Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

68 posts, read 316,974 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to the Town and Country/Chesterfield area in May end. We have a 4 year old who will be starting kindergarten and it looks like our options are Henry Elementary which is public and free or a private school such as Andrews Academy. Most important to us is the safety and curriculum followed by the racial diversity. Our son is caucasian and east indian so a school with at least some other indian children would be nice. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM

76 posts, read 297,424 times
We live down the street from Henry (my kids don't go there though, they are districted into another elementary). It's a nice school, lots of parental involvement, small classes. It seems to be the preferred school over the one that my children attend but we never switched them as they were happy where they are/were. The principal (Mrs. Potts) is a bit of a micro-manager according to some of my teacher friends and many of my friends that teach in Parkway prefer not to work for her. It seems teachers prefer MY children's school and parent's prefer Henry. Every parent that I know seems to love Henry except one family who pulled their child and put them in Chesterfield Day School.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,220 times
Kanick, we have to meet someday. Ever go to Duffy's?

Henry school is just down the street from me too. I've also never had kids there but know many kids who have mowed my lawn over the years, all who went there and they are all honor students at the colleges they go to, and the nicest, most polite kids you've ever wanted to be around. To me that says alot for the public schools around here (Henry & Parkway West Middle & Senior High). I vote there

Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
Kanick, we have to meet someday. Ever go to Duffy's?

Henry school is just down the street from me too. I've also never had kids there but know many kids who have mowed my lawn over the years, all who went there and they are all honor students at the colleges they go to, and the nicest, most polite kids you've ever wanted to be around. To me that says alot for the public schools around here (Henry & Parkway West Middle & Senior High). I vote there

I don't get to Duffy's much, I prefer ethnic food. I like Manee Thai, Monsoon and I used to go up to Sr. Pique's for margaritas occasionally but haven't tried the new location yet. I'm hoping the new shopping centers (Whole Foods/Target and Walmart/Costco) expands the dining choices in the area. Any word?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanick View Post
I don't get to Duffy's much, I prefer ethnic food. I like Manee Thai, Monsoon and I used to go up to Sr. Pique's for margaritas occasionally but haven't tried the new location yet. I'm hoping the new shopping centers (Whole Foods/Target and Walmart/Costco) expands the dining choices in the area. Any word?
My office is moving into that center (Coldwell Banker Gundaker). There is going to be a Qdoba grill, and another 'brewery' type restaurant. Lester's is moving into the spot where The End Zone is now next to Blockbuster near Baxter on Clayton. My favorite Mexican restaurant is El Nopal in Stonegate Center at Old Hwy. 141 & Big Bend. Great, inexpensive, and huge margaritas.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
My office is moving into that center (Coldwell Banker Gundaker). There is going to be a Qdoba grill, and another 'brewery' type restaurant. Lester's is moving into the spot where The End Zone is now next to Blockbuster near Baxter on Clayton. My favorite Mexican restaurant is El Nopal in Stonegate Center at Old Hwy. 141 & Big Bend. Great, inexpensive, and huge margaritas.
Is Qdoba moving from there current Manchester location or are they going to have two?

NachoMamas is my favorite. It reminds me of the only fond memories I have of Houston, the Tex Mex. Btw, I didn't know the End Zone was out of business, I was just there 3 weeks ago - the Margarita was so bad I asked for a Smiranoff Ice instead and was told they don't carry those products. My friend was unhappy that they only has one choice of white wine so needless to say, I won't miss it.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanick View Post
Is Qdoba moving from there current Manchester location or are they going to have two?

NachoMamas is my favorite. It reminds me of the only fond memories I have of Houston, the Tex Mex. Btw, I didn't know the End Zone was out of business, I was just there 3 weeks ago - the Margarita was so bad I asked for a Smiranoff Ice instead and was told they don't carry those products. My friend was unhappy that they only has one choice of white wine so needless to say, I won't miss it.
I don't know if they are moving or opening another location. I just saw the Qdoba in the paper last week. The End Zone's last day is April 15th. I'm going to miss it. They really have great foood, and the salads are huge.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM

68 posts, read 316,974 times
Hey Kanick
Are there plans in the works for a whole foods in that area?? We currently live in Raleigh, NC and we also love ethnic foods and love whole foods. When I tried a search in STL I only found one whole foods and one trader joes both near the Galleria which is inside 270 and therefore in the midst of the 64/40 mess. Are those really the only ones in the STL area?? I dont think it would be worth it to drive in from Chesterfield to grocery shop?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
There's definitely a Trader Joe's in Chesterfield... on Clarkson maybe?

There will probably be a Whole Foods eventually, but that is the major problem, in my mind, with Chesterfield. They call it West County and you pay for it like it's West County, but it doesn't have any of the amenities of West County.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:59 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,722,150 times
The nearby Dierburg's and Straubs stores might fit your needs most of the time. They are local chains, so you probably aren't familiar with them. Another local chain is Schnuck's. Schnuck's managers often have some control over their food items so some of them have very good ethnic sections, but it varies greatly from store to store. The Hill store has a lot of Italian food, the Frontenac store has a lot of Kosher items, etc. I would bet that the Chesterfield area stores carry some Indian items due to the local demographics.

For true ethnic foods, check out the Asian stores on Olive east of 270, Global Foods on Kirkwood Road in Kirkwood, and Jay International on South Grand in the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis