Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,700 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to the St Louis area from DC. I will be working near the airport, and St. Charles County looks the most promising at the moment. However I am concerned about the crime rates and public schools in St. Charles County. My wife also does home childcare so we want to make sure we won't be too far out in the country so she can get business. Any advice?

Last edited by Vatonyjmu; 07-03-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM

210 posts, read 412,278 times
My advice is: don't move to St. Louis.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Crime Rates in St. Charles? For the most part, i wouldn't worry to much about it...It's a suburb of St. Louis, but is pretty far removed from most violent crime. There are some pockets in St. Charles county that are "low-rent" but the vast majority (South of 364, West of 94) are fine.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatonyjmu View Post
Hi, I am moving to the St Louis area from DC. I will be working near the airport, and St. Charles County looks the most promising at the moment. However I am concerned about the crime rates and public schools in St. Charles County. My wife also does home childcare so we want to make sure we won't be too far out in the country so she can get business. Any advice?
I don't know what data you are looking at but people generally move to St. Charles County from more urban parts of the St. Louis metro area because of the relatively low crime rates and relatively cheap housing prices and relatively good school districts. It's been the fastest growing part of the St. Louis metro area for several decades now for these reasons.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
Hi am considering a move to st Louis after living in Alexandria va for 30 yrs and would be interested in your opinion of the area after your move. My regular email is nealjscott@gmail.com. thanks and good luck with everything. I have family there and they love it.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 PM

320 posts, read 611,006 times
Best part of SC county is north of Booneslick and east of Duchesne i.e the old city of St. Charles. Just avoid Powell Terrace and the north part of the city by 370. The county blows...hard.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,700 times
which county blows hard?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM

320 posts, read 611,006 times
St Charles. It is extremely sprawly...you pretty much HAVE to get in your car to do even the most basic, mundane stuff, and it will take you a very long time to get from your home to your destination. It literally is a bunch of subdivisions with no thought or deliberate planning in how the streets connect, and public amenities are very weak. That translates to you will be required to own two cars, and you will drive them both a lot, hence any money you save on the house will be spent on gas, more frequent replacement of your car, and a massive time suck out of your life. Taking a pleasant walk to the corner ice cream store, or tavern, or coffee house, neighborhood restaurant, etc, really isn't an option unless 4 miles each way with no tree cover and cars speeding by at 55 mph is your idea of a nice walk. Since there aren't any town centers of any size besides St. Charles (in SC County), there will be virtually nothing useful in your neighborhood. Just vinyl box houses, collector roads, and cul de sacs, and strip malls on the collector roads. Bryan Road in O Fallon is pretty brain meltingly awful during anything resembling rush hour since there are very few alternative routes to get to many of the single-entrance subdivisions that shoot off from it. And NIMBYism runs rampant, so any effort to make things more navigable or town like will be fought against tooth and nail by the manicured zoysia grass crowd. STL county is somewhat better, but still extremely car centric, however due to its patchwork of 90 municipalities that don't really work together, WHICH of those 90 you end up in can have a big impact on quality of life. Stick to the town towns. Webster, Saint Charles, Saint Louis, Clayton, U City, R Heights, Maplewood, Kirkwood. West of 170, the only really good places to live are KWood and old town St. Charles. Each of the towns has advantages and disadvantages, but in all of the above cases vastly more advantages than disadvantages.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM

215 posts, read 712,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
St Charles. It is extremely sprawly...you pretty much HAVE to get in your car to do even the most basic, mundane stuff, and it will take you a very long time to get from your home to your destination. It literally is a bunch of subdivisions with no thought or deliberate planning in how the streets connect, and public amenities are very weak. That translates to you will be required to own two cars, and you will drive them both a lot, hence any money you save on the house will be spent on gas, more frequent replacement of your car, and a massive time suck out of your life. Taking a pleasant walk to the corner ice cream store, or tavern, or coffee house, neighborhood restaurant, etc, really isn't an option unless 4 miles each way with no tree cover and cars speeding by at 55 mph is your idea of a nice walk. Since there aren't any town centers of any size besides St. Charles (in SC County), there will be virtually nothing useful in your neighborhood. Just vinyl box houses, collector roads, and cul de sacs, and strip malls on the collector roads. Bryan Road in O Fallon is pretty brain meltingly awful during anything resembling rush hour since there are very few alternative routes to get to many of the single-entrance subdivisions that shoot off from it. And NIMBYism runs rampant, so any effort to make things more navigable or town like will be fought against tooth and nail by the manicured zoysia grass crowd. STL county is somewhat better, but still extremely car centric, however due to its patchwork of 90 municipalities that don't really work together, WHICH of those 90 you end up in can have a big impact on quality of life. Stick to the town towns. Webster, Saint Charles, Saint Louis, Clayton, U City, R Heights, Maplewood, Kirkwood. West of 170, the only really good places to live are KWood and old town St. Charles. Each of the towns has advantages and disadvantages, but in all of the above cases vastly more advantages than disadvantages.
I agree with a lot of things you mention here about St. Charles, at least as my memory serves. I haven't actually been there in a few years. Are you an urban or city planner? Some of the language you use sounds like things I've read in a couple different books regarding sprawl.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM

135 posts, read 280,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
Stick to the town towns. Webster, Saint Charles, Saint Louis, Clayton, U City, R Heights, Maplewood, Kirkwood. West of 170, the only really good places to live are KWood and old town St. Charles. Each of the towns has advantages and disadvantages, but in all of the above cases vastly more advantages than disadvantages.
I second these suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis