Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 10:38 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,460,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I think 5 sets is too long. I love watching but can't devote 5 or 6 hours to watch a sporting event. That said it feel the lady's 3 setters are too short, especially if it only goes to 2.

Maybe first to 3 but if it goes to 2-2 then play a 10 pt tiebreaker. Require M and W to do the same since they are earning the same money.
Like I said earlier, the thing that drags tennis matches on for too long is due to the AD score system where it requires a player to have two points above their opponent in order earn a game point. Doubles matches don't have that, so if the score is 40-40, it's sudden death and the next one to score earns the game point. Even 3 set matches can last well over three hours due to the AD scoring because some games last way too long because takes forever for a player to score again when they have the AD point. And this is especially true when two players are at similar levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 07:40 AM

1,741 posts, read 827,047 times
As a player Ilike the AD system but it does drag it out. We did a 2 AD format in a club event and that seemed like a good compromise.

Given the reduced attention span of the newer generations, it would be interesting to see the reaction of changing the scoring.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:19 AM

392 posts, read 320,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Like I said earlier, the thing that drags tennis matches on for too long is due to the AD score system where it requires a player to have two points above their opponent in order earn a game point. Doubles matches don't have that, so if the score is 40-40, it's sudden death and the next one to score earns the game point. Even 3 set matches can last well over three hours due to the AD scoring because some games last way too long because takes forever for a player to score again when they have the AD point. And this is especially true when two players are at similar levels.

+1 for No ADs!!

Old 02-06-2022, 11:21 AM

3,542 posts, read 1,460,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post

+1 for No ADs!!

But don't get me wrong, I do like the fact that you need to have two points above your opponent to win the set. I think that's a fair rule since it requires a player to win a break point in order to win a set. So I understand the concept behind that. But this AD scoring just makes no sense and just drags on games to a point where sometimes I feel like it's never going to end.

But sometimes I think they make these silly rules on purpose so it does drag on games and build up suspense. Like in baseball, a foul hit is considered a strike except when it's your third strike. So sometimes in baseball, when a batter has 3 balls and 2 strikes, the game drags on when the batter is constantly hitting foul balls. It's like, come on, can this end already?? And is basketball when there's 10 seconds on the clock left, those 10 seconds take forever because players foul on purpose to stop the clock. Very annoying!

Old 02-07-2022, 04:16 AM

10,999 posts, read 4,447,030 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNhQ2FI1WQ&t=482s

Old 02-07-2022, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
That sounds like a great idea, a Super Tiebreak after 4 sets.
This is similar to what they did in Doubles on the main tour, to make it more interesting and watchable again.
Tennis is a very traditional game, but changes need to be made to get new fans involved.
But why does tennis need new fans?
The all-time US Open record for attendance was 2019, and tennis is known for being bigger in Europe than in the US.
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/nada...endance-record

So if its bigger than ever in the US, then its on the right track, and by eliminating the 5th Set you'll definitely lose a lot of tennis fans who will see the sport become much weaker and less athletic as a result.
The players with poor stamina would suddenly start beating the Nadal or Djokovic level players.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The all-time US Open record for attendance was 2019, and tennis is known for being bigger in Europe than in the US.

So if its bigger than ever in the US, then its on the right track, and by eliminating the 5th Set you'll definitely lose a lot of tennis fans who will see the sport become much weaker and less athletic as a result.
The players with poor stamina would suddenly start beating the Nadal or Djokovic level players.
The 5th set is only in the majors and only for the men. The rest of the time it is best of 3.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
The 5th set is only in the majors and only for the men. The rest of the time it is best of 3.
Yeah I know, I've been following tennis since the 80s.
If they do shorten the format of slam matches, whoever wins 20 or 25 slams in future won't actually be taken seriously anyway, because there will always the argument "Nadal-Djokovic-Federer won their slams with best-of-5-sets, so you'll never be as great as them...."

Old 02-07-2022, 11:20 AM

Interesting stat from the AO.

25 5 set matches

The player that would have won a 3 setter ended up losing 13 and winning 12 including the finals where RN lost the first 2 sets.

Maybe a conditioning variable.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:11 PM

3,817 posts, read 3,029,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post

It’s a tough gig.
But as we saw from that 26-24 Wimbledon semifinal, between Isner and Anderson, sometimes change is needed. (Wimbledon changed the 5th set rules after that)
Djokovic obviously benefited in the final that year, as the other semifinalist was too spent for the final.
A Super Tiebreaker in the 5th set seems like a good compromise.
Fans still want to see players playing their best tennis, with some stamina and “war of attrition “ involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports