Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:26 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
oscottscotto,
What area of the city are you located?
Were in CWE for a year ... now we are in a city-burb missing CWE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:14 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
I have traveled pretty much everywhere in the U.S and have never felt some place was drastically different from another. This is an amazing country, and when it comes down to it most places are pretty similar in both a good and bad way. I love travelling and seeing different places, but if I really wanted to experience some place different I would go to a foreign country. Which is another thing I like about St. Louis, at 24 I can afford to do so. Heck, I would have been in Mexico last week had it not been for that dang "hurricane". That's not to take away from people who enjoy going from place to place, and I definitely see the value in that, but I personally would rather see all corners of the globe, hopefully before I'm 30. That's definitely easier when you stay put and build a stable career and savings. Neither way is better, but I am saying just because someone stays in the same area, that doesn't mean they live some boring, repetitive lifestyle. I think we can all agree that diversity of experiences is a good thing.

Sorry to OP, I hope you found the info on Ballwin, and our side discussion, somewhat helpful

Old 11-18-2009, 03:02 AM

69 posts, read 184,354 times
ballwin has a buffalo wild wings... I think that's the only thing to do in ballwin =P

but yes for good place to raise kids... but you'd probably safe with that in most of west county stl

Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh3 View Post
We are moving to Mo. in May and I have been doing alot of research lately on the best place to live. We are thinking of Ballwin, Mo. Does anyone have any comments about Ballwin? Is it a good place to raise kids? How are the people there (friendly)? How about the schools? I have another thread out there about traveling to and from St. Louis. I have gotten some really good ideas from everyone but I thought I would start this to find out about Ballwin.
We lived in Ballwin for 16 years and would still be there if not for a work transfer. I did not find it boring or bland. I have to agree with some other posts here about Manchester road, though. The weekends are when to avoid Manchester, other than having to cross it. There is plenty of shopping, dining, Castlewood State Park is nearby, and the city services are excellent. We lived on a cul-de-sac south of Manchester off New Ballwin road and had the best neighbors that you could imagine, in fact, we are still good friends with all of them and we still visit back and forth after not living there for 5 years. We had no children but lived in the Parkway district, which is supposed to be one of the best in the state for public schools. We were members of Holy Infant Catholic church which also has an excellent school. Also, Ballwin is only roughly an hour away from some fantastic rivers with plenty of canoeing, rafting and camping.

You will have to visit and see for yourself but I would highly recommend Ballwin.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
I grew up in Ballwin. I wouldn't call it bland. Its rather diverse in housing options and schools between the 2 public schools and the private schools. As far as Manchester Rd goes.. Its congested, but there are other east-west routes you can take if you want to avoid it. As far as places to eat, there are plenty of chains AND non-chains.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM

16 posts, read 52,135 times
Thank you for all your great responses. I am glad to hear such good things about Ballwin. I think it was rated the #1 place to live a few years ago. We are still looking into other places but Ballwin sounds good to us.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM

16 posts, read 52,135 times
Does anyone know if there is emission testing in MO? I heard there is in IL.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:41 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
Yes, well, there was when we lived there. And it was a hefty charge, if I remember correctly.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM

32 posts, read 61,338 times
This should help: Vehicle Emissions Testing in Missouri | MVDL

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 AM

76 posts, read 297,402 times
I live a block away from Ballwin in the city of Manchester (same school district). I love our neighborhood (pool and lake etc). I have 3 kids and would rather live closer in but find this area much more affordable. It's a great place for my kids but like others in this thread, I'm a proud "undesirable" who will be moving closer in when my kids are out of school.

If you aren't rich just keep in mind that once your kids hit middle school, they will be going to school with some very wealthy/spoiled kids and your children may occasionally complain about their poverty because they don't live in a starter castle and get a new iPod/laptop/cell phone/xbox the very day a new model comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis