Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh3 View Post
Well I would like to say thank you to everyone's response. We did decide to move to Ballwin after all. We will be moving in May. So excited. If anyone has suggestions for great mexican food there please let me know or any good restaraunts for that matter. We love to eat out. Also do you know anything about that Home Goods store? Do they have good prices?

Agan thanks for all the help.
Congrats! There are two Mexican places we frequent: El Maguey is right at Manchester and Baxter. El Matador is off of Hwy 40/I-64 (Exit Long Road gong west on 40/64) on the "Gumbo Flats." It's in a big shopping area of the flood plain (yes, the flood plain) of the east side of the Missouri River. This area was under many feet of water during the epic flood of '93. Of course it will never flood for another 500 years. Uh-huh...

Other good ethnic restaurants:

India's Kitchen 14222 Manchester Rd, Manchester, MO 63011

and a couple doors west of India's Kitchen:

Monsoon Bistro 14248 Manchester Road
Ballwin, MO 63011

Manee Thai 481 Lafayette Center
Ballwin, MO 63011

That's just the tip of the iceberg for STL. Visit South Grand in South City for a lot of different ethnic choices:
South Grand Restaurants - St. Louis | Urbanspoon

And University City: St. Louis Fine Restaurant Guide - University City

That should get you started. One thing you can't do is starve in this town!!

inahandbasket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM

263 posts, read 529,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh3 View Post
We are moving to Mo. in May and I have been doing alot of research lately on the best place to live. We are thinking of Ballwin, Mo. Does anyone have any comments about Ballwin? Is it a good place to raise kids? How are the people there (friendly)? How about the schools? I have another thread out there about traveling to and from St. Louis. I have gotten some really good ideas from everyone but I thought I would start this to find out about Ballwin.
Cons: Boring, conservative, not much to do, overpriced for what it is, no character.

Pros: Safe, good schools, lots of retail (although 90%+ are chains).

Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Cons: Boring, conservative, not much to do, overpriced for what it is, no character.

Pros: Safe, good schools, lots of retail (although 90%+ are chains).

You forgot one major pro - first STL burb to go Smoke-Free!! (I think, or was it Arnold?). Doesn't matter, given time we will all be enjoying clean, healthy air in bars and restaurants here.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,103 times
I live in upstate NY and my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew live in Ballwin. They made the move because that's where they were offered jobs. I have gone out to visit a handful of times, done the 'tourist' thing, and seen how 'life' there is. My personal opinion is that Ballwin is a top place to be if you're looking for family life. It has all the shopping that a city can offer, great school districts (my sister is a teacher in the Rockford school district), lots of community involvement, recreation activities, and is a short drive to the city if you are looking for the night life. I come from a small town (pop. approx. 4,000) that struggles for growth and does not have alot going on as far as activities, events, etc. so comparing the two is like apples to oranges. The traffic in Ballwin is a bit to take in if you're not used to the volume of vehicles on the road and commute time. I would like to give an additional kudos to the Ballwin Parks & Recreation Department for all the programs they have to help promote a healthy family lifestyle. The Pointe at Ballwin Commons is probably the best recreation center of any communities I've seen. As far as home prices, I think Ballwin is a bit pricy, but you have to consider that this is a fairly new community and the houses are new, large, and beautiful; you can get the same size house around Syracuse, NY for much less than you would get in Ballwin. I've done some searching only in the financial industry market as far as jobs, but it seems like they have a fairly steady job market. If I were to move, Ballwin would definatly be in the top of my list of cities that appeal to me. Hope this helps anyone who is looking to relocate to the area. And if you're new to Ballwin, go see my brother-in-law at The Pointe. He can fill you in on the several community events/activities he plans.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,103 times
El Maguey's is AWESOME mexican food!!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph12 View Post
My personal opinion is that Ballwin is a top place to be if you're looking for family life.
I can agree with that.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,931 times
We are moving to the area as well and were originally considering Wildwood but are now looking at Ballwin. Does anyone have any feedback on Ballwin Elementary, Selvidge Middle and Marquette as well as Chesterfield elementary, Rockwood Valley Middle and Lafayette High?

Are there area to stay away from buying a house in Ballwin?

Also would love to here the Op's thoughts after being in Ballwin for a little while now.

Thanks for any info

Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastC View Post
We are moving to the area as well and were originally considering Wildwood but are now looking at Ballwin. Does anyone have any feedback on Ballwin Elementary, Selvidge Middle and Marquette as well as Chesterfield elementary, Rockwood Valley Middle and Lafayette High?

Are there area to stay away from buying a house in Ballwin?

Also would love to here the Op's thoughts after being in Ballwin for a little while now.

Thanks for any info
Depends on how much you're planning on spending on a house. Gets more expensive in Chesterfield. So I think Ballwin is a little better. I heard more positive feedback from Marquette High School. I personally think it's a little better near Marquette High because you're sandwiched in between both Chesterfield and Ballwin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis