Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 04:25 AM

11,087 posts, read 4,501,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Ok if we must keep best of 5, then why don’t they extend the female matches to be best of 5 on grand slams?? Are we insinuating that women aren’t strong and fit enough to play for a longer amount of time like men are??
Firstly the female tennis players need to campaign for best-of-5-sets, and I haven't heard them campaign for it at all. So that's where it will need to begin, an insistence by the players. And then we'll trial it in an event, as we did in 1996-
Quote:
Teenager Martina Hingis fought off exhaustion, leg cramps and a few nasty drop shots to live a dream today at Madison Square Garden: She pushed Steffi Graf to a fifth set in the final of the Chase Championships, the season-ending tournament on the WTA Tour. The triumph was short-lived. Hingis's sore body refused to allow her to finish the fantasy.

After battling through a difficult fourth set to take Graf to the limit, Hingis had nothing left to throw at Graf, who continued her dominance of women's tennis with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-0, 4-6, 6-0 victory.

The world's No. 1-ranked player, Graf won the WTA Tour's season-ending title for the second consecutive season and for the fifth time in her career. She finished this season with a 54-4 record and seven titles, including victories in three of the four Grand Slam events (Graf skipped the Australian Open with an injury).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-0a88f0159f7e/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 10:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 1,504,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Firstly the female tennis players need to campaign for best-of-5-sets, and I haven't heard them campaign for it at all. So that's where it will need to begin, an insistence by the players. And then we'll trial it in an event, as we did in 1996-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-0a88f0159f7e/
I don't think ANY tennis player, male or female, would campaign for it. It's just too physically taxing on the players. But if it's what fans want, then let's do it!

Old 02-02-2022, 07:06 AM

Old 02-02-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I don't think ANY tennis player, male or female, would campaign for it. It's just too physically taxing on the players. But if it's what fans want, then let's do it!
I've yet to see any evidence that its too taxing on the players.
Even the qualifiers are able to play it, and a lot of them rarely qualify for the slams, so they've hardly had any experience at that level and still you see them win 5-setters.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I've yet to see any evidence that its too taxing on the players.
Even the qualifiers are able to play it, and a lot of them rarely qualify for the slams, so they've hardly had any experience at that level and still you see them win 5-setters.

I know that Halep's match against Cornet was pretty brutal on her, to the point where she felt sick and dizzy. If she felt that way from a 3 set match, can you imagine how she would've felt after 5 sets? But then again, maybe men are more capable of playing 5 sets than women are, but I have yet to see any evidence of that. In fact, I do believe many women can be physically stronger and fitter than men!

https://www.tennis365.com/australian...stralian-open/

Old 02-02-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I know that Halep's match against Cornet was pretty brutal on her, to the point where she felt sick and dizzy. If she felt that way from a 3 set match, can you imagine how she would've felt after 5 sets? But then again, maybe men are more capable of playing 5 sets than women are, but I have yet to see any evidence of that. In fact, I do believe many women can be physically stronger and fitter than men!

https://www.tennis365.com/australian...stralian-open/
Yeah women just have to train for best-of-5-sets and simulate it in practice. But I don't hear anyone advocating for women to play best-of-5-sets so I'm certain it will never happen.
You hear more people advocating for men to play best-of-3-sets..... Djokovic has said he supports best-of-3-sets at slams (while Nadal doesn't support it), but even that is unlikely in the near future.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:10 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,349,204 times
The women’s final peaked at 4.3 million. Everyone I know watched it, Ash Barty is such a popular player here.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
The women’s final peaked at 4.3 million. Everyone I know watched it, Ash Barty is such a popular player here.
Well, she's an Australian that won the Australian Open. It was a great day for Australia!

Old 02-04-2022, 09:14 PM

1,749 posts, read 836,109 times
I think 5 sets is too long. I love watching but can't devote 5 or 6 hours to watch a sporting event. That said it feel the lady's 3 setters are too short, especially if it only goes to 2.

Maybe first to 3 but if it goes to 2-2 then play a 10 pt tiebreaker. Require M and W to do the same since they are earning the same money.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:56 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,056,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I think 5 sets is too long. I love watching but can't devote 5 or 6 hours to watch a sporting event. That said it feel the lady's 3 setters are too short, especially if it only goes to 2.

Maybe first to 3 but if it goes to 2-2 then play a 10 pt tiebreaker. Require M and W to do the same since they are earning the same money.
That sounds like a great idea, a Super Tiebreak after 4 sets.
This is similar to what they did in Doubles on the main tour, to make it more interesting and watchable again.
Tennis is a very traditional game, but changes need to be made to get new fans involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports