking in my neighborhood at night. I'd continue the dark green color east of Midland to Kingsland and north to Dartmouth. I wouldn't walk around at night (east of Midland) any farther north than Dartmouth. I'd include the little neighborhood enclave of University Heights as well. U Heights is bordered by Pennsylvania on the west, Vernon to the north, Kingsland to the east and Delmar on the south. It's essentially a gated community, especially with the River Des Peres border to the north.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
If you want, I could clean up the topology for you and hand you back a clean KML to upload again (that eliminates the slivers and overlaps.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
If you want, I could clean up the topology for you and hand you back a clean KML to upload again (that eliminates the slivers and overlaps.
I'm assuming I'll have to make quite a few edits based on others' suggestions, but once that's done that would be very helpful.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Looks great so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis