Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 19,812 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad this thread was posted, b/c I was getting ready to post a similar thread. Can anyone tell me what The Hill and what Dogtown are like to live in ?? Are they noisy? Is there a lot of traffic? Are they really busy on the weekends or on the evenings? I'm coming from West County and wanting to move in to the city, closer to everything, but not only am I a little nervous about not knowing my way around and getting lost in bad area, but I also have no idea what life is like in the city. I'm used to being pretty isolated...is it different in the city? I know I probably sound ridiculous and so naive, but I need some help from some people with experience!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
First of all i think it's great that you are considering a move to the city, and I think you'll find it a welcome change. Honestly the Hill and Dogtown are great areas for a first time city dweller. They are very residential and safe, but a little more densely packed. You will know your neighbors, be walking distance to some shops or restaurants. The nice thing about both neighborhoods, unlike the Central West End, is that it's harder to accidentally end up in a bad neighborhood- you have a bit more elbow room in that respect.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
There is not a lot of traffic in either neighborhood. They are very quiet areas (except for a few times a year): St. Pat's day for Dogtown, and the bike race for the Hill. There are a few bars and restaurants, but they do not stay open very late. On Sunday, most places aren't even open on the Hill.

Probably the only frustrating thing you will notice is that the streets are very narrow. You can always tell someone who lives elsewhere by their large cars and fear of driving down a street when they see an oncoming car. There is usually room for two cars, but if you aren't used to the tight squeeze it can be a little unnerving. Don't even think of driving a Hummer.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 19,812 times
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the input! I really need all the help I can get

Old 01-26-2008, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 655,822 times
I would advise against anything in the city limits. My friend moved to the Hill and his car was stolen inside of 6 months. I have another friend by Forest Park and she'd had several items stolen and one break in within a year. Basically, the city of st. louis is cheap because almost no one is willing to live there. A lot of couples I've knwon tried to move there but all of them have either moved out r are try to within a few years. It barely has 300,000 people left.

On the other hand, most of West County is quite nice. I have friends who live in Chesterfield, Town & Country, & other towns to the west of the city limits who have zero problems. Crime is almost unheard of to the west of the city limits as far as I can tell.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
I would advise against anything in the city limits. My friend moved to the Hill and his car was stolen inside of 6 months. I have another friend by Forest Park and she'd had several items stolen and one break in within a year. Basically, the city of st. louis is cheap because almost no one is willing to live there. A lot of couples I've knwon tried to move there but all of them have either moved out r are try to within a few years. It barely has 300,000 people left.

On the other hand, most of West County is quite nice. I have friends who live in Chesterfield, Town & Country, & other towns to the west of the city limits who have zero problems. Crime is almost unheard of to the west of the city limits as far as I can tell.
Safe to say I and many others would disagree with this post.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Hmmm.. Strange. Seems like at least 300,000 people are included in that "no one wants to live there".

My Dad had his house broken into when he was a kid in St. Louis, but that was the only problem they had in St. Louis all those years as far as I know. My Mom lived 6 months in East St. Louis as a baby and never had any problem.

I'm not saying your friends didn't have crime against them, but I'd say most cities the size of St. Louis would have crime similar to that. I'd think if somebody really wants to live in a city, any city, they'd have to learn to get used to small, usually non-violent crimes.

From what I understand, most of the city is great. As in any city, use common sense. Keep your valuables out of site and know where you are. That's the case in any city.

New condos are being built in the city and houses are being rehabbed. People are moving in because they don't want to live there? Wow. That logic makes sense.

Here's 20 reported thefts under $300 in Chicago from 8:40 p.m. Jan 12 to Jan. 13 at 4:30 a.m.
Theft / Theft: $300 and under | chicagocrime.org
Every city has crime.

How about drug crimes in Chicago?
Narcotics / Possession: Heroin (white) | chicagocrime.org
Narcotics | chicagocrime.org

Obviously, Chicago is quite a bit larger than St. Louis, but my point is that you will find crimes in any decent-sized cities. If you really want to live in a city, you deal with it and take precautions.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-26-2008 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 05:13 PM

80 posts, read 221,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
It barely has 300,000 people left.
So I guess actually checking the facts was too much work, huh? The census bureau counted St. Louis as having 353,837 people as of 2006. That's a far cry from "barely has 300,000".

2006 Estimates Challenges (http://www.census.gov/popest/archives/2000s/vintage_2006/06s_challenges.html - broken link)

Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I read a STL review one time. This girl was talking about how dangerous the city is and how nobody should live there and stuff like that.

Then you check her profile and realize she lives in Wentzville.

I thought it was funny.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 53,837 times
there are some properties around there that you may like. If you are interested i can send you some of them and you can see for yourself. Hopefully i can be of some assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb123 View Post
I am moving to St. Louis City from St. Louis County for a job in the next few months. We've been looking at a few different areas in the City, and are keeping our fingers crossed that our son gets selected in the lottery for the Gifted Magnet school in the City. We want to stay within 10-15 driving minutes from the school which is off of South Kingshighway. Our number one concern is finding a safe, kid/family-friendly neighborhood. Our second consideration is finding a house big enough in our price range, around $200k. We currently have a large ranch with big bedrooms. Similar homes in the City seem to be around $300-400k! We like the historic charm and beauty of the Tower Grove/Shaw homes, but are not thrilled with the neighborhood--lots of rentals and not so good crime reports. St. Louis Hills would be great, but they are very expensive for the size we need. Lindenwood Park seems to be the best option so far, but any other ideas on neighborhoods that would have a fenced in yard, 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 2 baths, safety, charm and that other good stuff? Also, my husband works in Northwest county and I work downtown. Holly Hills is too far South. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis