Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 AM

321 posts, read 1,004,557 times

Advertisements

Even though I am yet another one of those "undesirables", I will have to say that Ballwin definitely fits all your desired criteria including the relatively low prices in a good neighborhood. It is too far out west for my personal tastes, but many people love it out there. And it does have good access to the interstates so the commute to just about anywhere should not be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 AM

787 posts, read 1,416,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh3 View Post
We don't mind boring, bland and safe. As long as there is shopping, good schools, low crime rate and things to entertain my kids then I am all set. Am I asking too much? Oh and low prices on houses in a good neighborhood. Okay maybe now I am asking too much.

Our subdivision - Fox Creek Estates - is less than a mile from the new Walmart SuperCenter, Costco (opening tomorrow) and BestBuy. Schnucks is just up 141 and Clayton. There's even some great ethnic, non chain restaurants nearby: Monsoon Vietnamese Bistro, Manee Thai, and India's Kitchen. Pierremont Elementary (Parkway West district) is in the next neighborhood over.

It's everything you want in suburbia. Wish we were ready to sell now... We have a great house!!

You're not asking too much at all. There's just a division of opinion on the board here on a very subjective subject: suburbia vs. city living. Suburbia has worked for us because we wanted our kids in a great school district. Now that our youngest is graduating next academic year we are going to move to University City or Tower Grove South because that's where all of our friends live and both locations are much closer to where we work.

inahandbasket

Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,890,573 times
^^^Agreed about the division of city/suburbia. That division is one I try to avoid when giving advice. Sure I think Ballwin is boring and have no desire to live there, but I'm also 24, unmarried, with no kids. I am sure my tune will change in 10 years when that's different (at least that's what people tell me, we'll see about that!).

For the OP, I really do think you will like Ballwin, as it's safe, the schools are great, and there is plenty of shopping nearby. But I'd also think you would be happy in Chesterfield, Manchester, Town & Country, Des Peres and a number of other west county suburbs. They all have similar amentities, the only difference being some are closer and some are further out. But all have great schools, are safe, and more upscale than most parts of the region. South county is pretty similar, except you can get a bit more house for your money and it has some not-so-upscale parts.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 AM

419 posts, read 1,333,858 times
I will note that I have met my fair share of "undesirables" in West County too... ;-)

I would agree, classic St. Louis debate of city versus county. Most of our friends out here are like us and would prefer a more central location closer to the heart of the city. The pursuit of the combination of reputable public schools and square footage drives a good majority of people out here.

That being said, however, I can still get pretty much anywhere in less than 20 minutes. The commute isn't a big deal. On the morning that 40 opens up, however, you will see me doing cartwheels down the center! December. Can't WAIT!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,522 times
If suburbia is your thing, you will be fine in Ballwin. Anywhere out that way will be nice. Not my cup of tea, but I don't try to pretend that we're all alike. Good luck with everything.

.... oh, and lol @ "undesirables".

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM

787 posts, read 1,416,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh3 View Post
We are moving to Mo. in May and I have been doing alot of research lately on the best place to live. We are thinking of Ballwin, Mo. Does anyone have any comments about Ballwin? Is it a good place to raise kids? How are the people there (friendly)? How about the schools? I have another thread out there about traveling to and from St. Louis. I have gotten some really good ideas from everyone but I thought I would start this to find out about Ballwin.

Another thing to keep in mind about Ballwin: look for property NORTH of Manchester Road and has in/out access in addition to Manchester. Manchester is perpetually clogged with traffic!!! We avoid Manchester as much as possible, especially on Saturday afternoons... Just a heads' up...

inahandbasket

Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 PM

147 posts, read 384,167 times
Bland, boring, cookie-cutter. No sense of community.

There are much better suburbs in the STL area from which to choose.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 PM

147 posts, read 384,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
^^^Agreed about the division of city/suburbia. That division is one I try to avoid when giving advice. Sure I think Ballwin is boring and have no desire to live there, but I'm also 24, unmarried, with no kids. I am sure my tune will change in 10 years when that's different (at least that's what people tell me, we'll see about that!).
I'm basically you in 10 years. I'm 34 and now have a wife and a daughter, but would still never consider Ballwin when there are so many better inner-ring suburbs.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 PM

32 posts, read 61,369 times
I moved out of the city with my parents when I was 14. I'm 28 now, single and living in Ballwin and don't think I'll ever move anywhere else (well unless I move to a different city/country).

Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,018,691 times
if I were 24, 28 (or even 34) I would still be exploring the country instead of settling down in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis