Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

You do have to remember that the city is a very small portion of the actual metro.

I'm still dumbfounded about the negativity St. Louisans have toward their city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM

13 posts, read 43,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb123 View Post
I am moving to St. Louis City from St. Louis County for a job in the next few months. We've been looking at a few different areas in the City, and are keeping our fingers crossed that our son gets selected in the lottery for the Gifted Magnet school in the City. We want to stay within 10-15 driving minutes from the school which is off of South Kingshighway. Our number one concern is finding a safe, kid/family-friendly neighborhood. Our second consideration is finding a house big enough in our price range, around $200k. We currently have a large ranch with big bedrooms. Similar homes in the City seem to be around $300-400k! We like the historic charm and beauty of the Tower Grove/Shaw homes, but are not thrilled with the neighborhood--lots of rentals and not so good crime reports. St. Louis Hills would be great, but they are very expensive for the size we need. Lindenwood Park seems to be the best option so far, but any other ideas on neighborhoods that would have a fenced in yard, 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 2 baths, safety, charm and that other good stuff? Also, my husband works in Northwest county and I work downtown. Holly Hills is too far South. Thanks!
Actually, the Tower Grove area between Morgan Ford and Grand, and Arsenal and Fairview are nice and safe. I live there and feel very safe.

If I had to live somewhere else, it would probably be North Hampton or South Hampton, as they are very nice too.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,204 times
I live in the city, and more specifically in The Hill. It's very very very quiet, and generally pretty nice. I agree that the streets are narrow and I have had my car get hit. Being so squished in is my main complaint about the neighborhood, but that's simply because I don't have a garage. The shops and restaurants are great, and we will walk to lunch or dinner often. I wish the parks were a little bit prettier, as Berra Park is more of a field, and Sublette doesn't have the charm of Tilles or Tower Grove. Most of the kids seem to go to Catholic School and you will find that most people who live here are religious. There's a good mix of retirees and families, but it's not a fun place if you're just starting out and without children. And to everyone who says the city is "sooo dangerous", it's really not that bad. The Hill especially, is very safe!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:10 PM

13 posts, read 57,374 times
Reposted -wrong link.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM

13 posts, read 57,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketdoggy View Post
And to everyone who says the city is "sooo dangerous", it's really not that bad. The Hill especially, is very safe!
I agree with sixtwobaldguy - and if you want confirmation, call your insurance agent. Your auto and home insurance is insanely high on the Hill 63110 compared to Ballwin, 63011 or Chesterfield, 63117 just to name a few.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 17,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick View Post
Wow, born in St. Louis over 40 years ago.....seen you made #1 in Crime since I have been traveling the world....Way to go!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Hick is a good name for you
Oh hell no hahahahahahahhhahhahahha!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,344 times
But seriously I'd recommend Tower Grove or TG East or Benton Park if you like old stuff and neighborhoods how they were meant to be and houses that were built by skilled craftsmen. Soulard or CWE if you can afford it.

Also, I must be living a charmed life because I've stumbled all over STL city, NYC, Chicago, LA and New Orleans half-wasted often alone at night consorting with questionable people and never had a problem (or a car).

Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Hick; living in Alabama is not traveling the world. I still have all of my teeth, so I win.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeharveyawesome View Post
But seriously I'd recommend Tower Grove or TG East or Benton Park if you like old stuff and neighborhoods how they were meant to be and houses that were built by skilled craftsmen. Soulard or CWE if you can afford it.

Also, I must be living a charmed life because I've stumbled all over STL city, NYC, Chicago, LA and New Orleans half-wasted often alone at night consorting with questionable people and never had a problem (or a car).

I lived in Benton Park, and never had any troubles, even though I was right near Jefferson/Gravois.... beautiful housing, and affordable, too!!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
I would strongly recommend neighborhoods on the west side of Hampton with a few exceptions. One exception being The Hill. Having grown up and attented school on The Hill I can honestly say it is kid friendly, safe place to live. I hope your child gets accepted to the school of your choice. I dont mean to offend anyone but St.Louis City Public Schools suck. St.Ambrose is indeed a great school but its not cheap. I live in Kirkwood now and absolutely love it. It is safe, close to highways, beautiful homes...I dont have children but I hear the Kirkwood school district is great and FREE. Webster Groves is very comparable to Kirkwood. Sorry for my spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis