Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 PM

446 posts, read 485,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
It all went down hill when the city razed the old part in front of Ballwin Elementary and put up that strip mall.
lol hahaha ... that's what I thought as well.
They spent all that money constructing the mall and the city went down the crappers.
I liked to get in and out of the old Walmart plaza better than this new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,208 times
I used to live in this area, I was one of few whites in the apartment complex, but it was quite a few years ago before this strip mall and this so-called decline. Interesting to see how things change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
But I guess it is ok for the other minorities to segregate themselves. White people are darn well not the only ones who segregate themselves at all.

There is a special place in H*** for bigots of all kinds, like you acted like with your post.
AMEN!

And I agree, not only whites want to segregate, I can't believe the ignorance. I used to work with a lot of african-americans who wouldn't give me the time of day because my skin color. But I guess that's cool, huh? And some of them were great to me, and I'm not stupid enough to blame a whole race of people based on the actions of a few, or avoid other races either.

Yeah, this thread is sad. But I loved living there just the same. I'd go back in a heartbeat, if given the chance. I only left because I married into the military. If not I would still be there today.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 AM

446 posts, read 485,811 times
So a few years down the road, this area will become another "East St. Louis" but will be called "West St. Louis"?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,866,719 times
I used to work in St. Louis with a woman who grew up in Ballwin who would tell people she was from Chesterfield. More cachet, I suppose.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,640 times
I'm an African American female who can afford a brand new villa in Manchester but hesitate because of the racists remarks made on this site. Would I not be welcomed there?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

40 posts, read 86,010 times
I live in Ballwin and don't feel the comments on here represent the area at all. It has excellent schools and parks. It may not have the prestige of Chesterfield, but it is more affordable. In recent years it has become more diverse with more middle eastern and asian families moving in. A lot of retail and restaurants have opened in the area in the last few years. I would encourage people relocating to St. Louis to check it out. We have been very happy there for the last 14 years.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,603,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
Please don't interpret the thread that way.
Currently I live in New York City which is perhaps one of the world's most diversified cities. I have no problem with race, color, religion, gender, or ethnicity and I am all for diversity BUT if the diversity brings increased crime rate, unsafe neighborhoods for my kids and decreased value in my assets then you can keep it.

Back in 2009, Ballwin featured in money magazine's top 100 cities to live in USA, and now it's no where near to that list. Being a Ballwin resident I think I do have a right to be curious and find out how did it happen and what can be done to resurrect it to a point where I get the sense of assurance of raising my kids in a safe and pleasant environment.
Frankly, I'm offended by your comments about race.

Ballwin is a great family community. It hasn't changed much in 4 years since the 2009 rankings. It's not going down hill.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM

711 posts, read 2,110,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Wallace View Post
I'm an African American female who can afford a brand new villa in Manchester but hesitate because of the racists remarks made on this site. Would I not be welcomed there?
Considering there are more Indians and Asians in the Manchester Wal Mart than white people, I highly doubt it. You aren't going to find any real racism anywhere in the St Louis area...save for parts s of south county perhaps.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM

135 posts, read 280,759 times
This thread is embarrassing.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 10,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
But I guess it is ok for the other minorities to segregate themselves. White people are darn well not the only ones who segregate themselves at all.

There is a special place in H*** for bigots of all kinds, like you acted like with your post.

I am no where near close to being a bigot. I am interracially married and have a very wide variety of friends from all over the globe, hardly the definition of a bigot.

And you do realize that minorities aren't "segregated" by choice, right???? Most times they are told to stay in their place and "given" a not so good area to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis