Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 02:17 AM

10,118 posts, read 5,838,266 times

Advertisements

I hereby regret ignoring he inaugural season of Major League Cricket here in the USA. I figured, "it's pro cricket in America, how serious can it be?" I thought they'd scoop up the top talent from the Minor League that's been active for a couple years, disperse the top talent from USA cricket around to the various teams, and it would be a modesty glorified version of the Minor League Cricket.

I was wrong. There's serious money invested in getting this league off the ground.

For starters, at least 3 of the original 6 inaugural teams wear their IPL backing on their sleeves (MI New York, Texas Super Kings, and Los Angeles Knight Riders). For another, they brought in some serious star power from overseas. Some are over-the-hill players who can't compete at the top level any more... but some are still quite fresh and relevant. The MLC roster includes, just to name a few: Sanil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Faf du Pllessis, Quentin de Ko¢k, Dwayne Bravo, Rashid Kahn, Trent Boult, Adam Zampa, Jason Roy, Andre Russell, Marcus Stoinis, Jason Roy, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Dewald Brevis, Adam Milne...

I'm still skeptical about a viable "Major League Cricket" in the USA but I'm pleased to see it's not a half-baked thought and there's some real money backing the effort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 06:57 AM

11,084 posts, read 4,501,726 times
The biggest reason why people like cricket more than football, is because football players hardly ever score, and there are hardly any attempts to score for most of the game. Whereas cricket players are consistently scoring, either with "runs" or "wickets", plus there are more rules in cricket than most sports, so there are more scenarios.

Given how much India have dominated this World Cup, if they don't win it, on home soil and after absolutely destroying South Africa the other day..... A loss in the semi-final or final will be the worst moment in the history of Indian cricket. Especially after not winning a World Cup since 2011.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:12 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,054,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The biggest reason why people like cricket more than football, is because football players hardly ever score, and there are hardly any attempts to score for most of the game. Whereas cricket players are consistently scoring, either with "runs" or "wickets", plus there are more rules in cricket than most sports, so there are more scenarios.

Given how much India have dominated this World Cup, if they don't win it, on home soil and after absolutely destroying South Africa the other day..... A loss in the semi-final or final will be the worst moment in the history of Indian cricket. Especially after not winning a World Cup since 2011.
Exactly.
I can watch the soccer world cups, but there’s no way I could sit down and watch a whole club match in the EPL etc, for exactly the reasons you describe.
Cricket there’s always something happening, and the game has evolved to keep the spectators interested.
In the meantime, hopefully Australia can keep on their winning ways today against Afghanistan.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:14 PM

10,118 posts, read 5,838,266 times
The reigning champs haven't exactly acquitted themselves particularly well.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:05 AM

Saw this on the television screen a few minutes ago, during Australia vs. Afghanistan....

Old 12-31-2023, 09:12 PM

Brian Lara's last few years in Test Cricket.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:21 PM

Brian Lara as captain.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:50 AM

Test batting averages of some famous Australian players of recent decades:

Old 01-28-2024, 07:41 PM

5,073 posts, read 7,572,710 times
Just wanted to say welll done to the west indies for the win at the Gabba, - it can only be good for the game seeing them knock us over.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:48 PM

3,916 posts, read 4,510,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Just wanted to say welll done to the west indies for the win at the Gabba, - it can only be good for the game seeing them knock us over.
Yes fantastic win. That being said, the jaded fan in me thinks this is just yet another in a long line of false dawns. I remember the win at Headingley with Shai Hope making twin hundreds...he and the team didnt make the leap. Still, I'll take a win, especially in Australia every time. A few other thoughts:

I know he's older and has had quite a few injuries over the years, but it was shocking just how far Roach's pace has fallen off. Maybe I'm getting old, but it felt like just the other day when he was regularly topping 150 kph. Now he's almost at spinner pace at the low 120s. I dont know if the Windies is strong enough to carry a gentle medium pacer. Maybe time for him to retire.

Alzarri Joseph I thought bowled well without reward in this series, but he's been given a long run and honestly at this point of his career, I think he is what he is; an average to slightly below average fast bowler with a bowling average in the mid 30s. Just not good enough.

The spinner was trash. Let's be honest. Not good enough regardless of how many back flips he can do. Greaves is too slow at test level, probably better suited for one day/t20.

Both openers were disappointing this series. I know the Aussie pace attack is tough, but they both had been fairly good the last time they toured Australia, but made very little in the way of meaningful contributions this time around. Probably the biggest let down for the team. That being said, they are both the best the team has so have to continue with them.

On the aussie side:
We'd heard for years about how great the Sheffield Shield game is, yet the lack of suitable openers means that Khawaja and Smith are now the openers. Pretty damning if you ask me. Smith had a wonderful innings in the last test, but I think he's going to struggle opening in say England. And they are doing all of this to accommodate Green at number 4.

Speaking of Green, have to be honest, I dont get the hype about him. He's best suited as a second change bowler, and batting 6/7. In other words, a bits and pieces player which you already have in Mitchell Marsh. He's just not a genuine all rounder in the way that say Ben Stokes is. Maybe he's a slow developer but I dont think the team can carry him and Marsh as they basically do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports