Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,753,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeday View Post
This thread is ridiculous, and reflects the attitudes of most waspy St. Louisans. I did not grow up here, but recently moved here and was very ubpleasantly surprised by the lack of culture and blatant segregation.

Example: In NYC and Chicago, public transportation is for everyone. In St. Louis, the middle and upper class wouldn't be caught dead on the Metrolink. So strange.
(1) NYC and Chicago are both much larger than St. Louis, so the comparison of public transportation networks isn't really fair. Metro gets NO money from the state of Missouri, so we have to pay for that ourselves.

(2) I am a part of the white middle class and I ride the MetroLink regularly and see many other white middle class people on there with me, especially at the rush hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,397,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefuscia View Post
Ballwin Named the 9th Safest City in America

Ballwin named 9th safest city in America. So what's the cause for concern again?
The concern is from 20 somethings that think they have it all figured out and their biggest concern is how "cool" a neighborhood is. Nothing new. They'll eventually outgrow it.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,930,097 times
Quote:
Ballwin Named the 9th Safest City in America

Ballwin named 9th safest city in America. So what's the cause for concern again?
There is more to a neighborhood than safety. If someone can live in a walkable interesting neighborhood that may not be as safe as Ballwin, but still feel relatively comfortable with the prospect of the neighborhood improving, people will live there over places like Ballwin.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,930,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
The concern is from 20 somethings that think they have it all figured out and their biggest concern is how "cool" a neighborhood is. Nothing new. They'll eventually outgrow it.
Some may outgrow it, others won't. But the ones that don't outgrow it will continue to improve the neighborhood in which they live, attracting more people. It's a snowball effect.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,030,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Well the years of robbing Peter to pay Paul may be catching up to a lot of STL County munis.
Good thing the city of St Louis is above this kind of thing:

St. Louis opens checkbook to keep employers downtown : Business

Lewis Rice received tax breaks to move about one block. I like that forgivable loan if they stay downtown for 5 years: that's a bribe, errr, I mean a gift.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,030,767 times
Quote:
There is more to a neighborhood than safety. If someone can live in a walkable interesting neighborhood that may not be as safe as Ballwin, but still feel relatively comfortable with the prospect of the neighborhood improving, people will live there over places like Ballwin.
Some people will, some people won't. Some people prefer suburban areas, some don't. While Ballwin isn't necessarily my preferred cup of tea either, you drive back in most of those subdivisions off of Manchester and you are going to see, what exactly - life. Family life - kids riding bikes, backyard barbeques, some really nice parks full of people, baseball, swim meets, block parties, pool parties, etc. It may not be as diverse as you might prefer and it may not be walkable in the sense that there is a bar or coffee shop on every corner - but it is still full of life. Maybe not your ideal - but perhaps it's pretty close for a lot of others. And yeah - safety and decent schools still mean a lot to people - people with kids.

According to the census data, including the most recent estimates, we still aren't seeing a massive inflow of people leaving the suburbs for the city.

I keep hearing about this, but we aren't seeing it yet. Will we ever?

Is safety everything - probably not, but if you have kids, it's pretty damn high on the list, at least for most people, hand in hand with schools.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:22 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,753,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Good thing the city of St Louis is above this kind of thing:

St. Louis opens checkbook to keep employers downtown : Business

Lewis Rice received tax breaks to move about one block. I like that forgivable loan if they stay downtown for 5 years: that's a bribe, errr, I mean a gift.
I think the City doing this is slightly different from suburb poaching from suburb. Downtown is the traditional centerpoint and anchor of this metropolitan area and it needs to be strong for that reason. Downtown is on a different footing from the suburbs stealing Wal-Marts from each other. It's sad that the City has to bribe companies to stay downtown, but it's even more sad that so many companies have wantonly abandoned it.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 AM

58 posts, read 134,977 times
Quote:
Oh I completely agree, I was just referring to the original post. "Scores of African-Americans moving in from the hood. City going down the crappers." I wasn't looking to defend Ballwin's hipness. I guess the thread got away from that.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,992,772 times
Quote:
Oh I completely agree, I was just referring to the original post. "Scores of African-Americans moving in from the hood. City going down the crappers." I wasn't looking to defend Ballwin's hipness. I guess the thread got away from that.
Ballwin is a magnet for African Americans? My have things changed.

I'm an African American who would never consider Ballwin. We do have some friends of our family who live in Ballwin are African American but their incomes are much higher than the average income for the area. They don't commit crimes and don't represent the age, income and education level of African Americans or White Americans who commit crime. Their White American neighbors over all have been very friendly towards them and they've been happy for the past 15 years with the area.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,030,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
So I logged in after a couple of months and reading that Crestwood Mall took a nose dive. Jamestown Mall seems to be the next in line as Macy's is shutting down it's doors. Northwest Plaza already went to crappers.

What the heck is going on?
Been around St. Louis for the last 15 years? All of this could have been predicted years ago, and was occurring in some shape or form for more than 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis